Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer  (Read 73634 times)

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #975: November 11, 2018, 11:37:06 PM »
Is ChurchKey still the place one has to be at for the latest on beer in the DC area ?

It's my go-to recently, but I'm not sure if it's the place to be.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #976: November 12, 2018, 12:59:16 PM »
On a different time & space continuum, Pabst Blue Ribbon claims Miller to trying to put it out of business

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pabst-says-millercoors-trying-put-154612130.html

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #977: November 12, 2018, 01:05:02 PM »
That Pabst even exists as a band is the utter triumph of form over function, and probably would not have been possible without "Blue Velvet". 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #978: November 12, 2018, 01:36:29 PM »
That Pabst even exists as a band is the utter triumph of form over function, and probably would not have been possible without "Blue Velvet". 

:hysterical:

When guys got back "home" after military service, everybody would gather at the local watering hole and tell lies.    Believe it or not  ....  we had PBR on tap.    To this day, I say it tasted like coffee grinds.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #979: November 12, 2018, 01:47:28 PM »
So is it possible you will miss PBR ?

When guys got back "home" after military service, everybody would gather at the local watering hole and tell lies.    Believe it or not  ....  we had PBR on tap.    To this day, I say it tasted like coffee grinds.

• babble on
« Reply #980: November 12, 2018, 01:50:55 PM »
Not Iron City?  I happened across a pub in London that had a small stash of Iron City cans.  Probably left over from when Elvis was in the army. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #981: November 12, 2018, 01:55:59 PM »
So is it possible you will miss PBR ?

Haven't had a sip of it since October, 1971.    :)

Not Iron City?  I happened across a pub in London that had a small stash of Iron City cans.  Probably left over from when Elvis was in the army. 

We always joke that real people from W. PA don't drink Iron City and don't say "yinz".

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #982: November 12, 2018, 03:42:49 PM »
On a different time & space continuum, Pabst Blue Ribbon claims Miller to trying to put it out of business

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pabst-says-millercoors-trying-put-154612130.html

The case has high stakes for Pabst, whose lawyers argue that the company's very existence relies on the partnership with Chicago-based MillerCoors, which produces, packages and ships nearly all its products, which include Pabst Blue Ribbon, Old Milwaukee, Natty Boh and Lone Star.

Sounds like they’re more of a brand than a brewery - perhaps they should have diversified suppliers

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #983: November 12, 2018, 07:09:36 PM »
Sounds like they’re more of a brand than a brewery - perhaps they should have diversified suppliers

If you read the entire article, supposedly there is no other producer with sufficient capacity. 

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #984: November 12, 2018, 07:12:03 PM »
If you read the entire article, supposedly there is no other producer with sufficient capacity. 

There is- but InBev doesn’t contract out their breweries, maybe Miller wants to follow suit. Selling something you have no ability to produce absent one supplier who happens to also be a competitor seems like a crappy plan

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #985: November 12, 2018, 07:17:31 PM »
There is- but InBev doesn’t contract out their breweries, maybe Miller wants to follow suit. Selling something you have no ability to produce absent one supplier who happens to also be a competitor seems like a crappy plan

It is a weak plan but they have 2 five year extensions available to them, and have no choice but to slug it out in court. 

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #986: November 12, 2018, 07:19:42 PM »
It is a weak plan but they have 2 five year extensions available to them, and have no choice but to slug it out in court. 

Sounds like the 5 year extensions are negotiable- even if miller negotiates in ‘good faith,’ there’s no guarantee that Pabst gets a palatable deal

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #987: November 12, 2018, 08:11:02 PM »
Sounds like the 5 year extensions are negotiable- even if miller negotiates in ‘good faith,’ there’s no guarantee that Pabst gets a palatable deal

We're all mostly guessing, but my own guess was that it's a firm extension for a specified cost, but that Miller had an "out" if they lacked capacity to make Pabst.  It was probably contemplated that Miller would use this if its own product demand had increased, not that they could close the two plants and then say "hey, look now, we don't have enough capacity".  Seems very shady.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #988: December 29, 2018, 06:17:15 PM »
Took a buddy and his family to Dulles for a trip to Iceland.    He brought me back LAVA Smoked Imperial Stout.   

