Author Topic: Potomac Nationals New Stadium - Fredericksburg!  (Read 44568 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Potomac Nationals New Stadium Watch
« Reply #150: July 12, 2017, 09:39:11 PM »
The PWC Board of Supervisors will vote on the Stadium deal on July 18.  Marty Nohe, a Democrat, appears to be siding with the GOP members of the board against the deal.  While Republican Chairman Corey Stewart supports the deal, aligning himself with most of the Democrats.

http://www.insidenova.com/news/prince_william/state-approves-million-for-parking-garage-board-s-stadium-vote/article_6ecd0d30-634e-11e7-adbd-bb6322d53b7c.html

Note cites a recent report by AG Herring questioning the constitutionally of using public funds to build the stadium.

I heard on NPR a move may be afoot in congress to disallow the income exemption for municipal bonds issued to support sports venues.  This is a major income loss to the Federal Gov't.  This would probably be good for all concerned, stop the arms race and let cities compete without tax subsidies.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #151: July 12, 2017, 09:40:41 PM »
The latest is Silber wants to delay the vote as he apparently is not happy with some changes the supervisors want.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #152: July 13, 2017, 12:15:40 AM »
The latest is Silber wants to delay the vote as he apparently is not happy with some changes the supervisors want.

Like making him liable for the cost of the stadium?  A few days ago he was threatening the BOS that he'd sell the team to a non-local buyer if they didn't approve it this month.  As much as I love going to P-nats games, this stadium is a horrible deal for the county.  Let them simply renovate the Pfitz.

Update: here's the story:

http://www.insidenova.com/headlines/potomac-nationals-owner-wants-stadium-vote-delay/article_b2e6d84e-6721-11e7-893b-1bc7c92ba282.html

Silber declined to discuss the sticking points of the negotiation, only saying that the terms of the proposed deal now include terms team officials believe would be “suicidal business-wise and would create tremendous risk” for the ball club. Under the deal’s original conditions, the county would use its Industrial Development Authority to issue bonds to raise money for the stadium’s construction, then the team would pay the county back for that debt over the course of a 30-year lease.

“The terms of that agreement have got to be fair, and if they’re not, we’re not going to move ahead with the deal and will take advantage of all the options available to us,” Silber said.

Those options include “looking at other areas in Northern Virginia like Loudoun or Fairfax,” Silber said, or starting up negotiations with other potential buyers in North Carolina.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #153: July 13, 2017, 07:59:05 AM »
Like making him liable for the cost of the stadium?  A few days ago he was threatening the BOS that he'd sell the team to a non-local buyer if they didn't approve it this month.  As much as I love going to P-nats games, this stadium is a horrible deal for the county.  Let them simply renovate the Pfitz.

Update: here's the story:

http://www.insidenova.com/headlines/potomac-nationals-owner-wants-stadium-vote-delay/article_b2e6d84e-6721-11e7-893b-1bc7c92ba282.html
This is a minor league businessman dealing with a minor league board of supervisors.  Who knows what might happen.  The old plan was to just build it next to the Pfitz. Not sure why that was dropped.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #154: July 13, 2017, 08:01:46 AM »
Good luck getting another local county to pony up- it took years of campaign donations for Silber to even get this far in Prince willam.

Offline imref

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #157: July 14, 2017, 05:29:21 PM »
When I think of Alexandria, open parcels of land that would need public intervention to spur development is totally what comes to mind

Offline Natsinpwc

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #159: July 14, 2017, 09:38:57 PM »
When I think of Alexandria, open parcels of land that would need public intervention to spur development is totally what comes to mind
The article refers to Hensley Park. If you lol at google satellite view, I don't see how you could fit a minor league stadium there. As it is, the softball field looks like it has a short left field fence.

Offline imref

« Reply #160: July 15, 2017, 01:02:49 AM »
What about that park across from the runway at national?  That would be fun. 

Just renovate the The Pfitz

Offline imref

« Reply #161: July 15, 2017, 01:14:25 AM »
Some additional detail from the sheriff of Nottingham blog of what the deal would have cost PWC

http://sheriffofnottinghampwc.blogspot.com/2017/07/crooked-stewart-principi-nohe-just.html

Taxpayers would fork over an initial payment of nearly $25 million in cash to make site improvements, road construction, and engineering costs;
Taxpayers would now buy the land for the stadium and the parking garage for more than $10 million -- a part of a parcel of land land that was bought two years ago for about $500,000 by JBG, the developer;
The Potomac Nationals, because the County would own the land, would have their annual lease payment reduced by about $300,000 a year, to $2.4 million;
Taxpayers would then have to pay nearly a quarter of a million dollars in annual maintenance costs for the stadium;
Taxpayers would build a nearly $50 million parking garage in a bad location with a price tag nearly twice as much as it would cost if it were located at an alternate site that made commuter access to I-95 easier;
Taxpayers would absorb the annual maintenance payment as an offset for property taxes that otherwise would be paid for commercial buildings to be built by the developer next to the stadium; 
Issue taxpayer guaranteed bonds that clearly violate the Credit Clause of the Virginia Constitution.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #162: July 15, 2017, 09:44:38 AM »
Some additional detail from the sheriff of Nottingham blog of what the deal would have cost PWC

http://sheriffofnottinghampwc.blogspot.com/2017/07/crooked-stewart-principi-nohe-just.html

