Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer  (Read 74266 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #925: January 23, 2018, 02:45:53 PM »
Drink water. Drink a real beer. Drink water. :D

Global warming. I love me a good schwarzbier or a pale ale, but when it's super hot outside, the body wants a beer that is almost water.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #926: January 23, 2018, 03:18:11 PM »
Drink water. Drink a real beer. Drink water. :D

lack of appreciation for real beer doesn't seem like bud's problem

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #927: January 23, 2018, 03:19:30 PM »
A congent point.
lack of appreciation for real beer doesn't seem like bud's problem

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #928: January 24, 2018, 08:47:27 AM »
Global warming. I love me a good schwarzbier or a pale ale, but when it's super hot outside, the body wants a beer that is almost water.

And that's where 'light beers' do have their role...when it isn't really a matter of proper beer taste but rather of just staying cooled-off and hydrated on a beastly hot July/August afternoon.

But when it once more becomes a matter of serious beer taste, it's time for the central European lagers (especially those ones I have to go back to Eastern Europe to get) and the real English ales (like you'll find at Nicholson pubs in London)..

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #929: January 24, 2018, 08:57:37 AM »
And that's where 'light beers' do have their role...when it isn't really a matter of proper beer taste but rather of just staying cooled-off and hydrate  on a beastly hot July/August afternoon.
Session ipas fill that role well

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #930: January 24, 2018, 09:13:31 AM »
Flying Dog in Frederick used to make a beer called Underdog Atlantic Lager. Perfect lawnmower beer. And it's still real beer.

And that's where 'light beers' do have their role...when it isn't really a matter of proper beer taste but rather of just staying cooled-off and hydrated on a beastly hot July/August afternoon.

But when it once more becomes a matter of serious beer taste, it's time for the central European lagers (especially those ones I have to go back to Eastern Europe to get) and the real English ales (like you'll find at Nicholson pubs in London)..

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #931: January 24, 2018, 01:56:27 PM »
Pilsner Urquell is my go-to beer when it is melt-your-face hot.  Or Singha, though I've yet to find that in a ballpark.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #932: January 24, 2018, 01:56:43 PM »
One of the best beer events of the year is coming up in Silver Spring. Love Thy Beer  Winter Warmer Showcase, Feb 16. About 20 Maryland breweries will bring a mix of their flagship beers and experimental/limited release stuff. Unlimited tastings (they do about a 3-ounce pour that gets bigger as the night goes on). My favorite last year was Heavy Seas' experimental version of their Peg Leg imperial stout.  https://marylandbeer.org/event/love-thy-beer/

Online KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #933: January 24, 2018, 02:28:40 PM »
I love a good hefeweizen or cream ale on a hot summer day.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #934: January 24, 2018, 02:50:44 PM »
One of the best beer events of the year is coming up in Silver Spring. Love Thy Beer  Winter Warmer Showcase, Feb 16. About 20 Maryland breweries will bring a mix of their flagship beers and experimental/limited release stuff. Unlimited tastings (they do about a 3-ounce pour that gets bigger as the night goes on). My favorite last year was Heavy Seas' experimental version of their Peg Leg imperial stout.  https://marylandbeer.org/event/love-thy-beer/

I went to such an event at the courtyard outside the Mad Fox in Falls Church.  The serving staff were obviously having a great time and the pours grew stronger as the evening progressed, though within the limits of the glass.

• babble on
« Reply #935: January 24, 2018, 03:14:49 PM »
Pretty good deal ($89!) on the apres crash zone.  That's solid. 

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #936: January 25, 2018, 08:28:58 AM »
Pilsner Urquell is my go-to beer when it is melt-your-face hot.  Or Singha, though I've yet to find that in a ballpark.

Singha is the regular beer at Stamford Bridge.

Pilsner Urquell is excellent though - easier to get in the past in London on my most recent trip there, but our neighbourhood Giant still refuses to stock it.

• babble on
« Reply #937: January 25, 2018, 10:34:09 AM »
Really??  The genuine article or a local licensed knockoff?

My last footie game in London was at Highbury, and my lasting memory was of a world war taking place in the stands with an incidental game on the pitch. 

Singha is the regular beer at Stamford Bridge.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #938: January 25, 2018, 11:23:25 AM »
Really??  The genuine article or a local licensed knockoff?

My last footie game in London was at Highbury, and my lasting memory was of a world war taking place in the stands with an incidental game on the pitch. 

