Author Topic: Nationals acquire Doug Fister from Tigers  (Read 24339 times)

Offline houston-nat

Re: Nationals acquire Doug Fister from Tigers
« Reply #350: December 03, 2013, 01:01:05 PM »
http://natsinsider.com/2013/12/03/rizzo-on-fister-trade-5th-starter-and-more/

Highlight for me:

We really had identified Doug as our primary acquisition target as far as starting pitchers go, thought he was an undervalued asset. We thought that we had really strong scouting reports from our scouts in the field, we had extremely strong sabermetrics reports from our analysts here in the office. A guy that I’ve seen pitch over the years and I’ve scouted personally at times and fit the criteria that we were looking for for one of our rotation starters: a big, physical pitcher that takes the ball and logs innings and has had success at the most crucial times in a team’s season. So, we like the entire package with him. We also liked that he had multiple years of control and a guy that we think can grow with the Nationals.”

Q: Does Fister’s reputation as a groundball pitcher fit well with new manager Matt Williams and defensive coach Mark Weidemaier’s philosophy?
“Again, I think that’s going to play into his success here. Because of the advanced techniques that we’re going to employ this year will be an aid to that.

“We feel that we’d like to tweak the bullpen a little bit. We’d like to help the bench a little bit.”