Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer  (Read 74335 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #850: May 04, 2017, 08:01:35 PM »
Bay State, Old Bay, natural segue
bay city rollers ...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #851: May 04, 2017, 09:31:10 PM »
actually, I kind of like it, but I'm becoming an old bay freak.

Fantastic with malt vinegar on fries.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #852: May 04, 2017, 10:16:56 PM »
Fantastic with malt vinegar on fries.

Brown gravy and cheese curds on fries or gtfo

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #853: May 05, 2017, 12:31:14 AM »
It's outfits like that that are an existential threat to the likes of InBev (and they can't buy them up fast enough to stop the steady erosion of market share).  Resist

Indeed. Love Wicked Weed, but there's no reason to buy 'em now

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #854: May 09, 2017, 01:26:40 PM »
Bud/Inbev has the right to buy any brand they like. Small brewers have the right to sell to any corporation they like. An informed public can make the choice to drink what they want. It is a free market.

The problem here is how to inform the public. Is it false advertising not explaining who owns a newly acquired brewery? Should Ab/Inbev be required to put their label on cans and bottles of all the breweries they own? Judging by the reaction to Wicked Weed selling {selling out} that would lead to a drastic loss in sales

Here are some headlines from the web.
“Beer Industry Whacks at Wicked Weed Deal”,
“Wicked Weed beer sale marks flashpoint in brewery turf wars”,
“Majority of 70 brewers withdraw from Wicked Weed event for charity in protest of big beer”

And here is some post from social media.
“Your cowardly embrace of the enemy of craft brewing has made my birthday dinner the other night the last time I will be patronizing your business,”
 “Sold your soul for cash, thankfully there is enough competition to avoid you completely. Thanks for the beers, good riddance,”

The folks at InBev are not dumb. They knew this would happen. They bought Goose Island Brewery and immediately shut it down. Then Inbev moved brewing to one of their large facilities. Goose Island IPA was at that time a premium beer. Now it is sold at discount prices
 So why do it? To gain access to state legislature, that’s why. No one in state government is going to listen to a company with no dog in the fight. Buy a small brewery in the state, with revenues that will be negligible to your bottom line, and poof the doors to the state capitol open.

When the idea of raising the limit of barrels of beer a small brewery can self distribute comes up your lobbyist can now help local leaders decide no.

How about lowering the tax rate on brewers producing less than 20,000 barrels? Big beer lobbyist don’t like this either.

Big Beer has done this before. Remember wine coolers
 But instead of three or four national brands fighting small brewers it is 2 multi-national behemoths pulling out all the big dollar stops.

So please remember the dark ages (1960s, 80s and 90s). Remember all the “cheese cake”, cartoons and talking dogs they used to sell a bland product. Remember when all beer tasted the same.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #855: May 09, 2017, 01:29:25 PM »
Bud/Inbev has the right to buy any brand they like. Small brewers have the right to sell to any corporation they like. An informed public can make the choice to drink what they want. It is a free market.

I remember when Dominion went the way of the Evil Empire (Bud/Inbev).    Haven't had any Oak Barrel Stout since.    Still have my growler.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #856: May 09, 2017, 01:33:25 PM »
Does anyone remember Blue Ridge out of Frederick, MD?  In the 1990s, hey used to have their porter on tap at OPACY and I've been addicted to porters every since.  Possibly my all-time favorite.  Another Maryland beer I used to love was Wild Goose.  Wild Goose IPA.  Whatever happened to them?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #857: May 09, 2017, 01:50:36 PM »
They had seasonal called "Snow Goose" IIRC. 
Another Maryland beer I used to love was Wild Goose.  Wild Goose IPA.  Whatever happened to them?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #858: May 09, 2017, 02:25:55 PM »
Does anyone remember Blue Ridge out of Frederick, MD?  In the 1990s, hey used to have their porter on tap at OPACY and I've been addicted to porters every since.  Possibly my all-time favorite.  Another Maryland beer I used to love was Wild Goose.  Wild Goose IPA.  Whatever happened to them?

Wild Goose (originally produced in Cambridge Md), acquired by Frederick Brewing Co (production moved to Frederick), acquired by Flying Dog, acquired by Logan Shaw but continuing production in Frederick.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #859: May 09, 2017, 02:58:07 PM »
Is Frederick Brewing the same outfit that produced Blue Ridge?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #860: May 09, 2017, 03:18:10 PM »
Is Frederick Brewing the same outfit that produced Blue Ridge?

I believe so.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #861: May 09, 2017, 04:33:22 PM »
I believe so.
just read the wiki history of Frederick Brewing and Flying Dog.  Wild Goose more or less got squeezed out of the brewery when Flying Dog took off.  As for Blue Ridge, I guess I was about the only person to like that stuff.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #862: May 09, 2017, 04:43:17 PM »
I've toured that brewery. It's okay. Super hipster-y.  The only Flying Dog beer I really liked (Atlantic Lager), they stopped making. :|

just read the wiki history of Frederick Brewing and Flying Dog.  Wild Goose more or less got squeezed out of the brewery when Flying Dog took off.  As for Blue Ridge, I guess I was about the only person to like that stuff.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #863: May 09, 2017, 04:46:55 PM »
I like Snake Dog if I'm looking for a lot of hops, but prefer Fair Winds Howling Gale (both on tap at CCSP). 

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #864: May 09, 2017, 05:00:57 PM »
I'll have to try some others, but everything they make seems over-hopped.