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #989: January 04, 2019, 05:04:52 AM »
Here is an interesting article on how well known beer companies are not doing as well anymore, for many beer drinkers want variety and are getting bored with the well known brands.  Does anyone else feel this way ?  I know of a microbrewery here in OBX that's brewing many beers with lots of different flavors (and some high ABV levels).  If anyone visits OBX this year, I recommend visiting the Lost Colony Brewery & Cafe in Manteo.

https://vinepair.com/articles/hop-take-flagship-beers-failing/

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #990: January 04, 2019, 11:40:48 AM »
This afternoon Port City in Alexandria will release a beer to raise money for the Camp Fire victims in California:

https://www.portcitybrewing.com/events/resilience-ipa-release/

Port City's located on Wheeler Avenue—runs parallel to and south of Duke Street. Coming from Old Town, take Duke Street west and make a left at the light at the McDonald's just west of Quaker Lane and follow to the brewery, a small warehouse-like building on the left. Coming from Landmark or other points west, take Duke Street east and either make a right onto Gordon Street at the light where Fuddruckers used to be, then follow Gordon to the end and turn left, or alternatively stay on Duke a little further east past the Mexican restaurant and make a right on Floyd Street, follow it to the end, and make a right. (If you miss both Gordon and Floyd, just turn right at the McDonald's a little further east.) In all cases, be careful to park legally—neighboring businesses will have you towed if you park on their premises, and City of Alexandria parking enforcement sweeps through the area regularly monitoring things like parking on the hydrants.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #991: January 04, 2019, 11:47:36 AM »
In China, PBR is serious business:  https://gawker.com/5592399/pabst-blue-ribbon-will-run-you-44-a-bottle-in-china

Apparently it is a slightly different formula and cask aged, but it's selling at $44 a bottle.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #992: January 04, 2019, 12:00:40 PM »
In China, PBR is serious business:  https://gawker.com/5592399/pabst-blue-ribbon-will-run-you-44-a-bottle-in-china

Apparently it is a slightly different formula and cask aged, but it's selling at $44 a bottle.

Hope it's a CIA plot.    That's the worst beer I ever drank.    It cannot be saved by reformulation.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #993: January 04, 2019, 12:48:24 PM »

I think a lot of it may have to do with the metric conversion factor.  12 oz. is roughly 355 ml.

These are 720 ml bottles.  If they sold it 12 ounce bottles, it would only be about 75 cents...  :D

Still 10x what it's actually worth...

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #994: January 04, 2019, 02:10:59 PM »

The only reason GM saved the Buick line when they eliminated divsions 10 years ago or so was because the chi-coms think Buick is the cats meow. The world's biggest market, yada, yada, yada.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #995: January 04, 2019, 04:33:14 PM »
This afternoon Port City in Alexandria will release a beer to raise money for the Camp Fire victims in California:

https://www.portcitybrewing.com/events/resilience-ipa-release/

I picked up a growler and a crowler of this beer this afternoon after trying a sample. Good stuff, worth trying if you like IPAs, especially in view of the charitable purpose. (My wife even WANTED me to go buy beer because of the cause. She normally rolls her eyes at my drinking beer.)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #996: January 04, 2019, 04:34:43 PM »
Hope it's a CIA plot.    That's the worst beer I ever drank.    It cannot be saved by reformulation.
Iron City?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #997: January 04, 2019, 04:37:03 PM »
Iron City?

They're on a par.    If I were serious about mass destruction, I'd recommend Old Frothingslosh or National Bohemian.    Beer has come so far since the day of the regional mass production beer makers.     I just hope the Chinese don't discover the Vienna Lager choice (Devil's Backbone) on the third deck of Nats' Park.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #998: January 04, 2019, 04:52:02 PM »
I picked up a growler and a crowler of this beer this afternoon after trying a sample. Good stuff, worth trying if you like IPAs, especially in view of the charitable purpose. (My wife even WANTED me to go buy beer because of the cause. She normally rolls her eyes at my drinking beer.)

I've always enjoyed Port City beers.

• babble on
« Reply #999: January 04, 2019, 04:56:29 PM »
PBR is a perfectly adequate gulping beer, not that much worse than Belgian macrobrews like Jupiler and Maes.