Author Topic: Barves: Knights Templar of Unwritten Rules and gutless anti-American douche bags  (Read 84075 times)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Flying Squirrels is already taken, so that's out...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

The thing with Abe rigging it did get me curious though - anybody that's a basketball fan and somewhat old timer recall what the alternatives to Wizards were? They must have either been awful to have A. Lost to such a stupid name as Wizards and B. Lost because the owner refused to even consider them, despite supposedly holding a public vote.

As I recall Wizards had zero popularity among the voting public, but that's what Irene wanted (Abe's wife).  And so we're stuck with it.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
In name vote, fans settle for 'Wizards' Bullets followers make choice from unpopular lot
February 23, 1996|By Jerry Bembry | Jerry Bembry,SUN STAFF

None of the five final name proposals had received widespread approval -- with fans booing the selections loudly each time they were displayed during recent home games -- but yesterday the name change became official for the Washington Bullets.

The new name -- the Washington Wizards.

Bullets owner Abe Pollin made the announcement last night on a D.C. newscast. Pollin was joined by players Chris Webber, Rasheed Wallace and Jim McIlvaine.

McIlvaine had stated his liking of the name Sea Dogs, one of the finalists along with Dragons, Express and Stallions. But while Pollin would not give the final results of the voting (conducted by calling a 900 number), he said Wizards won by a wide margin.

"The Wizards is extremely clever," Pollin said. "When we create a logo, select the colors and a uniform, it will be fantastic."

The name change will go into effect for the 1997-98 season when the team moves to downtown Washington. It marks the first time an NBA team has changed names without changing cities. Pollin said he made the change because of the name Bullets being associated with violence.

Pollin will submit the name to the league, which will come up with logo and color possibilities. He said he will have the final say on the design.

"It has to be something that I like," Pollin said. "I'll try to OK something that hopefully everyone will like."

Pollin said changing the name and logo has nothing to do with cashing in on sales of NBA attire, which generate millions of dollars.

"This name change is just one little part of the anti-violence campaign," Pollin said. "This name, the Bullets, had been part of my life for 32 years. I have a championship ring with Bullets on it. I'm prepared to give that up."

Webber, who said he is feeling fine after his season-ending shoulder surgery, said the new name was "all right."

"I'll just have to have Wizards on my ring," Webber said.

Offline Displaced Bucco

• Atlanta delenda est - Davey the Elder & WT Sherman
I wonder what McCann would have done to Puig last night...

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
McCann strikes me as the fat kid who used his weight to push the other kids around.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Chickened-out. :)

Offline Copecwby20

Screamed angrily from the stands because he's in his offseason.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
I swear this is a GAME that is being played.  Must we all be like DR SPOCK and be devoid of emotion when we do something great!   I read an interview with Victorino about his reaction to hitting a Grand Slam.  He kept saying, I meant no disrespect to the Tigers.  He said it over and over again! 

My God, has baseball come to this that you cant celebrate an accomplishment?   He hit a GRAND SLAM and put his team ahead!  The guy shouldn't have to apologize for feeling the human emotion of unimaginable joy!

Offline Kevrock

Just a reminder that the Braves are still huge douche bags.

Offline Kevrock

Thread title and first post updated, had to get creative as we were close to the limit.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Barves: The Knights Templar of Unwritten Rules and huge anti-American douche bags Thread

Offline Kevrock

I think the The has to go before Barves.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
I think the The has to go before Barves.

That would give them status.

Offline RobertFickFan

http://deadspin.com/the-braves-set-the-american-flag-on-fire-at-their-home-1561423700

Mods, feel free to move to the OOT forum but I figured it is somewhat nats Nats related. It reaffirms the Nats as the team of Liberty, Freedom, and American pride while the Braves stand for Fascism, Communism, and everything that is un-American.

Totally agree with the assessment that this will be the defining image of the Braves 2014 season.

Offline HalfSmokes

so is burning an american flag enough to get them on the no fly list?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
That should make their series in SF next month quite a challenge...maybe they can charter a USX coal train
so is burning an american flag enough to get them on the no fly list?

Offline RobDibblesGhost

I actually know one of the guys who does the fireworks at Turner Field. Someone brought it up on Facebook and he called it a fluke and said the wind shifted the flag's direction on the third shot out of four. He said it was out within a matter of seconds and that the flag was replaced later in the game.

Offline Kevrock

The only fluke is that somehow MLB let a bunch of anti-American extremists into the league.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
The Braves: Ted 'n' Jane's Team rooted for by an artificial fandom created by television, consisting of drooling lobotomised idiots doing robotic tomahawk chops.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Barves reliever Carpenter plunking a batter today and being mouthy.  Hope he brings that crap to DC so we can hand his ass to him...

Online blue911

Barves reliever Carpenter plunking a batter today and being mouthy.  Hope he brings that crap to DC so we can hand his ass to him...

Dickerson fouled a ball off of Laird's mask, which rocked him. Then hits him with his back swing which knocked him out of the game. Carpenter probably thought he was facing Machado.