Author Topic: Potomac Nationals New Stadium - Fredericksburg!  (Read 44544 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Potomac Nationals New Stadium - Fredericksburg!
« Topic Start: December 02, 2013, 10:56:29 PM »
P-Nats new stadium delayed until 2016 as they haven't inked a naming rights deal yet.

http://www.insidenova.com/news/local/woodbridge/new-p-nats-stadium-pushed-back-to/article_e1abda76-5b09-11e3-9cbd-0019bb2963f4.html?mode=story

According to the story, MLB has granted the P-Nats the ability to play at the Pfitz through the end of the 2015 season "only" if the new stadium is on track, otherwise the P-Nats will be looking for a new home.

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Potomac Nationals New Stadium Watch
« Reply #1: December 04, 2013, 12:46:58 PM »
Thanks for the update.  Had noticed construction had not begun and was wondering what was going on. Wonder if there is more behind the delays than the naming rights? 

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #2: December 07, 2013, 08:26:04 PM »
P-Nats new stadium delayed until 2016 as they haven't inked a naming rights deal yet.

http://www.insidenova.com/news/local/woodbridge/new-p-nats-stadium-pushed-back-to/article_e1abda76-5b09-11e3-9cbd-0019bb2963f4.html?mode=story

According to the story, MLB has granted the P-Nats the ability to play at the Pfitz through the end of the 2015 season "only" if the new stadium is on track, otherwise the P-Nats will be looking for a new home.
2016!?

I thought that when they announced this,it was a done deal.

Shame to hear about the delays, makes it seem less likely to happen. 2016? That's three seasons from now. Boo!

Online imref

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #4: June 23, 2015, 10:15:18 AM »
as a fan, I like the pfitz- lots of areas to picnic/lets the kids run around before hand, easy parking, and easy to get to. Stone bridge is still easy to get to, but looking at the plot, I question how easy parking will be and there is really nowhere to play around before hand, just toby keiths for overpriced microwaved southern fare

Online imref

« Reply #5: June 23, 2015, 10:19:04 AM »
as a fan, I like the pfitz- lots of areas to picnic/lets the kids run around before hand, easy parking, and easy to get to. Stone bridge is still easy to get to, but looking at the plot, I question how easy parking will be and there is really nowhere to play around before hand, just toby keiths for overpriced microwaved southern fare

Fitz pros:
- easy access to the players before the game, and even after if you wait by the fence/locker room exit
- Nats rehab there, so lots of good opportunities for autographs
- easy to get in/out
- rarely crowded so plenty of available seating
- cheap, plus lots of discount/free promos for kids

Fiz cons:
- no shade whatsoever
- horrible horrible food choices with long waits at the main concession stand.

After visiting Harrisburg I'd be willing to trade the folksy feel of the Fitz for a more modern stadium.

Online imref

« Reply #6: June 23, 2015, 10:21:13 AM »
Thanks for the update.  Had noticed construction had not begun and was wondering what was going on. Wonder if there is more behind the delays than the naming rights? 

I suspect they are having trouble raising money to fund it.  And I also suspect that PWC isn't going to approve the millions dollars to fund necessary repairs, meaning either the Nats will have to step in, or they'll end up moving the team somewhere else.  I'm guessing the Nats would prefer to keep a team close by so that players can rehab there with minimal need to travel.   I'm guessing Richmond would welcome the P-Nats with open arms.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #7: June 23, 2015, 10:27:26 AM »
wait - they said it was near a Wegmans.  What more could you want?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #8: June 23, 2015, 11:34:28 AM »
Toby Keith's shut down last month. Were open on Friday and shut doors Saturday.  Didn't tell their workers anything.  Class act for sure.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #9: June 23, 2015, 11:35:44 AM »
I like that it's close but the new location would win even closer. Not sure the deal will ever happen.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #10: June 23, 2015, 11:38:57 AM »
I don't see them ever raising the money for an A ball franchise ($300 million seems rich for games that command $12 for a ticket, and they really don't have room to push any higher or people will just go in to see the nats for the same price)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #11: June 23, 2015, 11:39:47 AM »
I suspect they are having trouble raising money to fund it.  And I also suspect that PWC isn't going to approve the millions dollars to fund necessary repairs, meaning either the Nats will have to step in, or they'll end up moving the team somewhere else.  I'm guessing the Nats would prefer to keep a team close by so that players can rehab there with minimal need to travel.   I'm guessing Richmond would welcome the P-Nats with open arms.
I think you are right. Silber cannot keep up his end of the deal. He's no kid either so don't think the supervisors will go for it.  How about Fredericksburg? 

