Author Topic: Barves: Knights Templar of Unwritten Rules and gutless anti-American douche bags  (Read 84026 times)

Offline Copecwby20

:old:  Responding in kind is not much of a long term success strategy, young padawan.

That's what proxies are for.

Offline Coladar

Good, well written piece ripping the Braves to shreds, and I'll echo the sentiments that it's refreshing to see the Braves recognized for the douchey scumbags they are nationally. Playing in their division, we've known it for some time, so it's good to see others realizing what a crappy organization they are.

Any club putting out $#!t like that before even playing one post-season game? Yeah... jerk alert. Fear the chop, indeed.

Groups are eager to attack the Redskin name over other native inspired sport team names due to Redskin being an especially derogatory term, versus something like Braves or Indians, but where the freak is the hate for the "tomahawk chop" nonsense? I call that far more insensitive than a mere name could ever be.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Good, well written piece ripping the Braves to shreds, and I'll echo the sentiments that it's refreshing to see the Braves recognized for the douchey scumbags they are nationally. Playing in their division, we've known it for some time, so it's good to see others realizing what a crappy organization they are.

Any club putting out $#!t like that before even playing one post-season game? Yeah... jerk alert. Fear the chop, indeed.

Groups are eager to attack the Redskin name over other native inspired sport team names due to Redskin being an especially derogatory term, versus something like Braves or Indians, but where the freak is the hate for the "tomahawk chop" nonsense? I call that far more insensitive than a mere name could ever be.

Fans put out that video, not the team.

Offline Coladar

Just goes to show how much of that I watched - zero seconds worth. Figured based on the screen caps I saw it was Braves players in it, but a quick and too late Googling shows that not to be the case.

Too bad, would've been par for the course if Larry Jones and crew had put that claptrap together. And yet even though they didn't, amazingly the Braves still rate exactly the same in my eyes as they did when I thought they were behind the video - somewhere just above pedophiles and below human excrement.

Offline Copecwby20

I have well thought out anf valid points to talk about these douchrkangaroo videos that i wiuld likr to point out, but im smashfreakrd right now and inhave churcj in a few hours. Please allow me to expand upon this latrr

Offline Copecwby20

Yes, because clearly the fans goy a hold of tbe mascot and the tomahawk girls without team consent

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
.....Groups are eager to attack the Redskin name over other native inspired sport team names due to Redskin being an especially derogatory term, versus something like Braves or Indians, but where the freak is the hate for the "tomahawk chop" nonsense? I call that far more insensitive than a mere name could ever be.      

Ive been saying this all along.  You can't just go after the Redskins.  You have to go after the Indians, Braves, Chiefs, and Seminoles.  The Seminoles use the Chop too.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Sounds like a good start  :P

Ive been saying this all along.  You can't just go after the Redskins.  You have to go after the Indians, Braves, Chiefs, and Seminoles.  The Seminoles use the Chop too.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
I'd settle for the 'skins renaming if it meant the Braves had to rename and we got to savor their tears.

Offline Coladar

I'd settle for the 'skins renaming if it meant the Braves had to rename and we got to savor their tears.

You know, that really would almost be worth it. I can't say as though I'd want to see it even so, but it would offer a degree of consolation.

But of course, even if the name changes, s#!t like the Chop would never go away... Has the wave ever vanished despite the widely spread hate it causes?

One day all these team names will probably disappear - it just takes one right (or wrong) owner, likely one connected to a corporation or shareholders, and buh-bye. If the goddamn Bullets were deemed so freaking heinous a name two decades ago, Redskins, Chiefs, Braves... none have a chance. I still shudder everytime I hear the name Wizards - as I recall, don't we owe that name to some elementary schooler via a contest George Michael and NBC-4 held? Goodbye Redskins, hello Disco-Ballers. So long Braves, hi there Atlanta 'L33t Hackerz - lolz'.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
You know, that really would almost be worth it. I can't say as though I'd want to see it even so, but it would offer a degree of consolation.

But of course, even if the name changes, s#!t like the Chop would never go away... Has the wave ever vanished despite the widely spread hate it causes?

One day all these team names will probably disappear - it just takes one right (or wrong) owner, likely one connected to a corporation or shareholders, and buh-bye. If the goddamn Bullets were deemed so freaking heinous a name two decades ago, Redskins, Chiefs, Braves... none have a chance. I still shudder everytime I hear the name Wizards - as I recall, don't we owe that name to some elementary schooler via a contest George Michael and NBC-4 held? Goodbye Redskins, hello Disco-Ballers. So long Braves, hi there Atlanta 'L33t Hackerz - lolz'.

