Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer  (Read 74382 times)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #950: April 30, 2018, 09:35:46 AM »
I note that Corona Extra has just come out with a new 'ultra' brew to compete with Michelob Ultra.

Now regular Corona Extra has no taste...and neither, for that matter, does Michelob Ultra...can a theoretical 'beer' have negative taste?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #951: April 30, 2018, 01:03:00 PM »
If I'm hauling a six pack up a fricking mountain like those lycra lizards in the ads, it had goddamn better be better than that piss.  I'm thinking imperial stout ABV, maybe absinthe in one of the bottles. 

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #952: May 30, 2018, 07:38:32 AM »
Got back from Bucharest yesterday. As with Sofia which I visited last year, none of the local brands (mostly snapped up by West European biggies after the Soviet empire fell apart) are known over here except to beer tourist, and the basic flavour is on the lightish side (albeit not watery). But the reason you should check Romania/Bulgaria out  is the incredibly low prices. At a café across the street from my hotel a 330mL bottle of Bere Bucuresti ('Beer of Bucharest - how original) will run you 10 lei (USD3.80), and at a more or less Irish-themed pub nearby a pint of Holsten, Tuborg or Carlsberg will set you back as little as 8 lei (USD 2.11). In the Radisson Blu hotel I stayed in it does get a bit pricier - a pint of domestically brewed Ursus costs 19 lei (USD5) but even  and, at their poolside bar just a routine grounder  away from that bar, it'll run you 23 lei (USD6.05) - but still comparing favourably to many London pubs recently (and American sports arenas!).

Romanian beers may not have the full-bodied refreshing flavour that I remember from Sofia, but in both cases they're still worth checking out 'cos they're CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #953: May 30, 2018, 08:54:53 AM »
Got back from Bucharest yesterday. As with Sofia which I visited last year, none of the local brands (mostly snapped up by West European biggies after the Soviet empire fell apart) are known over here except to beer tourist, and the basic flavour is on the lightish side (albeit not watery). But the reason you should check Romania/Bulgaria out  is the incredibly low prices. At a café across the street from my hotel a 330mL bottle of Bere Bucuresti ('Beer of Bucharest - how original) will run you 10 lei (USD3.80), and at a more or less Irish-themed pub nearby a pint of Holsten, Tuborg or Carlsberg will set you back as little as 8 lei (USD 2.11). In the Radisson Blu hotel I stayed in it does get a bit pricier - a pint of domestically brewed Ursus costs 19 lei (USD5) but even  and, at their poolside bar just a routine grounder  away from that bar, it'll run you 23 lei (USD6.05) - but still comparing favourably to many London pubs recently (and American sports arenas!).

Romanian beers may not have the full-bodied refreshing flavour that I remember from Sofia, but in both cases they're still worth checking out 'cos they're CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP.

Is that cheap? I'll just go down the street and grab a $2 Natty Boh can at any hipster bar :)

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #954: May 30, 2018, 09:26:14 AM »
Is that cheap? I'll just go down the street and grab a $2 Natty Boh can at any hipster bar :)

Certainly cheap compared to most of the places I've been to abroad, and as for comparisons with Nats Park and the Phone Booth* - an intergalactic difference. Besides, I'm not a hipster.

*Even though it's no longer named for a telecoms company I still treat 'Phone Booth' as a valid nickname for the basketball/hockey arena at 7th and F - Capital One still offers telephone-based (at least smartphone-based) banking services.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #955: May 30, 2018, 09:30:40 AM »

*Even though it's no longer named for a telecoms company I still treat 'Phone Booth' as a valid nickname for the basketball/hockey arena at 7th and F - Capital One still offers telephone-based (at least smartphone-based) banking services.

It's the loan booth now.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #956: May 30, 2018, 09:38:06 AM »
It's the loan booth now.

That's a good one...

I call it the ATM...

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #957: May 30, 2018, 09:45:17 AM »
It's the loan booth now.

Does have a bit of a ring to it.

• babble on
« Reply #958: May 30, 2018, 11:05:50 AM »
Back when I was last in Sofia (mid 90s, some layovers flying Balkan between JFK and Johannesburg) a half litre of the local swill was like 50 cents.  No one spoke English and the signs were all in Cyrillic, so between that and being off yer haid on beer all day, it was easy to get really lost.
Certainly cheap compared to most of the places I've been to abroad, and as for comparisons with Nats Park and the Phone Booth* - an intergalactic difference. Besides, I'm not a hipster.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #959: May 30, 2018, 11:19:04 AM »
Back when I was last in Sofia (mid 90s, some layovers flying Balkan between JFK and Johannesburg) a half litre of the local swill was like 50 cents.  No one spoke English and the signs were all in Cyrillic, so between that and being off yer haid on beer all day, it was easy to get really lost.