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #12: June 23, 2015, 12:57:38 PM »
Fiz cons:
- no shade whatsoever
- horrible horrible food choices with long waits at the main concession stand.
- it's a dump

You forgot one...

Online imref

« Reply #13: June 23, 2015, 03:32:58 PM »
You forgot one...

dumps can be charming.

I should have added 'ducking errant softballs on the way to the front gate'

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #14: June 23, 2015, 10:25:08 PM »
As a AA city, Richmond and the Eastern League would reject a Single A franchise.

Prince William is going to lose the affiliate, it is easiest one of the worst pro stadiums I have been in. The Carolina League is going to shut them off. Silver says 2019 like it is a real thing. It's not, he's just buying time.

Rumor mill has Binhghamton losing the B-Mets to Wilmington, DE.
Savannah is relocating to Columbia, SC.
Kinston is a former Carolina League city with no team.

That's 3 openings there.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15: June 24, 2015, 08:33:24 AM »
I wonder if the collapse of the Loudoun Hounds opens up a possibility near Dulles for Potomac?  Also, I  wonder if F-burg or maybe something in Stafford would look into Potomac.

Isn't Wilmington a KC affiliate?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #16: June 24, 2015, 08:41:54 AM »

Rumor mill has Binhghamton losing the B-Mets to Wilmington, DE.
Savannah is relocating to Columbia, SC.
Kinston is a former Carolina League city with no team.

That's 3 openings there.

so take the closest affiliate and move it to Upstate NY, Georgia (having been to sand nats games, not only is that place a dump, but there is a wee bit of a bug problem if there is no breeze at night) or NC? If Loudon got close for an indy league team (who know how close it actually was), a minor league team associated with the Nats may stand a chance, something around Fredericksburg/Stafford could work, but I wonder how many people from closer in would want to drive down RT1/95 in the summer

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #17: June 24, 2015, 12:14:17 PM »
I wonder if the collapse of the Loudoun Hounds opens up a possibility near Dulles for Potomac?  Also, I  wonder if F-burg or maybe something in Stafford would look into Potomac.

Isn't Wilmington a KC affiliate?
Correct, the Wilmington (DE) Blue Rocks are a KC Royals affiliate.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #18: June 24, 2015, 12:19:33 PM »
so take the closest affiliate and move it to Upstate NY, Georgia (having been to sand nats games, not only is that place a dump, but there is a wee bit of a bug problem if there is no breeze at night) or NC? If Loudon got close for an indy league team (who know how close it actually was), a minor league team associated with the Nats may stand a chance, something around Fredericksburg/Stafford could work, but I wonder how many people from closer in would want to drive down RT1/95 in the summer
I don't think Loudoun got close at all, I think it was all smoke and mirrors and that guy made off with a bucket of money. But, I do think it is a viable area.

Upstate NY - maybe - but I doubt that the Carolina League wants to expand that far north. If the P-Nats lose their "accreditation" - they'll still need to be a Carolina League affiliate to replace them.

I think Fredericksburg was closer to reality than Loudoun.  But Silber, Loudoun and Fredereicksburg all have some commonalities in that there's an owner with his hand out and if you just give him enough money or free land, then he can make it happen. Fredericksburg didn't get the free land and Silber cannot find the big money sponsors, so, those projects aren't happening...

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19: June 24, 2015, 01:47:42 PM »
Slightly outside the box - How would Charlottesville work for minor league ball?  I assume they could use the UVA field for most of June, July, and August and split time in May and April.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #20: June 24, 2015, 03:12:00 PM »
Slightly outside the box - How would Charlottesville work for minor league ball?  I assume they could use the UVA field for most of June, July, and August and split time in May and April.

Since I live in Charlottesville, this is what I've been saying for years :) I'm not sure why this has never been fully explored. Thanks to John Grisham we have a great field down here...

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #21: June 24, 2015, 03:16:45 PM »
Charlottesville might be a good location for an Appalachian League short-season team as well. That's a level we're missing, right?

Offline blue911

« Reply #22: June 24, 2015, 03:41:23 PM »
Charlottesville might be a good location for an Appalachian League short-season team as well. That's a level we're missing, right?

There's a team in the GCL and NYPL I don't see the need for a third short season team.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #23: June 24, 2015, 04:33:50 PM »
There's a team in the GCL and NYPL I don't see the need for a third short season team.

Spoil sport.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #24: June 25, 2015, 07:22:14 AM »
Are there enough people in town after school is out to fill the stands?