Abe fixed the vote.

Offline Coladar

Abe fixed the vote.

Damn that honest Abe - I knew he was scum always sabotaging Teddy, but fixing votes?!? Maybe out of work mid-90s mascot Abe figured he'd be a shoe-in with a team named for bearded dudes with freakishly tall hats.

(Really, that all sounded funnier in my head.)

Offline mitlen

Damn that honest Abe - I knew he was scum always sabotaging Teddy, but fixing votes?!? Maybe out of work mid-90s mascot Abe figured he'd be a shoe-in with a team named for bearded dudes with freakishly tall hats.

(Really, that all sounded funnier in my head.)

Wrong Abe.   :)

Online HalfSmokes

After the Ole Miss Admiral Akbar debacle, no one would be stupid enough to let fans vote on a team name

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
After the Ole Miss Admiral Akbar debacle, no one would be stupid enough to let fans vote on a team name
4chan would break the poll and they'd be the Atlanta Grannywusses.

Online HalfSmokes

What could possibly go wrong?

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance

Years ago they opened the voting to a single A baseball team name in MI.  The winning name was the Golden Kazoos.  I crap you not.  Luckily there was enough sense to say that ain't gonna work and they went with the Battle Cats.

Offline mitlen

Years ago they opened the voting to a single A baseball team name in MI.  The winning name was the Golden Kazoos.  I crap you not.  Luckily there was enough sense to say that ain't gonna work and they went with the Battle Cats.

Kalamazoo Goden Kazoos?

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
Kalamazoo Goden Kazoos?

You got it, though it might have been the Battle Creek Golden Kazoos.  For being a single A team I got to see some MLB players come through town.  We had season seats for 2-3 years.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

I'm in

Online HalfSmokes

Washington noble savages?

Offline Coladar

What could possibly go wrong?
(Image removed from quote.)

Hah! That one evoked a chuckle. Short of a profanity laden tirade calling a religious icon's sexual proclivities into question (Jesus, Muhammad, Buddha, Cthulu), that's got to be one of the most... offensive isn't the right word, but... blasphemous? things I've seen. I'm surprised I haven't seen that before in the bowels of the Interwebz.

I'm unfamiliar with the "It's a trap!" Ole' Miss snafu, but I'll look it up eventually.

Anyways though, in regard to both what I posted earlier and the comments about 'nobody voting nowadays'... If I recall right, NBC-4 fielded submissions from grade-schoolers (Always a way to get a perfect name - 7-year olds have such amazing vocabularies and knowledge bases to draw from.) Then George Michael, Abe Polin, maybe a couple players…? picked favorites. Then the masses 'voted' for them - but Mitlen's comment reminded me, I do recall it came out a few years later (I think Michael might have even been the revealer) that Abe said f*** it, I'm a Wizard! and the voting thing wasn't even a factor.

Then again, anybody that does away with a name which has some history because said name is Bullets clearly is an idiot to begin with. I'm still pissed they changed the name... Ooh, Bullets! Can't have the kiddies go on shooting sprees because their favorite team's called the bullets! We should all picket Warner Brothers - I'm offended by the fact my future kid will look at Superman, hear he's faster than a speeding bullet, then shoot me in my sleep to see if I, too, am faster than a speeding bullet.

My point being - there is a very simple fix to 4chan tweens: precisely what the Bullets did. Select a few preferred names, let the public vote on them and only them.

The thing with Abe rigging it did get me curious though - anybody that's a basketball fan and somewhat old timer recall what the alternatives to Wizards were? They must have either been awful to have A. Lost to such a stupid name as Wizards and B. Lost because the owner refused to even consider them, despite supposedly holding a public vote.

I'd Google it, but those were the days before the Interwebz - I cannot imagine an obscure 20 year old fake poll from a local TV affiliate made it into the annals of history.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I recall one of them was something odd like Sea Dogs.

Dragons, Express, Stallions, Sea Dogs, or Wizards

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Sea Dogs was definitely among the names. Also, I believe the Monuments and Riverdawgs were options.  :?

Online blue911

Sea Dogs was definitely among the names. Also, I believe the Monuments and Riverdawgs were options.  :?

Needledicks was right up there