Author Topic: Military History  (Read 6471 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Military History
« Reply #150: September 19, 2016, 01:09:31 PM »
if you register, they'll send you directions.  But here they are.  They suggest a donation of $10 per adult.

Figured on the "donation".    It's a fair price.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #151: September 24, 2016, 02:39:36 PM »
A reminder - National Museum of Americans in Wartime open house is this weekend:

http://www.nmaw.org/news/events/

There will be dozens of military vehicles, live demonstrations, military memorabilia, re-enactors, and much much more.  Come celebrate the Nats clinching the NL East!

Stopped by today   ....   enjoyed the vehicles/exhibits/re-enactors/etc.    One of the hi-lites was the FDNY pumper that had been destroyed at Ground Zero and mangled steel from the Towers.    Made the rounds several times but seemed to be drawn back to that exhibit.     Some of the re-enactors looked "familiar".    Asked one of the "Russians" if they go to the Reading (PA) show.    He said 'yep'.     So, if you've been to the Reading show, the NMAW/PWC show is similar without the air show.    Stopped at one of the Vietnam era displays which was manned by an active duty Marine.   I over heard him talkin' to some Cub Scouts.   I got to the front and was lookin' at the '60, M79 grenade launcher, LAW, the claymore, etc.    The young Marine asked, "Do you have any questions?"   I told him "no".        Enjoyed the day.     They're preparing a place along 95 (near Dale BLVD) as a permanent museum.

BTW  ....  there were tons of Nats' fans.    When I go to these things (particularly in the fall), I often see 'skins' stuff.    Today, lots of  :w:  and Nats' gear.   Of course, I had mine on.    Unfortunately, we weren't celebrating a division title.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #152: September 24, 2016, 03:15:47 PM »
Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I won't be able to make it this weekend.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #153: September 24, 2016, 03:29:51 PM »
Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I won't be able to make it this weekend.

Appreciated the heads up.    :thumbs:

As an aside for Legos fans, there was a scale model battleship made entirely from Legos.    It was maybe 13 or 15 feet long and looked great.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #154: November 10, 2016, 06:56:36 PM »
November 19 is the anniversary of the Gettysburg Address.    They have a nice ceremony in the cemetery on that Day.    Gettysburg is an easy ride from the Metro area.    In addition, there is a Remembrance Day Parade in Gettysburg on November 19th.    The parade is on a Saturday annually and it just so happens to coincide with the anniversary of Lincoln's address this year.    I've attended both (separately).    On the same day?    Should be an interesting historical day in Gettysburg.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #155: November 11, 2016, 12:25:34 AM »
Because it's an important message, especially given recent events and how people are reacting, this is the text of the Address as scribed at the Lincoln Memorial:

FOUR SCORE AND SEVEN YEARS AGO OUR FATHERS BROUGHT FORTH ON THIS CONTINENT A NEW NATION CONCEIVED IN LIBERTY AND DEDICATED TO THE PROPOSITION THAT ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL •

NOW WE ARE ENGAGED IN A GREAT CIVIL WAR TESTING WHETHER THAT NATION OR ANY NATION SO CONCEIVED AND SO DEDICATED CAN LONG ENDURE • WE ARE MET ON A GREAT BATTLEFIELD OF THAT WAR • WE HAVE COME TO DEDICATE A PORTION OF THAT FIELD AS A FINAL RESTING PLACE FOR THOSE WHO HERE GAVE THEIR LIVES THAT THAT NATION MIGHT LIVE • IT IS ALTOGETHER FITTING AND PROPER THAT WE SHOULD DO THIS • BUT IN A LARGER SENSE WE CAN NOT DEDICATE~WE CAN NOT CONSECRATE~WE CAN NOT HALLOW~THIS GROUND • THE BRAVE MEN LIVING AND DEAD WHO STRUGGLED HERE HAVE CONSECRATED IT FAR ABOVE OUR POOR POWER TO ADD OR DETRACT • THE WORLD WILL LITTLE NOTE NOR LONG REMEMBER WHAT WE SAY HERE BUT IT CAN NEVER FORGET WHAT THEY DID HERE • IT IS FOR US THE LIVING RATHER TO BE DEDICATED HERE TO THE UNFINISHED WORK WHICH THEY WHO FOUGHT HERE HAVE THUS FAR SO NOBLY ADVANCED • IT IS RATHER FOR US TO BE HERE DEDICATED TO THE GREAT TASK REMAINING BEFORE US~THAT FROM THESE HONORED DEAD WE TAKE INCREASED DEVOTION TO THAT CAUSE FOR WHICH THEY GAVE THE LAST FULL MEASURE OF DEVOTION~THAT WE HERE HIGHLY RESOLVE THAT THESE DEAD SHALL NOT HAVE DIED IN VAIN~THAT THIS NATION UNDER GOD SHALL HAVE A NEW BIRTH OF FREEDOM~AND THAT GOVERNMENT OF THE PEOPLE BY THE PEOPLE FOR THE PEOPLE SHALL NOT PERISH FROM THE EARTH •

