Author Topic: Kris Medlen and Brandon Beachy to have 2nd TJ Surgery  (Read 16047 times)

Offline Mattionals

Shame on the Nats, Orioles, etc that let the Braves swoop in and get Santana. Ugh.

I don't shame the Nats for NOT paying 14.1 Million and losing a draft pick to a guy that is only marginally better than Detwiler, Roark or Taylor Jordan. 

Offline HalfSmokes

The Os are punting picks like crazy, I'm surprised they didn't jump on it since the comp pick would have been a third rounder

Offline NJ Ave

The Os are punting picks like crazy, I'm surprised they didn't jump on it since the comp pick would have been a third rounder

Takes two to tango. If I am a flyball homer-prone pitcher taking a 1-year deal, the last place I want to go is OPACY and the rest of those ballparks and lineups in that division.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Beachy going to miss a start in ST

Offline 3bside

The Braves are no different than they were on Saturday.  Replacing Medlen with Santana is a wash or maybe even a slight downgrade.  They still don't have a true #1 starter.  Santana is maybe a #2 or 3.   

Online Natsinpwc

How come I am not hearing about the Barves bad practices with their pitchers on ESPN and MLB???????
Of course, the decision to stretch Medlen out helped them win the World Series--oops I forgot they lost the play in game that year.

Online Slateman

The Braves are no different than they were on Saturday.  Replacing Medlen with Santana is a wash or maybe even a slight downgrade.  They still don't have a true #1 starter.  Santana is maybe a #2 or 3.   

Uh . . . Beachy is a #1

Offline Dave301

How come I am not hearing about the Barves bad practices with their pitchers on ESPN and MLB???????
Of course, the decision to stretch Medlen out helped them win the World Series--oops I forgot they lost the play in game that year.
I see it being discussed on forums/message boards though. I'm sure people in the media will start to bring it up soon.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Smart move by him, though. If I were a homer prone pitcher, I wouldn't want to "reestablish my value" playing in those AL East ballparks against those AL East teams.

Besides Philly (which has a pretty bad lineup), all the other parks in the NL East suppress home runs. Besides the AL West, probably not a better fit for him.
Atlanta has a batter ballpark factor of 104, per B-R, but Fangraphs and ESPN have Turner as negative.  :shrug:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Beachy going to miss a start in ST

Surprising no one.

Offline 3bside

Don't forget Jonny Venters.  They pitched him to death two years ago, and he's now recovering from his second TJ.  They're becoming the poster child for what not to do with TJ.  Knock wood that SS and JZim stay healthy. 

Offline HalfSmokes

because it's easier to bloviate about how tough guys used to be, and pampering, and old school than it is to talk about how arms are inherently fragile and may need to be treated that way

Offline NJ Ave

Atlanta has a batter ballpark factor of 104, per B-R, but Fangraphs and ESPN have Turner as negative.  :shrug:

I was talking specifically about HR factor, which is Santana's biggest flaw (39 HRs in 2012!). Like Philly actually suppressed overall hits in 2013, but had the highest HR factor in the majors. NL East stadiums, regardless of overall run environments, tend to suppress home runs specifically.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor/_/year/2013/sort/HRFactor

AL East, meanwhile, has 3 of the top 9 HR ballparks, including OPACY at #4.

Online Natsinpwc

Don't forget Jonny Venters.  They pitched him to death two years ago, and he's now recovering from his second TJ.  They're becoming the poster child for what not to do with TJ.  Knock wood that SS and JZim stay healthy.
I am knocking right now.  No one seems sure what works best and everyone's arm is probably different in how it will react.  The nats approach seems to make sense long run. 

Online Natsinpwc

because it's easier to bloviate about how tough guys used to be, and pampering, and old school than it is to talk about how arms are inherently fragile and may need to be treated that way

Bloviate; I like that.

Offline NJ Ave

To be honest, this might be an organizational philosophy - as cold as that sounds. But if you're getting screwed on your local TV deal and have to operate with a crap budget, is it really in your best interest to baby your pitchers along so they'll be productive for other teams, after you can no longer afford them?

Offline NJ Ave

I mean, do the Braves care about Tommy Hanson beyond getting 9 wins out of Tommy Hanson for about $2 million?

Offline HalfSmokes

To be honest, this might be an organizational philosophy - as cold as that sounds. But if you're getting screwed on your local TV deal and have to operate with a crap budget, is it really in your best interest to baby your pitchers along so they'll be productive for other teams, after you can no longer afford them?

that was my view on the strasburg shutdown. There is some logic in getting a couple of very cheap elite years vs. watching guys acquire service time on the DL or while resting on the end of the bench especially if those cheap years coincide with playoff runs

Offline sportsfan882

David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves  1m
"High likelihood" that #Braves Medlen is going to need a 2nd Tommy John surgery
Expand

Offline PC

I can't imagine Rizzo ever addressing a need so quickly and decisively.

Offline PC

Well, shame on the Orioles, certainly. Don't know what part the Nats play in this. In 211 innings last year, Santana was a 3-win player according to Fangraphs. In 175 innings, Roark/Detwiler/Jordan were worth 3 wins as well. At worst, each looks like a 2-win SP, which is a level Santana has only surpassed in 2 of the previous 5 years.

You sign him so the Braves can't get him.  First, you never have too much pitching depth, considering the team has already had a starter injury (Fister).   Next, it puts the team in an infinitely more advantageous position to win the division and it's just a one-year deal.

We are going to regret Rizzo's lack of action here.

Online Slateman

You sign him so the Braves can't get him.  First, you never have too much pitching depth, considering the team has already had a starter injury (Fister).   Next, it puts the team in an infinitely more advantageous position to win the division and it's just a one-year deal.

When you're enemy is making a mistake, you don't stop him. Even if Santana repeats last season, he can't replace Medlen and Beachy. They're betting a lot on Tehran right now.

Offline pazzo83

This is ridiculous logic.  We can't just sign whomever we want.  Fister is going to be fine, plus we literally have THREE guys fighting for the 5th spot.

Offline CurlyW4lyfe

I honestly have no idea why you're expecting the Nats GM to have full clairvoyance regarding Braves pitcher health and depth and to make moves accordingly. Dropping 14 million and the draft pick under the basic reasoning of not letting someone else, even a division rival, have him is honestly one of the dumbest suggestions I've heard out of this whole situation.