IMHO  Every sentence that began with "Taxpayers" was a nail in the coffin of the deal.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #163: July 15, 2017, 10:00:29 AM »
That's what every stadium deal is, politicians are just more willing to bend over for major league teams than minor league

Offline mitlen

« Reply #164: July 15, 2017, 10:31:00 AM »
That's what every stadium deal is, politicians are just more willing to bend over for major league teams than minor league

Agree, they bend over for anything with your/our money.    Had my local Supervisor propose finding funding for paved "back door" access to a local Park area (currently unimproved road).    I walk that area a lot.    I have never seen another person on the unimproved road, other than park employees.    I suggested rather than lookin' for funding, they should get a lawn chair, sit near the road and see if there is even a need for the paved access.    I'm sure I'm bein' called names in the office   ....   and get off my grass.    :)    Now, this is a good guy who I voted for and donated to his campaign.    I think he's trying to do the right thing.    They just can't help themselves.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #165: July 15, 2017, 11:31:52 AM »
My county supervisor talks about development despite the fact that he's yet to find a neighborhood association in favor and I doubt he could find a constituent outside of his own family in favor. He won by a landslide, but if an opponent comes along on a platform of opposing all rezoning, I think they'd walk into office easily. I think politicians want to leave their mark whether or not anyone wants them to

Offline mitlen

« Reply #166: July 15, 2017, 11:58:53 AM »
My county supervisor talks about development despite the fact that he's yet to find a neighborhood association in favor and I doubt he could find a constituent outside of his own family in favor. He won by a landslide, but if an opponent comes along on a platform of opposing all rezoning, I think they'd walk into office easily. I think politicians want to leave their mark whether or not anyone wants them to

:lol:     I told the missus our guy is simply lookin' for another sentence on the next election's mailer.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #167: July 15, 2017, 02:36:28 PM »

Aren't some financed with revenue bonds, i.e. a dedicated revenue source other than taxpayer general funds?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #168: July 15, 2017, 05:24:40 PM »
Aren't some financed with revenue bonds, i.e. a dedicated revenue source other than taxpayer general funds?

Sure, but how many of those stadiums require infrastructure improvements, have tax abatement, require public money for upgrades or maintenance...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #169: July 16, 2017, 09:17:22 PM »
Sure, but how many of those stadiums require infrastructure improvements, have tax abatement, require public money for upgrades or maintenance...

They all do, but they also generate some rental income.  To the extent those categories exceed rental or other incomes to the jurisdiction, then I agree with you.

Afterthought - DC collects a 10% concessions tax at Nats Park built into every purchase, in addition to the tiny rent.  Those all mitigate costs to a variable extent.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #170: July 17, 2017, 07:01:02 AM »
They all do, but they also generate some rental income. 

:lmao: https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/apr/20/lease-no-rent-for-raiders-at-las-vegas-stadium/

not the current generation. Most of these contracts are either negotiated by idiots or people who just don't care what happens down the road. St Louis is paying off $144 million on an empty stadium. In some ways, they get off easy, the Bengals have a state of the art clause, so every time a scoreboard with new technology goes in to other stadiums, or wifi, or really anything since the clause has no real limits, the bengals get the same courtesy of tax payers   http://www.fieldofschemes.com/2015/12/14/10258/bengals-call-for-review-of-other-nfl-stadiums-to-see-what-goodies-they-can-make-taxpayers-buy-for-them/

Offline imref

« Reply #171: July 31, 2017, 07:17:49 PM »
with the Prince William deal reportedly dead, Silber is exploring other options: Alexandria, Loudoun, Spotsylvania, and Fredricksburg are all options, but I doubt any of those areas would give Silber the public funds he wants.

http://wtop.com/local/2017/07/possible-new-homes-potomac-nationals/

Offline mitlen

« Reply #172: July 31, 2017, 07:18:49 PM »
with the Prince William deal reportedly dead, Silber is exploring other options: Alexandria, Loudoun, Spotsylvania, and Fredricksburg are all options, but I doubt any of those areas would give Silber the public funds he wants.

http://wtop.com/local/2017/07/possible-new-homes-potomac-nationals/

The County of Loudoun votes "no".    The politicians out here love to spread the cash  ...  er I mean incentives.

Offline imref

« Reply #173: July 31, 2017, 07:20:03 PM »
The County of Loudoun votes "no".

Loudoun would be the ideal location IMHO, but they made it clear that any stadium would have to be built with private funds.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #174: July 31, 2017, 07:23:25 PM »
Loudoun would be the ideal location IMHO, but they made it clear that any stadium would have to be built with private funds.

On the other deal (that fell through), they re-zoned the land to allow another 15,000 townhouses.    They'd cave in a heart beat.    They just voted themselves a 62% pay raise.