Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer  (Read 73616 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #200: May 03, 2014, 08:46:05 PM »
You lucky sumnag!

How I feel every time H-nat talks about traveling/beer-drinking.

Then again, I got to go to Cigar City Brewing in Tampa last month, which is pretty freaking awesome.

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #201: May 03, 2014, 09:12:41 PM »
How I feel every time H-nat talks about traveling/beer-drinking.

Then again, I got to go to Cigar City Brewing in Tampa last month, which is pretty freaking awesome.

I agree.  I was lucky enough to visit Cigar City when visiting my parents in February.  Great place though to be honest I enjoyed my time at Rapp brewery better as it is a smaller place and got to talk with both the brewer and owner and they opened two bottles of beer that were unreleased, at least at that time.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #202: May 04, 2014, 01:05:20 PM »
So what is the deal with mikkeler. I just saw it in the liquor store for $40 per six pack

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #203: May 04, 2014, 02:12:19 PM »
:shock: and I thought $20 for a six pack of ballast point was the height of absurdity

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #204: May 04, 2014, 02:31:46 PM »
Being a beer geek is right up there with yachting and private aviation.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #205: May 06, 2014, 09:48:41 AM »
Our Heineken guy last night at the park was also selling Flying Dog IPA in cans.    :cheers:

Found a Goose Creek IPA on draft that wasn't bad.

• babble on
« Reply #206: May 06, 2014, 10:14:04 AM »
When do they stop serving when it's still the 4th inning at 11:30 pm? 

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #207: May 06, 2014, 11:00:45 AM »
Our Heineken guy last night at the park was also selling Flying Dog IPA in cans.    :cheers:

Found a Goose Creek IPA on draft that wasn't bad.

Kinda wish it were Dogfish Head instead.  Flying Dog just isn't quite smooth enough for my taste.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #208: May 06, 2014, 12:15:49 PM »
Ballpark at Arlington now has Dogfish Head 90 minute on tap. Or maybe it was 60 minute. I don't drink IPAs... but they had one, and I was pretty shocked.

Of the summer beers I've been trying so far, Anchor Summer feels like one that will have a steady spot in my fridge.

Offline ¡Vamos Ramos!

« Reply #209: May 06, 2014, 01:36:42 PM »
Kinda wish it were Dogfish Head instead.  Flying Dog just isn't quite smooth enough for my taste.

I actually agree. I really like IPAs but I'm not a big Flying Dog guy.

Offline KingJeremy

« Reply #210: May 10, 2014, 02:09:04 PM »
Sitting at Right Proper right now. Really digging this place. Started with a No Depression "altbier." Good stuff.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #211: May 10, 2014, 08:56:30 PM »
We enjoyed Right Proper alot when we were in DC

Sitting at Right Proper right now. Really digging this place. Started with a No Depression "altbier." Good stuff.

Offline KingJeremy

« Reply #212: May 16, 2014, 02:27:47 PM »
I've never read or seen Game of Thrones, but I DO like chile in beer. Is it really spicy, or just a fun flavor note?

WELP. I've only had two-thirds of them but Ommegang's Game of Thrones series has been pretty disappointing. The Take the Black Stout Coffee was fairly generic, and the Fire & Blood was underwhelming to say the least. It wasn't even close to red and the ancho peppers they pimped up only appeared faintly on the back end.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #213: May 16, 2014, 02:32:55 PM »
I wonder if tie in products just have to be more generic/marketable?

Offline KingJeremy

« Reply #214: May 16, 2014, 04:56:56 PM »
Maybe? But for the series this is tied to, you'd think they'd make some pretty impressive stuff. I'd expect bland from a Castle Nikki Heat Chili IPA.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #215: May 16, 2014, 06:16:08 PM »
Maybe? But for the series this is tied to, you'd think they'd make some pretty impressive stuff. I'd expect bland from a Castle Nikki Heat Chili IPA.

Or do you think breweries would save their good stuff for everyday production, not some one time release

• babble on
« Reply #216: May 19, 2014, 09:23:24 AM »
Anyone tried Great Lakes 'Rye of the Tiger'?

Offline KingJeremy

« Reply #217: May 19, 2014, 01:14:16 PM »
Or do you think breweries would save their good stuff for everyday production, not some one time release

That would be the cynical, but probably fair, view of it. I'd like to think a quality brewery would aim to maintain a standard across all products. Might be wishful thinking, though.

And, obviously, "quality" is all in the eye of the beer holder.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #218: May 19, 2014, 01:30:25 PM »
That would be the cynical, but probably fair, view of it. I'd like to think a quality brewery would aim to maintain a standard across all products. Might be wishful thinking, though.

I don't think it's so much a question of quality as of broad appeal- 'quality' often means a lot of hops and high alcohol content (if you look at the top beers on beer advocate, most are above 8% abv, a lot above 10- a standard good beer with very broad appeal like Sam lager is 4.9) and if your target audience is fans of a show not necessarily the drinkers, then you probably tone things down a little. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #219: May 19, 2014, 01:34:41 PM »
I don't think it's so much a question of quality as of broad appeal- 'quality' often means a lot of hops and high alcohol content (if you look at the top beers on beer advocate, most are above 8% abv, a lot above 10- a standard good beer with very broad appeal like Sam lager is 4.9) and if your target audience is fans of a show not necessarily the drinkers, then you probably tone things down a little.

One need look no further than to the success of "beers" like Bud Light and Miller Lite to understand the power of the lowest common denominator.

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #220: May 19, 2014, 04:16:18 PM »
Anyone tried Great Lakes 'Rye of the Tiger'?

No, but their Chillwave was really good.  Did you try the RotT?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #221: May 19, 2014, 07:05:05 PM »
Has anyone tried the Sam Adams Rebel IPA ?

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #222: May 19, 2014, 07:56:02 PM »

My cynical view is that they know they'll sell just by slapping the Game of Thrones name on it, so they felt no need to strive for the highest quality.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #223: May 19, 2014, 10:32:18 PM »
Has anyone tried the Sam Adams Rebel IPA ?
I thought that it was solid. If you want something really good like the Lagunbitas Lil Sumpin, you'll be disappointed. But it's Sam, it was solid, and pretty flavorful.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #224: May 20, 2014, 08:27:59 AM »
Grabbed a Terrapin Rye in the Porch last night, wasn't bad for a summer beer.  Liked it way better than wheat or shandy styles.