Author Topic: Nationals @ Mets, Game 1  (Read 14212 times)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Re: Nationals @ Mets, Game 1
« Reply #500: June 28, 2013, 11:55:16 PM »
The cake is a lie

Sorry, but we will be serving pie and punch.

Just getting in after a night out. That, ladies and gentlemen, is why you play the game on the field and not on paper.

Now let the kid confound them tomorrow.

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #501: June 29, 2013, 12:06:43 AM »
Quote from: MorseMythology on June 27, 2013, 11:08:55 PM
I'm sure we'll win a series where we face Harvey-Gee-Wheeler and don't pitch Zimmermann or Strasburg!!! And probably without Bryce. If we score five runs total this weekend, I'll be stunned.

If we take one of the next two we win the series.  They have already put up six.  You stunned yet?  I hope your blue and orange aren't bleeding through. 

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #502: June 29, 2013, 12:33:09 AM »

When being an ESPN Top Performer isn't enough.

Hey, Harvey here's to you buddy.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #503: June 29, 2013, 01:30:52 AM »
wait wait wait

after all that doom and gloom on page 3 and 4....

we won??

say whaaaaaaaaaat? Unpossible!

wasn't the game over the second Harvey took the mound?

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #504: June 29, 2013, 01:34:28 AM »
Missed the game, saw the highlights but that obviously doesn't tell much. How was Detwiler? Did he look like he was getting back to form?

Offline PC

« Reply #505: June 29, 2013, 06:06:13 AM »
I was listening to the Braves game and Chode Caray said something like “And that’s I think the most exciting thing about this Braves team, Tommy.  Here we are, five and half games up and you have two or three players that really haven’t hit stride, at all, offensively yet.”   Then Tom Glavine and Joe Simpson added to the choditude.

The converse is also true.  You’re ONLY five and half games up and the Nationals’, far and away, best player hasn’t played for a month and the entire rest of the offense, not just two or three players, has been flatlining.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #506: June 29, 2013, 08:13:35 AM »
I was listening to the Braves game and Chode Caray said something like “And that’s I think the most exciting thing about this Braves team, Tommy.  Here we are, five and half games up and you have two or three teams that really haven’t hit stride, at all, offensively yet.”   Then Tom Glavine and Joe Simpson added to the choditude.

The converse is also true.  You’re ONLY five and half games up and the Nationals’, far and away, best player hasn’t played for a month and the entire rest of the offense, not just two or three players, has been flatlining.

So that's what all those Barves fans chant: "Chooooooooooooooooooooooad! Choooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooad!"

Offline RL04

« Reply #507: June 29, 2013, 10:42:04 AM »
I was listening to the Braves game and Chode Caray said something like “And that’s I think the most exciting thing about this Braves team, Tommy.  Here we are, five and half games up and you have two or three teams that really haven’t hit stride, at all, offensively yet.” 

That doesn't even make any sense.

If the Braves are so good and the other teams "haven’t hit stride"  then the Braves should be much further ahead.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #508: June 29, 2013, 11:18:26 AM »
Saw the game from upper deck just to 3B side of home. Notes:

- Werth won the game. Heroic effort to run that double in the 9th. Could see that he wasn't moving comfortably in RF. Then to run and dive for second base. Hats off. (Side note: I'm not sure Bob & FP caught it, but Werth started his dive about a step short...was skidding to a stop and the play was closer than it should have been). Scoring, Werth pulled up about 2/3 of the way between 3B and home...half walked and half hopped the last few yards. Clearly hurting. Then right back out for the 9th.

- Agreed with Mets fans behind me: Terry Collins over-manages. Astonished that he pulled Aardsma in the 8th with 2 out to bring in a string of humpty-dumpty hittable relief pitchers. I think Edgin pitched to one batter. Looked at the ERA and WHIP of each reliever, and they are all bad.

- Ryan Zimmerman: what a hit and what a situation! Also: Rendon is pretty quick around the bases. Side-note: the Shea II scoreboard pictured Jordan Zimmermann the first two time Ryan Z batted.

- Desmond. Just Desmond. Should have held the ball after the big bobble; probably did not have good grip on a wet ball when he bounced the throw to LaRoche. Otherwise, saw Desmond deep to his right throw a rocket to make the out at first. Oh, and the sound of that homer...

- Span doesn't hit homers, but he hits the ball hard. Might be playing through a sore foot, but the Nats did well to get him.

- Storen has it. Overpowered the best Mets hitters, including David Wright...and for a while it looked like no Nat pitcher could stop Wright.

- Odd: Marlon Byrd has 12 homers...on his career he only has 94. Has be been lifting weights?

- Bernadina will get anything that's gettable and has a good arm, or is smart enough to use his charging-in momentum to get extra power on his throws. Hitting more like last season...another reason to like Davey: DJ keeps saying that he's trying to get the subs enough playing time. Thinking about the season. Clearly has decided to minimize Kobernus and Marrero.

- Harvey is special. Nats had 3 hits and about three more hard-hit liners, but those 11 K's were genuine. Not a fluke among them. Throwing 98 mph fastball to start, "dropped" t0 94 and 95 by the 6th and 7th innings. Painful when he changes speeds.

- More than a few Nats fans at the game. Especially noticeable because they bunched up at the subway card-swipe machines. (Ouch! Seemed unable to manage the difference between the Metro and the NYC Subway machines ;))

Offline PC

« Reply #509: June 29, 2013, 11:42:38 AM »
That doesn't even make any sense.

If the Braves are so good and the other teams "haven’t hit stride"  then the Braves should be much further ahead.

Players not teams.  Braves players.

Mis-transcribed and didn't catch it.