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #156: November 11, 2016, 01:00:44 AM »
In ....da,freak? Marine Corps!!!!

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #157: November 11, 2016, 06:59:11 AM »
Because it's an important message, especially given recent events and how people are reacting, this is the text of the Address as scribed at the Lincoln Memorial:

FOUR SCORE AND SEVEN YEARS AGO OUR FATHERS BROUGHT FORTH ON THIS CONTINENT A NEW NATION CONCEIVED IN LIBERTY AND DEDICATED TO THE PROPOSITION THAT ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL •

NOW WE ARE ENGAGED IN A GREAT CIVIL WAR TESTING WHETHER THAT NATION OR ANY NATION SO CONCEIVED AND SO DEDICATED CAN LONG ENDURE • WE ARE MET ON A GREAT BATTLEFIELD OF THAT WAR • WE HAVE COME TO DEDICATE A PORTION OF THAT FIELD AS A FINAL RESTING PLACE FOR THOSE WHO HERE GAVE THEIR LIVES THAT THAT NATION MIGHT LIVE • IT IS ALTOGETHER FITTING AND PROPER THAT WE SHOULD DO THIS • BUT IN A LARGER SENSE WE CAN NOT DEDICATE~WE CAN NOT CONSECRATE~WE CAN NOT HALLOW~THIS GROUND • THE BRAVE MEN LIVING AND DEAD WHO STRUGGLED HERE HAVE CONSECRATED IT FAR ABOVE OUR POOR POWER TO ADD OR DETRACT • THE WORLD WILL LITTLE NOTE NOR LONG REMEMBER WHAT WE SAY HERE BUT IT CAN NEVER FORGET WHAT THEY DID HERE • IT IS FOR US THE LIVING RATHER TO BE DEDICATED HERE TO THE UNFINISHED WORK WHICH THEY WHO FOUGHT HERE HAVE THUS FAR SO NOBLY ADVANCED • IT IS RATHER FOR US TO BE HERE DEDICATED TO THE GREAT TASK REMAINING BEFORE US~THAT FROM THESE HONORED DEAD WE TAKE INCREASED DEVOTION TO THAT CAUSE FOR WHICH THEY GAVE THE LAST FULL MEASURE OF DEVOTION~THAT WE HERE HIGHLY RESOLVE THAT THESE DEAD SHALL NOT HAVE DIED IN VAIN~THAT THIS NATION UNDER GOD SHALL HAVE A NEW BIRTH OF FREEDOM~AND THAT GOVERNMENT OF THE PEOPLE BY THE PEOPLE FOR THE PEOPLE SHALL NOT PERISH FROM THE EARTH •

So when are they going to sandblast this to make room for the Reagan memorial?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #158: November 11, 2016, 07:22:08 AM »
So when are they going to sandblast this to make room for the Trump hotel?

FIFY

Offline mitlen

« Reply #159: November 11, 2016, 09:46:46 AM »
So when are they going to sandblast this to make room for the Reagan memorial?

:hysterical: