Author Topic: The Hunt for a Red October [Wait Until Next Year!]  (Read 66296 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Re: The Hunt for a Red October
« Reply #25: July 29, 2013, 03:56:12 PM »
I just don't want to deal with the off season crap talking. We need to go on a tear, and the Braves need to collapse.

It won't matter in Atlanta.  They'll be watching Georgia Tech football in two weeks anyway and the Braves will cease to matter.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #26: July 29, 2013, 03:57:13 PM »
Like we all know, I'm a baseball neophyte but I have a question. Let's say the Braves win the NL East, but the Nats make it to the WC game and advance, and then go on to win the NLDS against the Braves... Do the Nats then  have Rightful claim over the NL East title for 2013 season or would it be a lot of NL East doesn't mean crap when you drop the NLDS to a division opponent?

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #27: July 29, 2013, 03:58:40 PM »
Like we all know, I'm a baseball neophyte but I have a question. Let's say the Braves win the NL East, but the Nats make it to the WC game and advance, and then go on to win the NLDS against the Braves... Do the Nats then  have Rightful claim over the NL East title for 2013 season or would it be a lot of NL East doesn't mean crap when you drop the NLDS to a division opponent?

in that scenario the Braves are the NL East Regular season champ regardless

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #28: July 29, 2013, 04:00:17 PM »
In that scenario the Barves would be the division champs and, at the same time, would have no bragging rights at all.  It would drive them crazy.  In fact, this might be my favorite possible scenario.  I'll take losing the division to them to have them all know their division win was not only meaningless but easily refuted as an accomplishment by us saying, "Yeah but when it counted, we won."

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #29: July 29, 2013, 04:00:28 PM »

Since the 12-2 start the Braves have been a 500 club for over 90 games. That's who they are a 500 club - with a history of spectacular gagging down the stretch. Not something you can count on, but certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

The Nats have been a 500 club all year, the only question is can the Nats be better than a 500 club down the stretch

if we're removing hot starts, why not back out the national's 7-2 start?

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #30: July 29, 2013, 04:01:17 PM »
Hey!!!!  Take your fascist logic out of here!!!

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #31: July 29, 2013, 04:01:25 PM »

I'm not removing them - simply putting them in perspective

Note I said the Nats were a 500 club ALL year

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #32: July 29, 2013, 04:03:43 PM »

you also said the braves are a .500 club based on removing a hot start, but that logic, back out those two series sweeps against miami and chicago by then nats and they're 7 games under

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #33: July 29, 2013, 04:04:54 PM »
you also said the braves are a .500 club based on removing a hot start, but that logic, back out those two series sweeps against miami and chicago by then nats and they're 7 games under
I think he's also operating under the assumption that the Braves are what they have been but the Nats have vastly underperformed what they should be, which I think is a fair assumption.

Offline sph274

« Reply #34: July 29, 2013, 04:05:42 PM »

because removing the braves hot start makes it easier to say that they are total garbage, even though they are leading the division by 8.5 games heading into August. The Nats haven't even been a .500 team this year yet the braves are "horrible" caue, I mean, after they went on the hot streak they totally sucked! the dodgers suck if you ignore this recent hot streak!! the braves have also been a .521 team since that start. If you remove the nats "hot start", they are a .464 team. the Cubs are a .466 team as are the Angels.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #35: July 29, 2013, 04:06:39 PM »

What are you talking about ? 

I'm talking about 90+ game sample size for the Braves and 105 game sample size for the Nats - not an isolated series here and there

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #36: July 29, 2013, 04:07:40 PM »
because removing the braves hot start makes it easier to say that they are total garbage, even though they are leading the division by 8.5 games heading into August. The Nats haven't even been a .500 team this year yet the braves are "horrible" caue, I mean, after they went on the hot streak they totally sucked! the dodgers suck if you ignore this recent hot streak!! the braves have also been a .521 team since that start. If you remove the nats "hot start", they are a .464 team.
Well since we're discussing scenarios where the Nats make the playoffs you basically have to make the assumption that the Braves aren't very good outside of a hot start and that the Nats are much better than their record would indicate.  In the context of this discussion, I don't think your opinion on whether that is true or not really matters.  It is the only assumption that is workable in a scenario where the Nats win the division.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #37: July 29, 2013, 04:07:47 PM »
What are you talking about ? 