I like Snake Dog if I'm looking for a lot of hops, but prefer Fair Winds Howling Gale (both on tap at CCSP).

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #865: May 27, 2017, 04:47:57 AM »
Here is a list of imposter craft beers that have been taken over by InBev

http://wearebrewstuds.com/craft-beer-cut-off/

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #866: May 27, 2017, 11:51:37 AM »
Greetings from Sofia, Bulgaria where I have been the past few days and will be for a couple more...I cannot believe the incredible variety of brands of incredibly tasty traditional European lager one can find over here (the way it was in the States before the global brewing industry began to rationalise)...and at an incredibly low price. One rarely has to pay more than 2 leva (=USD1.15) for a full half-litre of Kamenitza, Pirinsko, Shumensko, Ariana and other fine brands blending rich malt flavour with crisp hoppiness. Even i the bar at my hotel they only want 5 leva (USD 2.85) for a half litre of Zagorka (owned by Heineken but a bit lighter-bodied than its parent).

The East/Central European lager tradition at its very best...and for so little. Doesn't get much better than this, mates.

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #867: May 27, 2017, 12:38:03 PM »
Bring some back!

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #868: May 27, 2017, 12:56:08 PM »
Or get some names of breweries/brands that could be imported into the US - particularly into an international area such as DC.

Bring some back!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #869: May 27, 2017, 06:28:31 PM »
Had a couple of Stone PA's today. 

Son and I are staying with the in-law's (his g-parents) in Mount Pleasant SC.  We got up early and launched the kayak and canoe in Huger Creek just as the tide was starting to come in, around 8:30.  I was wishing I had got up 2 hours earlier.  We paddled down to the confluence of the East Cooper and drifted back with the tide, getting a lot of blowups but only  netting 3 pickerel and a 2 lb bass.  Did see my first gator in  the wild - an explosion from the shoreline marsh 12 feet away and the telltale mud and bubbles across the creek, then he/she had the politeness to surface briefly enabling the confirmation.   :woop:

After taking out we headed back and decided to bike over to Sullivan's Island for a beer at Poe's.  Just as we reached the foot of the Sawyer bridge my son's seat bolt sheared off.    :?  So we turned around and peddled back to Mt. Pleasant to a bike shop where they fixed it pronto and we were back on it.  By the time we got to Poe's at 4 it was packed as expected but we can always sit 2 if you ask the folks with empties at the outside picnic tables.  Having doubled the ride we doubled the original beer target, then peddled back watching the holiday traffic backed up for miles.

Beer was pretty good, not sure why it isn't an IPA, high in the bitter department.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #870: May 27, 2017, 06:30:37 PM »
It's great drinking with you kid, isn't it?

Son and I are staying with the in-law's (his g-parents) in Mount Pleasant SC.  We got up early and launched the kayak and canoe in Huger Creek just as the tide was starting to come in, around 8:30.  I was wishing I had got up 2 hours earlier.  We paddled down to the confluence of the East Cooper and drifted back with the tide, getting a lot of blowups but only  netting 3 pickerel and a 2 lb bass.  Did see my first gator in  the wild - an explosion from the shoreline marsh 12 feet away and the telltale mud and bubbles across the creek, then he/she had the politeness to surface briefly enabling the confirmation.   :woop:

After taking out we headed back and decided to bike over to Sullivan's Island for a beer at Poe's.  Just as we reached the foot of the Sawyer bridge my son's seat bolt sheared off.    :?  So we turned around and peddled back to Mt. Pleasant to a bike shop where they fixed it pronto and we were back on it.  By the time we got to Poe's at 4 it was packed as expected but we can always sit 2 if you ask the folks with empties at the outside picnic tables.  Having doubled the ride we doubled the original beer target, then peddled back watching the holiday traffic backed up for miles.

Beer was pretty good, not sure why it isn't an IPA, high in the bitter department.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #871: May 27, 2017, 06:33:49 PM »
It's great drinking with you kid, isn't it?

He's 22 and gets carded relentlessly.  It pisses ME off, not him.  Drinking  age was 18 when  I came of age and I seldom was carded at 18.    :old:

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #872: May 27, 2017, 06:38:50 PM »
Every Stone beer I've had has been bitter - the inverse of Dogfish

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #873: June 02, 2017, 08:44:01 AM »
Tribute Cornish Pale Ale - delightfully smooth yet not without character - now a regular offering on British Airways longhaul flights (it's been available on the last three return trips I've taken with them), at least in its World Traveller Plus premium economy cabins...if you're going over there (with Heathrow airport already a prime shopping spot for single-malt Scotch whisky) don't miss it!

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #874: June 02, 2017, 11:09:28 AM »
I was there in '95 when it was still basically Soviet.  There weren't a lot of privately run businesses yet.  Good beer though!
Greetings from Sofia, Bulgaria where I have been the past few days and will be for a couple more...I cannot believe the incredible variety of brands of incredibly tasty traditional European lager one can find over here (the way it was in the States before the global brewing industry began to rationalise)...and at an incredibly low price. One rarely has to pay more than 2 leva (=USD1.15) for a full half-litre of Kamenitza, Pirinsko, Shumensko, Ariana and other fine brands blending rich malt flavour with crisp hoppiness. Even i the bar at my hotel they only want 5 leva (USD 2.85) for a half litre of Zagorka (owned by Heineken but a bit lighter-bodied than its parent).

The East/Central European lager tradition at its very best...and for so little. Doesn't get much better than this, mates.