Author Topic: Potomac Nationals New Stadium - Fredericksburg!  (Read 44899 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Potomac Nationals New Stadium Watch
« Reply #200: January 29, 2018, 11:07:25 PM »
I think if the Single A Nationals are going to stay in the area the Lerners are going to have to put up some money.

Is there any appetite anywhere to let tax payers pay for a single a ballpark?

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #201: January 29, 2018, 11:12:15 PM »
I don't think so.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #202: January 29, 2018, 11:16:58 PM »
I think if the Single A Nationals are going to stay in the area the Lerners are going to have to put up some money.

Is that even allowed, without the Nats buying the PNats?  I can’t find much info on the relationship between the MLB and MiLB clubs but this leads me to think it isn’t allowed.  https://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2012/9/21/3365232/rule-56-standard-player-development-contract

I think there is a trend building towards the MLB clubs buying their affiliates, partially to have more control over the facilities and partially to avoid getting stuck with the bad locations. There will be 0 competition for the PNats as long as they are in the Pfitz but I would love to see the Nats buy the Senators. It’s a nice park with good facilities and it would be a shame to have someone else displace the Nats there.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #203: January 30, 2018, 09:00:05 AM »

I truly believe the Loudoun CO BOS would try.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #204: January 30, 2018, 09:12:07 AM »
I truly believe the Loudoun CO BOS would try.
Build and they will come. Or if not at least the campaign contributions will be in their pockets. Somehow Silber has lined the pockets of far right Corey Stewart in PWC.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #205: January 30, 2018, 09:15:15 AM »
Build and they will come. Or if not at least the campaign contributions will be in their pockets. Somehow Silber has lined the pockets of far right Corey Stewart in PWC.

So far, these cats have tried a minor league baseball/soccer stadium (fail) and a facility and stadium for United.     They've got some kind of deal with Snyder and the practice facility.     We got money to burn (so they think).      :money:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #207: February 01, 2018, 08:19:15 AM »
Alexandria too rebuffs Silber's efforts to get it to backstop bonds to find the stadium:

http://www.insidenova.com/news/business/prince_william/alexandria-not-interested-in-potomac-nationals/article_9f680e2a-06c5-11e8-9eeb-0f3392a986c6.html

Alexandria wouldn't even give the Dukes a license to sell beer during games so no surprise there.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #208: February 01, 2018, 08:24:10 AM »
How long until the league makes him sell or it contracts the team? It's getting obvious that he won't get the hand out he's looking for and he won't put in his own money

Offline imref

« Reply #209: February 01, 2018, 09:16:27 AM »
How long until the league makes him sell or it contracts the team? It's getting obvious that he won't get the hand out he's looking for and he won't put in his own money

we'll see if they approve another waiver to stay at the Pfitz.  I'd think at some point the Nationals just buy the team from him.  Silber is in his 80s IIRC.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #210: February 01, 2018, 09:22:21 AM »
we'll see if they approve another waiver to stay at the Pfitz.  I'd think at some point the Nationals just buy the team from him.  Silber is in his 80s IIRC.

do the nationals want to buy a team and have to build them a stadium almost immediately?

Offline imref

« Reply #211: February 01, 2018, 09:34:03 AM »
do the nationals want to buy a team and have to build them a stadium almost immediately?

i assume they want to keep a club near D.C. for players to use for rehab starts, so I assume there's interest in maintaining the P-Nats in the area.  Loudoun county would really be the perfect spot for the P-Nats if they could work out some sort of deal.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #212: February 01, 2018, 12:34:06 PM »
i assume they want to keep a club near D.C. for players to use for rehab starts, so I assume there's interest in maintaining the P-Nats in the area.  Loudoun county would really be the perfect spot for the P-Nats if they could work out some sort of deal.

No Loudoun wouldn't.    I guess you could put it in the short term and daily parking area at Dulles.   That would make it closer to the subway stop than the airport terminal.

Offline imref

« Reply #213: February 01, 2018, 01:46:53 PM »
No Loudoun wouldn't.    I guess you could put it in the short term and daily parking area at Dulles.   That would make it closer to the subway stop than the airport terminal.

what about the Loudoun One area that the Hounds were supposed to play at?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #214: February 01, 2018, 02:27:16 PM »
what about the Loudoun One area that the Hounds were supposed to play at?

I believe the supes changed the zoning to homes.    Developers probably bought 'em off after the Hounds folded.    I'm trying to figure out where they wanna put the new Amazon place (if Loudoun and Fairfax get it).     I've heard just off the toll road east of the airport.    I think it's near the current quarry pit  ....   between Innovation and 606.

Based on my readin' of the tea leaves, lots of people are tired of the "sh**" the board is trying to stuff in E. Loudoun.    There's been fumin' about the United plan and what the citizenry is afraid Danny may want.    We ain't even talkin' about the huge cement boxes holding the clouds (that's as technical as I get.  :)).         Plus, the folks in W. Loudoun wanna keep the pastoral look.     :shrug:

Offline Glockypoo

P-Nats moving to Fredericksburg?
« Reply #215: June 26, 2018, 09:42:21 PM »

Offline imref

« Reply #216: June 26, 2018, 09:43:01 PM »
Goodbye Potomac, Hello Fredericksburg Nationals:

https://www.milb.com/potomac/news/newballparksite/c-283058280

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #217: June 26, 2018, 09:47:27 PM »
 :shock:

Offline mitlen

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #219: June 26, 2018, 09:49:55 PM »
Goodbye Potomac, Hello Fredericksburg Nationals:

https://www.milb.com/potomac/news/newballparksite/c-283058280

Thornburg would have been more convenient for me...and they have a Dairy Queen right there at the I-95 exit...

Offline HalfSmokes

Good luck, they backed out of a deal to get the suns over the price of a 5,000 seat stadium which, coincidently, is what they’re offering the p-nats, if Silber really can convince a city to spend $30 million on a stadium for a single a team, more power to him

Offline imref

Good luck, they backed out of a deal to get the suns over the price of a 5,000 seat stadium which, coincidently, is what they’re offering the p-nats, if Silber really can convince a city to spend $30 million on a stadium for a single a team, more power to him

Yep.

Offline imref

More details on the deal:
https://www.fredericksburg.com/news/local/fredericksburg/fredericksburg-will-get-another-swing-at-baseball/article_ef02f2fd-28ea-5469-91da-cae854f1bf44.html

Silber is funding the stadium himself.  Fredricksburg will pay around $1 million a year in rent to use the stadium on non-game days.  They estimate recouping most of that via property taxes and other stadium-related revenues.  This sounds like a better deal than what PWC had negotiated given that PWC had to build a parking garage, float bonds, and guarantee loans.  Still, the $1 million a year fee will likely be a tough sell.   Also, the article notes that the team will have Fredricksburg in its name, so likely the Fredricksburg Nationals.

Offline HalfSmokes

Does Silber magically have the money now? If he had the cash, Stonebridge was the more valuable location, he just couldn’t afford it

Online Natsinpwc

Does Silber magically have the money now? If he had the cash, Stonebridge was the more valuable location, he just couldn’t afford it
Sounds like the local yokels down there will pony up some money. Or maybe not when the taxpayers find out. Stay tuned.