Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer  (Read 74278 times)

Online Natsinpwc

Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #1050: February 26, 2020, 09:36:14 PM »
Has anyone been to the Board Room Brewing Company in the Clarendon section of Arlington ?
Sounds like a CIA cover.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1052: March 28, 2020, 11:15:37 AM »
I tried this beer. Assumed it was some local Florida brew but turns out it’s from Charleston SC. Not bad. Nice for hot weather.  (Which it has been in Florida the past few weeks).

https://www.islandcoastallager.com/

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1053: March 28, 2020, 04:49:36 PM »
Stopped at Port City in Alexandria earlier today. Wanted beer and I wanted to support a local small business. They’re doing drive-thru beer sales in the lot out front—pull up to the right of the traffic cones, roll down your window and tell them what you want, and pay (credit or debit only) while another employee fills your order. I got two crowlers of Monumental IPA. They are not filling customers' growlers right now to avoid the risk of infection from handling items they haven’t controlled, which is why I opted for crowlers—I don’t want to buy another growler.

Beer at the grocery store is certainly less expensive, but it’s nice to help out the local places if possible. I don’t know whether Fair Winds in Newington is doing something similar. Might drive past there tomorrow to see. I know I could call, but it’s a good excuse to run the cars since we're not moving them very often these days.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1054: March 28, 2020, 04:56:29 PM »
Stopped at Port City in Alexandria earlier today. Wanted beer and I wanted to support a local small business. They’re doing drive-thru beer sales in the lot out front—pull up to the right of the traffic cones, roll down your window and tell them what you want, and pay (credit or debit only) while another employee fills your order. I got two crowlers of Monumental IPA. They are not filling customers' growlers right now to avoid the risk of infection from handling items they haven’t controlled, which is why I opted for crowlers—I don’t want to buy another growler.

Beer at the grocery store is certainly less expensive, but it’s nice to help out the local places if possible. I don’t know whether Fair Winds in Newington is doing something similar. Might drive past there tomorrow to see. I know I could call, but it’s a good excuse to run the cars since we're not moving them very often these days.

If you’re in Alexandria, Unwind has two locations- super good beer selection (wine too) and really nice owners (they just opened a wine/beer bar too - so not a good time for everything to shut down). I ordered by phone (just told them the brands I like and New England IPA around 7-8% and let them pick) a pulled up front and they put it in the trunk

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1055: March 28, 2020, 05:59:34 PM »
Are they the ones who have a store down on Belle View Boulevard at Fort Hunt Road in the shopping center where Roy Rogers is (and where a big fire was not too long ago)? The name sounds familiar. I think I went there once because they carry Well Hung wine and I wanted a bottle for a relative because of its name.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1056: March 28, 2020, 06:18:29 PM »
Are they the ones who have a store down on Belle View Boulevard at Fort Hunt Road in the shopping center where Roy Rogers is (and where a big fire was not too long ago)? The name sounds familiar. I think I went there once because they carry Well Hung wine and I wanted a bottle for a relative because of its name.

That’s them- they have a place next door now too. They also have another location in the bradlee shopping center

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1057: April 15, 2020, 01:11:49 PM »

We've been doing carry-out once a week to support our local restaurants.  Week 1 was Dogfish Head in Greenbrier, got a crowler of The Perfect Disguise to go with dinner.  I'm tired of IPA's but the Kolsch angle was appealing, in all it was a very smooth, nice beer.

On the surface, The Perfect Disguise looks like a straightforward Kölsch with a crisp Kölsch yeast and traditional German malts and hops … but things aren’t always what they seem. With a quick sniff and a slight sip, you’re greeted by a creamy mouthfeel and full body thanks to the addition of a unique German chit malt - the first hint that this beer may be somewhat different.

Hiding deeper behind that German disguise is the double dry-hopping of an American Double IPA, with nearly 4 lbs. of German and American hops per barrel. It brings tropical flavors of citrus, tangerine, mango, gooseberries and peach

Also have a crowler aging in the back of the fridge - a Bourbon Barrel-Aged World Wide Stout. 

Our brewers decided to take a Dogfish Head legend and age it on charred oak bourbon barrels acquired directly from Heaven Hill Distillery – still wet with spirits when they arrived at the brewery!

Rare and often rumored about in the darkest corners of the beer community, this variety of World Wide Stout is dark, rich, roasty and complex, balancing notes of coffee and licorice with the carmely, smooth finish of bourbon.

Clocking in at 15-18% ABV, Bourbon Barrel-Aged World Wide Stout is an excellent candidate for cellaring, so grab a few bottle to enjoy now and lay the others down for a few years. You’ll be happy you did … trust us.