I'm talking about 90+ game sample size for the Braves and 105 game sample size for the Nats - not an isolated series here and there

you're talking about removing a hot start for one team, but ignoring a 7-2 start for another team

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #38: July 29, 2013, 04:09:18 PM »
because removing the braves hot start makes it easier to say that they are total garbage, even though they are leading the division by 8.5 games heading into August. The Nats haven't even been a .500 team this year yet the braves are "horrible" caue, I mean, after they went on the hot streak they totally sucked! the dodgers suck if you ignore this recent hot streak!! the braves have also been a .521 team since that start. If you remove the nats "hot start", they are a .464 team.

LOL hyperbole much. Who said they are garbage?

They have played like a 500 team for 5 months that makes them much more mediocre than awesome. And on what planet is 7-2 a hot start? The Nats have been a 500 team (at best) all year.

Don't know why this is such an unreasonable point of view. You act like the Braves are some awesome juggernaut when the last 90+ games would suggest they have merely been mediocre.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #39: July 29, 2013, 04:09:48 PM »
you're talking about removing a hot start for one team, but ignoring a 7-2 start for another team

7-2 is not a hot start

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #40: July 29, 2013, 04:10:36 PM »
7-2 is not a hot start

but 12-2 is?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #41: July 29, 2013, 04:11:31 PM »

Yes but we needed a 3-game win streak to get back to 2 games under .500.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #42: July 29, 2013, 04:12:39 PM »
but 12-2 is?

I have no idea what point you're trying to make

My point is - The Braves last 90 games would suggest they are a 500 team, therefore, catching them would be easier than if they were playing "lights" out the last several weeks like the Dodgers have been.

Capish?

Offline sph274

« Reply #43: July 29, 2013, 04:13:01 PM »
I wouldnt say that they are an unstoppable juggernaut. They arent going anywhere in the playoffs. The Nats arent going anywhere close to the playoffs.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #44: July 29, 2013, 04:13:17 PM »
I have no idea what point you're trying to make

My point is - The Braves last 90 games would suggest they are a 500 team, therefore, catching them would be easier than if they were playing "lights" out the last several weeks like the Dodgers have been.

Capish?

No.  But I "capice" your point.  ;)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #45: July 29, 2013, 04:13:25 PM »

Yes, but we've been mostly at 500 or better pretty much all year - it's just the week after the all star game we dipped more than 1 or 2 games below

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #46: July 29, 2013, 04:13:40 PM »
No.  But I "capice" your point.  ;)

LOL I was trying to figure out how to spell that

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #47: July 29, 2013, 04:13:44 PM »
That's pretty irrelevant.  Baseball is a streaky season filled with winning streaks and losing streaks.  When looking at the full season the fact that we happened to win our last three games is selective sampling when a much larger sample size is available.  In other words, it's statistical heresy.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #48: July 29, 2013, 04:15:01 PM »
I wouldnt say that they are an unstoppable juggernaut. They arent going anywhere in the playoffs. The Nats arent going anywhere close to the playoffs.

So says you

Teams fall in and out of playoff races ALL the time. The Braves have a history of choking late and the Nats have had a history of hot streaks - maybe both happen. Maybe not

We'll find out soon enough

Offline sph274

« Reply #49: July 29, 2013, 04:15:03 PM »
That's pretty irrelevant.  Baseball is a streaky season filled with winning streaks and losing streaks.  When looking at the full season the fact that we happened to win our last three games is selective sampling when a much larger sample size is available.  In other words, it's statistical heresy.

as is removing the first 15 games of the season. Saying the Braves are a .500 team by pulling the streak where they have played well is statistical heresy.