When I was in Sofia last year the half-litre cans (of decent brew, sort of like the stuff I drank at university in the 70's) the prices as I recall them weren't that much higher - USD2 apiece at worst.  (I speak some Russian so had no difficulties with Cyrillic.) I usually don't revisit places (apart from London) after short intervals but I've got to get back to that nondescript little café just down the street from my hotel, near the train and bus stations - I could think of way worse ways to spend a nice afternoon than guzzling USD2 half litres of perfectly decent local brew.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #960: July 09, 2018, 11:44:51 AM »
Relatively recent addition to the repertoire at TVFKATRP*: Estrella Jalisco, a decent Mexican brew (be sure to ask for it without the lemon slice).

*The Venue Formerly Known As The Red Porch (when I'm at the ballpark I like to pop into TVFKATRP before going to TBSITH).

• babble on
« Reply #961: July 09, 2018, 12:37:31 PM »
Huh, no kidding.  I do miss the $5 16-ounce cans of Urquell.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #962: July 09, 2018, 01:08:28 PM »
Huh, no kidding.  I do miss the $5 16-ounce cans of Urquell.

So do I. Urquell is one of my favourites (toured their brewery back in 2003) - getting harder to find in this area nowadays; I still find it at a few London pubs (such as the Bear and Staff in Charing Cross road).

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #963: August 19, 2018, 07:32:20 PM »
I had a New Holland Bourbon Stout tonight.  9%.  Sweet from the bourbon. Nice.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #964: August 19, 2018, 08:38:36 PM »
Are you talking about the one called "Dragon's Milk" or a different one?  I'm typically not a huge fan of that style, but that was a rare one that I really enjoyed.  I've had a bunch where the bourbon was too overpowering, but not with that one.

Speaking of stouts, I highly recommend Alesmith Speedway Stout.  One of the most delicious, well-balanced imperial stouts I've ever had.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #965: August 19, 2018, 09:03:02 PM »
I just saw a movie at Alamo Drafthouse for the first time- that beer list puts most restaurants to shame - it’s worth going there for that alone

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #966: August 19, 2018, 10:29:34 PM »
Are you talking about the one called "Dragon's Milk" or a different one?  I'm typically not a huge fan of that style, but that was a rare one that I really enjoyed.  I've had a bunch where the bourbon was too overpowering, but not with that one.

Speaking of stouts, I highly recommend Alesmith Speedway Stout.  One of the most delicious, well-balanced imperial stouts I've ever had.
yes that was it.  I have trouble keeping track of more than the brewery name and style (and the alcohol!).

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
« Reply #967: August 19, 2018, 11:07:57 PM »
I just saw a movie at Alamo Drafthouse for the first time- that beer list puts most restaurants to shame - it’s worth going there for that alone

Alamo Drafthouse is great. I visited one, for the first time, in New York a long time ago and fell in love. Not only is their beer selection great, but the food isn't half bad. I did the whole dine-and-watch thing the first time only. I don't have the money to blow on food and beer. The tickets are pretty expensive as is.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #968: October 17, 2018, 04:47:41 AM »
Climate change is having an effect on beer ingredients and beer prices

https://weather.com/science/environment/news/2018-10-16-beer-prices-shortage-climate-change

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
« Reply #969: October 17, 2018, 09:00:12 AM »
Maybe now people will listen.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #970: October 17, 2018, 05:41:37 PM »
Maybe now people will listen.

Screw that mumbo jumbo.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #971: October 17, 2018, 06:40:41 PM »
Screw that mumbo jumbo.
You certainly debunked that.  :rofl:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #973: November 07, 2018, 12:39:48 PM »
Good cause today in Leesburg:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/loco-ale-trail-hangarfest-2018-tickets-50877279312

Best beers of the day:

House 6 Brewing, Ashburn VA

Smoke Eater Smoked Porter      ABV 6.5%

Dark brown, robust body with hints of chocolate and caramel.    Pronounced, but smooth smoke finish.

Adroit Theory Brewing, Purcellville, VA

Russian Stout  ....  dark with vanilla  ....  smooth    ABV 12.0%

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #974: November 11, 2018, 10:47:37 PM »
Is ChurchKey still the place one has to be at for the latest on beer in the DC area ?