Lest you think I have no appreciate at all for instant gratification, I had a glass of this with dinner (pre-COVID days in December) before bringing home the crowler.  This beer is an absolute beast.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1058: April 24, 2020, 07:56:36 PM »
Drinking some Lost Rhino Face Plant IPA. They are out of Ashburn. Tbh, I am not the biggest IPA guy, but I had really enjoyed their hefeweizen, so when CCSP brought this in after the Super Bowl, I decided to not complain when they gave me a 4-pack of this to go instead. This is heavy hopped, not much malt to it. Anyone familiar with the brewery?

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1059: April 25, 2020, 11:22:57 AM »
Port City advertising a "Mexican Dark." I assume it’s probably similar to a Negra Modelo. May swing by there today or tomorrow to get a few cans or a crowler to give it a try. First we're headed out to Linden to pick up wine at Fox Meadow. They have a sale on their 2018 Rosé, buy a case and get it for half price, so we're getting a case of that plus six bottles of other stuff (two Chardonnay, two Pinot Grigio, two Cabernet Franc). Didn’t want to pay $35 to ship when it’s only a 70-mile drive and it provides a nice excuse for a change of scenery, even though the tasting room is closed. They said to call ahead when we're half an hour away so they can be ready to load it into the car when we get there.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1060: April 25, 2020, 08:39:20 PM »
Following up on my previous post. Good stuff. Less hoppy than most beers I drink, but more flavor than Negra Modelo. This will be a good summertime beer if it’s still available then. They’re selling it in four-packs of 16-ounce cans.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1061: April 25, 2020, 10:10:36 PM »
Thanks Hoo, that looks like something I'd pounce on if I saw it.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1062: April 26, 2020, 11:12:39 AM »
Thanks Hoo, that looks like something I'd pounce on if I saw it.

I don’t know whether they’re selling it anywhere other than at the brewery. We stopped there yesterday on our way home. The tasting room itself is closed, but they have a drive-up line out front (credit or debit only). They’re not filling customers' growlers for sanitary reasons. They’ll sell you a new growler or crowlers, although the Mexican Dark only comes in four-packs of 16-ounce cans.

If you want directions, let me know. It’s on Wheeler Avenue in Alexandria—an industrial area along the train tracks south of Duke Street, not an area you’d wander into by accident because it’s sort of isolated from most of the street system.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1063: May 16, 2020, 10:22:59 PM »
I don’t know whether they’re selling it anywhere other than at the brewery. We stopped there yesterday on our way home. The tasting room itself is closed, but they have a drive-up line out front (credit or debit only). They’re not filling customers' growlers for sanitary reasons. They’ll sell you a new growler or crowlers, although the Mexican Dark only comes in four-packs of 16-ounce cans.

If you want directions, let me know. It’s on Wheeler Avenue in Alexandria—an industrial area along the train tracks south of Duke Street, not an area you’d wander into by accident because it’s sort of isolated from most of the street system.

I've been there once before - they had a debut of an oyster stout, served with oysters on the half shell.  Quite a party, place was packed.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1064: May 16, 2020, 10:42:03 PM »
Harris Teeter sells several varieties of Port City but I haven't seen the Mexican Dark.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #1066: May 28, 2020, 07:30:45 AM »
A possibility - just a possibility at this writing - that Britain's pubs may be able to re-open sooner than the previously announced 4th July: https://www.standard.co.uk/business/pub-chiefs-welcome-talk-of-earlier-reopening-date-a4453141.html

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #1067: September 16, 2020, 11:04:42 AM »
Yuengling has entered into an agreement with MolsonCoors to ramp up production and distribution to the West coast.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1068: September 16, 2020, 11:16:16 AM »
crappy mass produced beer teams up with crappy mass produced beer

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1070: October 24, 2020, 08:01:03 PM »
Having a Golden Road "Mango Cart" mango wheat beer in honor of my niece's birthday. She's in LA, and that's her and her boyfriend's favorite brewery. They drink seltzer, but hey, it's close.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1071: October 24, 2020, 08:36:12 PM »
Why does it seem like $20 is the new standard for a 4 pack

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1072: October 24, 2020, 08:55:08 PM »

What’s a 12 pack of Milwaukee’s Best going for now?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1073: October 24, 2020, 10:47:37 PM »
Are these the same beers that are going for $6-7 for a draft at the bar ?  It's not your Budweiser any longer.

Offline MonsterUSMC

• GO NATS! GO TAR HEELS!!!
« Reply #1074: October 30, 2020, 09:31:35 AM »
For anyone in the Fredericksburg, VA area - if you haven't tried Spencer Devon Brewing, you might want to check them out.  They are downtown.
Their beer is phenomenal, and their food is good too.  They have a few mainstay brews, but much of what they make is seasonal.  I recently had their "Nine Daughters Ale," and it may have been the best beer I have ever tasted.  Cheers!   :cheers: