Author Topic: Potomac Nationals New Stadium - Fredericksburg!  (Read 44534 times)

Offline NJ Ave

Re: Potomac Nationals New Stadium Watch
« Reply #50: March 20, 2016, 11:22:25 AM »
Charlottesville or bust baby!

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #51: March 20, 2016, 01:01:31 PM »
I thought FH FURR funded or got Naming rights

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #52: March 20, 2016, 02:20:43 PM »
I thought FH FURR funded or got Naming rights
That was announced but apparently that was only partial. They need more $.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #53: March 20, 2016, 02:35:53 PM »
$30 million (which seems really optimistic) just seems like way too much for an a single use a ball stadium- I don't see how they ever work out the funding

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #54: March 21, 2016, 11:34:28 PM »
Yeah. Sadly at some point the Nats will probably just get a different affiliate. 
It would not surprise me if the Carolina League makes them move. I'm pretty sure they gave Potomac a waiver since the stadium wasn't meeting league minimum specs. Without the new stadium, I could easily see them not reissuing the waiver.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #55: September 15, 2016, 01:56:00 PM »
I'm stunned.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20160913&content_id=201131232&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_t436

Washington Nationals Extend Player Development Contract with Potomac Nationals Through 2018 Season
:shock:
I'm surprised that the Carolina League is approving this. I fully expected the CL to not renew the waiver to continue allowing them to play somewhere that doesn't meet their minimum standards.

I have to figure that the CL's hand was forced when they absorbed 2 teams from the California League. They are putting 1 team back in Kinston (where I thought the P-Nats could end up) and the CL has an agreement to go to Fayetteville in 2019. JP Riddle still hosts a College Summer League team and I expect they will be the home of the 2nd California League team.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #56: September 15, 2016, 04:24:36 PM »
I'm stunned.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20160913&content_id=201131232&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_t436
 :shock:
I'm surprised that the Carolina League is approving this. I fully expected the CL to not renew the waiver to continue allowing them to play somewhere that doesn't meet their minimum standards.

I have to figure that the CL's hand was forced when they absorbed 2 teams from the California League. They are putting 1 team back in Kinston (where I thought the P-Nats could end up) and the CL has an agreement to go to Fayetteville in 2019. JP Riddle still hosts a College Summer League team and I expect they will be the home of the 2nd California League team.
Art Silber has compromising pics of the Lerners. Probably them out on the town with Angelos.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #57: September 15, 2016, 04:38:17 PM »
Art Silber has compromising pics of the Lerners. Probably them out on the town with Angelos.

I think the Nats like having Potomac close by so players can rehab there but still train at Nats park.

Online imref

« Reply #58: September 15, 2016, 04:41:05 PM »
This seems to be the latest update on the park - which is no update at all:

http://potomaclocal.com/2016/07/14/more-band-aid-funding-approved-for-aging-potomac-nationals-home/

The County did approve $115k in spending to fix maintenance issues at the Pfitz

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #59: September 15, 2016, 04:44:08 PM »
I think the Nats like having Potomac close by so players can rehab there but still train at Nats park.

Waldorf would've been great for that.

Online imref

« Reply #60: October 21, 2016, 02:06:13 PM »
This is a right-leaning blog, reporting unsubstantiated hearsay, so take it with a grain of salt, but it would explain why the stadium project has stalled:

https://sheriffofnottinghampwc.blogspot.com/2016/10/potomac-nationals-looking-to-make.html

if you don't want to read it, it says the County's consultant's report says the stadium isn't financially viable, no bank will lend Silber the money to build the stadium and Silber is asking PW County to guarantee the loan.

update:  found this:

http://www.fauquier.com/prince_william_times/potomac-nationals-ask-for-tax-break-on-new-stadium/article_546023fa-959b-11e6-bbf0-a727152443e9.html

It only says that Silber is asking for a real estate tax waiver but notes that the County met to discuss the consultant report in closed session not subject to FOIA.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #61: October 21, 2016, 05:28:58 PM »
This is a right-leaning blog, reporting unsubstantiated hearsay, so take it with a grain of salt, but it would explain why the stadium project has stalled:

https://sheriffofnottinghampwc.blogspot.com/2016/10/potomac-nationals-looking-to-make.html

if you don't want to read it, it says the County's consultant's report says the stadium isn't financially viable, no bank will lend Silber the money to build the stadium and Silber is asking PW County to guarantee the loan.

update:  found this:

http://www.fauquier.com/prince_william_times/potomac-nationals-ask-for-tax-break-on-new-stadium/article_546023fa-959b-11e6-bbf0-a727152443e9.html

It only says that Silber is asking for a real estate tax waiver but notes that the County met to discuss the consultant report in closed session not subject to FOIA.
Thanks for this. I was always skeptical Silber could raise the funds. I think the only way they stay is if the Nationals kick in money to keep a team nearby.

