Author Topic: Nationals acquire Doug Fister from Tigers  (Read 24423 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Nationals acquire Doug Fister from Tigers
« Reply #375: December 03, 2013, 03:08:06 PM »
I'm really starting to get the impression that we have something in Rizzo, hopefully a long-term Cashman/Sabean/Beane type relationship. I have complete faith in (a) his ability to target people who are likely to improve the team, and (b) his ability to come out at least even, but often on the better end of trade transactions. I don't know what else you could ask for in a GM.

I have faith in him to walk away winning trades and I have faith in his ability to bring in talent. What I lack is faith in his ability to address specific needs rather than just upgrading the team as a whole.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #376: December 03, 2013, 03:19:25 PM »
I don't understand.

SP depth behind Strasburg and Zimmermann wasn't a need for this team that he addressed twice with Gio and Fister? You're not feeling better having Gio/Fister/Detwiler on the end of the rotation vs. Lannan/Detwiler/Jordan?
Long-term C wasn't a need for this team? You don't feel better with Wilson Ramos over Jesus Flores?
CF wasn't a need for this team? You would rather have Bryce out there? [that one may be a trick question]

But seriously, he's addressed all the biggest needs on this team besides long-term bopper at 1B. And he can't MAGICALLY make Chris Marrero or Tyler Moore into impact players, or make Prince Fielder sign for a reasonable amount of money. I'm not sure there's been a single trade for a 1B or a single free agent 1B signing where I thought, why wasn't Rizzo in on that?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #377: December 03, 2013, 03:22:23 PM »
And he can't MAGICALLY make Chris Marrero or Tyler Moore into impact players...

Well then, he is an abject failure...  :couch:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #378: December 03, 2013, 03:26:32 PM »
I don't understand.

SP depth behind Strasburg and Zimmermann wasn't a need for this team that he addressed twice with Gio and Fister? You're not feeling better having Gio/Fister/Detwiler on the end of the rotation vs. Lannan/Detwiler/Jordan?
Long-term C wasn't a need for this team? You don't feel better with Wilson Ramos over Jesus Flores?
CF wasn't a need for this team? You would rather have Bryce out there? [that one may be a trick question]

But seriously, he's addressed all the biggest needs on this team besides long-term bopper at 1B. And he can't MAGICALLY make Chris Marrero or Tyler Moore into impact players, or make Prince Fielder sign for a reasonable amount of money. I'm not sure there's been a single trade for a 1B or a single free agent 1B signing where I thought, why wasn't Rizzo in on that?

depth at SP was a need and given the cost, that's what fister is, but I don't think it's the major need- we have a great rotation, but number 4 pitchers become pretty useless if you plan on having your number 1 pitch twice in a series. I know it's about getting there and having a shot at advancing, but you also need to acquire assets to win in the post season. I think hitting remains the need. I think it's been the need for a while and I don't think span addressed it.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #379: December 03, 2013, 03:26:39 PM »
From Nats Enquirer:  Merry Fistmas!

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #380: December 03, 2013, 03:27:11 PM »

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #381: December 03, 2013, 03:27:32 PM »
Jordan Zimmernann's 3d comparable (slightly behind Mark Prior and Connie Johnson) per B-R is . . . Doug Fister.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/z/zimmejo02.shtml

Doug Fister's top comparable is . . . Jordan Zimmermann.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/fistedo01.shtml

Offline The Chief

« Reply #382: December 03, 2013, 03:28:22 PM »

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #383: December 03, 2013, 03:33:25 PM »
:wtf:

Offline Displaced Bucco

• Atlanta delenda est - Davey the Elder & WT Sherman
« Reply #384: December 03, 2013, 03:34:36 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

That looks like it belongs in the Marlins' ballpark!

Offline The Chief

« Reply #385: December 03, 2013, 03:35:22 PM »

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #386: December 03, 2013, 03:40:45 PM »
Just noticed Chief's new avi... :lmao:

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #387: December 03, 2013, 03:42:42 PM »
I understand the worries about the offense, but here's the team Rizzo fielded last year (and likely to field again this year) with their wOBA rank among NL regulars listed.

C: Ramos 6/15 with over 300 ABs
1B: LaRoche 9/11 with over 400 ABs
2B: Rendon 7/12
3B: Zimmerman 3/14
SS: Desmond 2/12
LF: Harper 3/10
CF: Span 9/13
RF: Jayson Werth 1/17

So while I understand concern over the offense, it's crazy to blame Rizzo. He's put above-average offensive players at 5 of 8 positions, and I'd say Rendon has a chance to be a 6th this year (LaRoche probably does too, but I don't want to poke the bear too much). It's really not his fault that Zimmerman decided to settle in at about 80% of his peak, Harper wasn't "HarpGod" last year but merely a very good offensive player, or that ownership wasn't willing to pay Albert Pujols or Prince Fielder $200+ million to start their immediate declines here rather than in LA and Detroit.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #388: December 03, 2013, 03:42:47 PM »
From Nats Enquirer:  Merry Fistmas!

Great movie.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #389: December 03, 2013, 03:49:48 PM »
The one thing I will say is that I wish we had signed Mike Napoli. That was a miss.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #390: December 03, 2013, 03:52:27 PM »
The one thing I will say is that I wish we had signed Mike Napoli. That was a miss.
Um... he's still available.

Offline blue911

« Reply #391: December 03, 2013, 03:52:58 PM »

Still has two bad hips and can't take cortisone.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #392: December 03, 2013, 03:55:03 PM »

I meant instead of LaRoche when they were both free agents. I would also support signing him now.

Offline rbw5t

« Reply #393: December 03, 2013, 04:09:58 PM »
Essentially. I'll admit that in 2011 his velocity on the two pitches was 89.6 and 89.9 respectively. So it's fallen since then. But that was a rise from his previous two years. So it's essentially remained the same, and the pitches seem to have gotten better.

I don't know enough to know what's supposed to be mean-reverting and what isn't, but isn't it a reasonable glass half-empty view to assume that a fastball that had increased success on reduced (or constant) velocity is poised to give back that increased success in the future?

Offline rbw5t

« Reply #394: December 03, 2013, 04:11:32 PM »
Still has two bad hips and can't take cortisone.

I hadn't heard that -- why can't he take cortisone?  Just out of curiosity, not challenging the fact or advocating signing him.

Offline blue911

« Reply #395: December 03, 2013, 04:16:26 PM »
I hadn't heard that -- why can't he take cortisone?  Just out of curiosity, not challenging the fact or advocating signing him.

More than likely, excess cortisone use is what caused the necrosis in the first place.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #396: December 03, 2013, 04:58:17 PM »
Where is Doge Fister?

There are some pics I can't see due to web sense

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #397: December 03, 2013, 05:05:04 PM »
Intentional Talk (MLB.TV) givin' Fister and Nats' rotation lots of props.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #398: December 03, 2013, 05:07:01 PM »
I don't understand.

I'd rather have Bryce Harper out there and have Choo in LF

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #399: December 03, 2013, 05:07:33 PM »
Intentional Talk (MLB.TV) givin' Fister lots of props.

Nats in general too...