To all appearances it is the honest Singha brew (I had previously had it in bottles in the States) - Singha is the club's official beer sponsor.

I've been to several matches at The Bridge and, apart from some mild scuffles in the away end, haven't had any trouble. High ticket prices, banning orders and CCTV identification (among other things) have pretty much put paid to the old hoolie culture (although I understand it's still more or less alive in the lower leagues).

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #939: February 09, 2018, 07:13:32 PM »
Stopped by the local Beltway Brewery today and picked up a mini-growler of coconut stout.    Cold/chilled, it was a little more stout than coconutty.     I put some in a Harley Davidson mug and let it get closer to room temperature.    In a Harley mug I expected it to be a little oily.   :)     Turns out to have a little coconut after taste but not coconutty like a banana cream pie.     Now, there's a thought  ....   banana stout.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #940: February 10, 2018, 11:01:59 AM »
There's a small beer and wine shop in Falls Church that has an excellent selection of beers on draft (usually about a dozen or so) for growler refills. The cool thing is they have the ability to can the drafts into 32 oz. cans right on the spot. It's way cool and avoids the hassle of schlepping growlers around. They don't seem to mention the canning process at http://dominionwineandbeer.com.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #941: February 10, 2018, 01:25:20 PM »
Bil - Can customers consume beer on the premises or is it strictly a take-out place ?

The Buffalo Jug Shop is a place here in OBX like what you describe.  They had to make some business changes, but they went from strictly take-out to allowing customers to consume on the premises as well.

There's a small beer and wine shop in Falls Church that has an excellent selection of beers on draft (usually about a dozen or so) for growler refills. The cool thing is they have the ability to can the drafts into 32 oz. cans right on the spot. It's way cool and avoids the hassle of schlepping growlers around. They don't seem to mention the canning process at http://dominionwineandbeer.com.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #942: February 10, 2018, 03:47:22 PM »
Bil - Can customers consume beer on the premises or is it strictly a take-out place ?

The Buffalo Jug Shop is a place here in OBX like what you describe.  They had to make some business changes, but they went from strictly take-out to allowing customers to consume on the premises as well.

Strictly carry out, but they are very generous with tastings. It's a really nice little shop with very knowledgeable staff. My wife goes to the wine side and I go to the beer side and we meet at the register. ;)

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #943: February 12, 2018, 01:28:55 PM »
Stopped by the local Beltway Brewery today and picked up a mini-growler of coconut stout.    Cold/chilled, it was a little more stout than coconutty.     I put some in a Harley Davidson mug and let it get closer to room temperature.    In a Harley mug I expected it to be a little oily.   :)     Turns out to have a little coconut after taste but not coconutty like a banana cream pie.     Now, there's a thought  ....   banana stout.

Crowlers are the new hotness. Everyone seems to be doing them. The good part is after you crack it open you have to finish the whole thing as opposed to being able to put the cap back on it like a normal growler.

If anyone is interested I'm part of a Facebook Group called Craft Brew Junkies. It's a fun group and there is a lot of beer trading going on if you are looking for harder to find or regionally distributed beers.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #944: February 20, 2018, 01:17:50 AM »
For anyone visiting OBX, this is probably the best microbrewery I've ever been to.

https://www.outerbanks.com/lost-colony-brewery.html#.Wot5ZFKKPUA.facebook

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #945: March 11, 2018, 04:44:41 AM »
Yesterday, 2IPAs & I stopped at a fairly new microbrewery on the Chesapeake Thruway called the Big Ugly Brewing Company.  The dozen beers were very interesting, including a blonde stout with tons of flavor.  If anyone is coming to OBX this summer, this looks like a good place to stop for lunch or a break from the traffic.    http://biguglybrewing.com/home/

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #946: March 31, 2018, 04:55:22 AM »

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #947: March 31, 2018, 02:58:44 PM »
For anyone visiting OBX, this is probably the best microbrewery I've ever been to.

https://www.outerbanks.com/lost-colony-brewery.html#.Wot5ZFKKPUA.facebook

Agreed. We went there last summer and beer and service were outstanding.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #948: March 31, 2018, 03:04:24 PM »
25oz beers for $16 being offered at Nats Park this year in the District Drafts stands

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/03/30/dont-freak-out-about-the-nationals-16-craft-draft-beer/?utm_term=.c815ae875ddb

I have my doubts about this. I hope this doesn't lubricate the bros even more.