Online imref

« Reply #62: October 21, 2016, 05:41:25 PM »
Thanks for this. I was always skeptical Silber could raise the funds. I think the only way they stay is if the Nationals kick in money to keep a team nearby.

i wonder if there's a more cost-effective spot for a ballpark, like Loudoun/Ashburn area perhaps (where the Hounds were going to build).  I'm guessing it's exorbitantly expensive to build in the location they are looking at. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #63: October 21, 2016, 05:50:21 PM »
i wonder if there's a more cost-effective spot for a ballpark, like Loudoun/Ashburn area perhaps (where the Hounds were going to build).  I'm guessing it's exorbitantly expensive to build in the location they are looking at. 

The Hounds' stadium was a scam/shakedown by the developer.    I don't see it happening a second time unless a hefty contribution is made to the BOS.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #64: October 21, 2016, 05:54:25 PM »
Is there any political appetite to.throw money at a single a stadium?

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #65: October 24, 2016, 09:24:34 PM »
Is there any political appetite to.throw money at a single a stadium?
They do seem to manage to do it nearly everywhere else.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #67: January 09, 2017, 01:59:37 PM »
New article from 30-DEC-2016

http://www.insidenova.com/headlines/new-potomac-nationals-stadium-construction-may-face-hurdles/article_51cc7ef4-cdfe-11e6-b02b-27299e5e504f.html

But the team might not be able to wait much longer as the county weighs these options. Principi and Lawson both say that Silber told them Minor League Baseball is requiring his team to be out of Pftizner by the end of the 2018 season, though Silber declined to comment on the issue. Jeff Lantz, a MiLB spokesman, also declined to comment on any deadline the league gave the Potomac Nationals.

That sounds like the Carolina League is fed up with the delays well and will not renew the waiver past the 2018 season. Several years ago the Carolina League granted the P-Nats a waiver to continue playing in a venue that fails to meet league standards.

Online imref

« Reply #68: January 09, 2017, 02:37:10 PM »
there is no way PWC should allow this stadium to be built if it's on the hook for $35 million in bonds.   And I really want to see the P-Nats stay in the area.  Just not by putting the risk on the county government that has been fighting for weeks over how it's going to come up with $9.5 million to fund a desperately needed new high school design that would increase student capacity by around 800 over the old design.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #69: January 09, 2017, 02:41:23 PM »
there is no way PWC should allow this stadium to be built if it's on the hook for $35 million in bonds.   And I really want to see the P-Nats stay in the area.  Just not by putting the risk on the county government that has been fighting for weeks over how it's going to come up with $9.5 million to fund a desperately needed new high school design that would increase student capacity by around 800 over the old design.

Yeah but there's no shiney objects in a new high school plan.    In Loudoun, the pols go for shiney objects over common sense.   I imagine our brothers and sisters in PWC aren't much different.      See:   Edelman Financial Field

Some developer will sell 'em a bill of goods for a stadium complex and the deal will fall through.    At that point, your BOS will build a 2,000 town house development.     That way, you can plan for 2 high schools.

Online imref

« Reply #70: January 09, 2017, 03:16:04 PM »
Yeah but there's no shiney objects in a new high school plan.    In Loudoun, the pols go for shiney objects over common sense.   I imagine our brothers and sisters in PWC aren't much different.      See:   Edelman Financial Field

Some developer will sell 'em a bill of goods for a stadium complex and the deal will fall through.    At that point, your BOS will build a 2,000 town house development.     That way, you can plan for 2 high schools.

and road expansion!

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #71: January 09, 2017, 03:29:22 PM »
and road expansion!
Of course in this case they already built the townhouse development where the new stadium is proposed to be. There used to be a driving range and training facility where the townhouses are. Was the saddest day of my life when I drove past one day in the winter and the golf facility was gone. 😞

Offline mitlen

« Reply #72: January 09, 2017, 03:32:43 PM »
and road expansion!

They'll be toll roads that the state sold the rights for 100 years to Bangladesh.

Online imref

« Reply #73: January 09, 2017, 03:38:51 PM »
Of course in this case they already built the townhouse development where the new stadium is proposed to be. There used to be a driving range and training facility where the townhouses are. Was the saddest day of my life when I drove past one day in the winter and the golf facility was gone. 😞

you need to drown your sorrows at Top Golf. :)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #74: January 09, 2017, 03:40:20 PM »

Those of you familiar with Woody's range, etc. on route seven.    She's now gone.    MacMansions are risin' as I type.