Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer  (Read 74256 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #1000: January 04, 2019, 04:58:01 PM »
PBR is a perfectly adequate gulping beer, not that much worse than Belgian macrobrews like Jupiler and Maes. 

When I got out of the Army, the local hang out had PBR on tap.    I don't know how I survived those days   ....   the PBR, not the Army.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1001: January 04, 2019, 05:00:25 PM »
Context is everything with that kind of beer.  The thought of combining PBR and good food is appalling, but drinking 7 or 8 from the can while lying in the sun and noisily belching when anyone walks past seems fine. 

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #1002: January 04, 2019, 05:01:26 PM »
PBR is a perfectly adequate gulping beer, not that much worse than Belgian macrobrews like Jupiler and Maes. 

If I’m drinking that kind of beer I prefer watered down and flavorless (ie bud light) to something with an aggressively bad flavor

• babble on
« Reply #1003: January 04, 2019, 05:03:34 PM »
Isn't PBR just Coors heavy?  Or is it Miller?  They're all pretty much the same class of medical device  :lol: 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1004: January 04, 2019, 05:03:37 PM »
If I’m drinking that kind of beer I prefer watered down and cloverleaf (ie bud light) to something with an aggressively bad flavor

"Aggressive bad flavor"  ....   :clap:     Exactly

• babble on
« Reply #1005: January 04, 2019, 05:05:23 PM »
That is exactly how I feel about the new Strongbow cider.  It's like apple(ish) Robitussin with a slightly fishy aftertaste.
"Aggressive bad flavor"  ....   :clap:     Exactly

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1006: January 04, 2019, 05:06:17 PM »
That is exactly how I feel about the new Strongbow cider.  It's like apple(ish) Robitussin with a slightly fishy aftertaste.

Robitussin was the bomb when it still had codeine over the counter.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #1007: January 04, 2019, 05:07:05 PM »

It what I think about which the miller light more flavor commercials - why do they think that’s a good thing

• babble on
« Reply #1008: January 04, 2019, 05:08:44 PM »
Hey I miss getting tincture of laudanum at the corner chemist too, but times have changed and you can't just sleep as your horse finds its own way home. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1009: January 04, 2019, 05:15:50 PM »
Hey I miss getting tincture of laudanum at the corner chemist too, but times have changed and you can't just sleep as your horse finds its own way home. 

We had cars and indoor plumbing; electric lights   ...   there may even have been computers in town.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1010: January 04, 2019, 05:42:02 PM »
They're on a par.    If I were serious about mass destruction, I'd recommend Old Frothingslosh or National Bohemian.    Beer has come so far since the day of the regional mass production beer makers.     I just hope the Chinese don't discover the Vienna Lager choice (Devil's Backbone) on the third deck of Nats' Park.

The worst beer I ever tasted was Utica Club.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1011: January 04, 2019, 06:03:35 PM »
The worst beer I ever tasted was Utica Club.
used to sell beer balls of it, which we like half a quarter keg.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #1012: January 04, 2019, 08:30:11 PM »
used to sell beer balls of it, which we like half a quarter keg.

You live near Utica, you need that much of it.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #1013: January 04, 2019, 08:35:57 PM »
You live near Utica, you need that much of it.

I went to school between Syracuse and Utica and never saw it- saranac was the only local stuff they had

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #1014: January 04, 2019, 08:38:39 PM »
I went to school between Syracuse and Utica and never saw it- saranac was the only local stuff they had

This would have been the late 70s. You might not have been born yet. :)

Saranac makes pretty okay beer. Whole different class.

Molson and Labatts mostly in college up there?  Seems like the late 70s and 80s were the peak for Canadian beers. :)

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #1015: January 04, 2019, 09:11:47 PM »

Molson and Labatts mostly in college up there?  Seems like the late 70s and 80s were the peak for Canadian beers. :)

No molson, labatt blue didn’t stand out as common at the time, but we drank it regularly and I haven’t really thought of it since. Milwaukee’s beast was the standard though

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1016: January 04, 2019, 10:47:14 PM »

Had a buddy in Saint John, NB (stop me if you've heard this story :) ) and that was my Alpine/Moosehead days.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1017: January 05, 2019, 11:12:04 AM »
If we're going to be in upstate I'll put in a plug for Genesee Cream Ale, widely available on tap in the Albany area back in the '80's.   I'd had the cans before and was unimpressed but the fresh draft was a decent staple for the era.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1018: January 05, 2019, 11:16:21 AM »
If we're going to be in upstate I'll put in a plug for Genesee Cream Ale, widely available on tap in the Albany area back in the '80's.   I'd had the cans before and was unimpressed but the fresh draft was a decent staple for the era.

my family in the Albany area is partial to Labatts.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1019: January 05, 2019, 11:25:46 AM »

At somepoint way back when, I rode up to W. PA to visit family.    My brother-in-law suggested lunch at a local pub.    Got a nice sammich and decided on the beer.    They had Genny Cream Ale on tap.    I was floored.    That was a great beer.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1020: January 06, 2019, 06:44:19 AM »
My brother-in-law was from upstate NY and it was all he ever drank.  But at the time, I only saw Genesee in cans and it wasn't for me anymore than Bud or Miller.  But I would have liked to have gotten a chance to try it on tap.

• babble on
« Reply #1021: January 07, 2019, 08:48:01 PM »
In those days one had to drive from Vancouver to Bellingham to buy Moosehead.  And god help you if you try to buy margarine.   

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #1022: January 08, 2019, 10:24:40 AM »

That would provide one reason why Strongbow has lost so much ground to Aspall cider in the central London pubs in recent years (along with, of course, the fact that Aspall's owner Greene King now seems to own most of the pubs in central London, following its acquisition of Taylor Walker).

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #1023: January 08, 2019, 10:31:47 AM »

I was in Brussels nearly a decade ago and Jupiler and Maes (especially the latter) were actually easier to find there than Stella.

For those seeking PBR by the can, check out Hamilton's, across the street from where I work (233 2nd St NW).

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #1024: May 09, 2019, 09:17:15 PM »
Dogfish Head and Boston Beer (makers of Sam Adams) are merging in a deal valued at $300 million.