Author Topic: Hagerstown now looking at Fredericksburg  (Read 12440 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Re: Hagerstown now looking at Fredericksburg
« Reply #50: February 06, 2014, 08:46:51 PM »
They piss around with Major League Loyalties too. 

Minor League Affiliates come and go.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #51: February 06, 2014, 09:07:51 PM »
Interesting to note that the article in the Fredericksburg news does not mention ground breaking or any other indication of progress towards a 2015 Opener.

I'll have to look for it but there was an article on fredericksburg.com a few weeks ago that said a ground breaking ceremony was scheduled for March.

Pretty sure the extension request is something the suns ownership group was required to file.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #53: February 08, 2014, 07:03:14 AM »
I hate it when MLB teams piss around with minor league loyalties like the fans in Hagerstown or even those in Viera.
Sickening.   
MLB has very little to do with this. MLB teams have agreements with minor league franchises - like the Nationals and the Hagerstown Suns. These agreements are generally for 2-4 years. There are a few MLB teams that own some of their minor league franchises; The Nats are not one of those teams.

There is a group of people, or a person, or a company that own the franchise in Hagerstown. The franchise thinks that they can make more money playing in a new stadium in Fredericksburg. So, they are going to move.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #54: February 08, 2014, 08:54:47 AM »
I'm really surprised more teams font take their minor league affiliates in house

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #55: February 08, 2014, 04:54:24 PM »
A fair-minded compromise would be to move to Hagersburg.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #56: February 08, 2014, 06:46:26 PM »
Been to Fredericksburg/Richmond/The Roads/the beach, etc.  too many times to say I enjoy the view on 95.    :)    I prefer the "back way" when heading south.

Bunch of dirty minds around here.   :nono:  (wish I'd have thought of it)

:old:     What occurred to me was Dylan:

Idiot wind, blowing every time you move your mouth
Blowing down the backroads heading south
Idiot wind, blowing every time you move your teeth
You’re an idiot, babe
It’s a wonder that you still know how to breathe

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #57: February 08, 2014, 06:51:06 PM »
I hate it when MLB teams piss around with minor league loyalties like the fans in Hagerstown or even those in Viera.
Sickening.

Commerce.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #58: February 08, 2014, 07:01:15 PM »
Bunch of dirty minds around here.   :nono:  (wish I'd have thought of it)

:old:     What occurred to me was Dylan:

Idiot wind, blowing every time you move your mouth
Blowing down the backroads heading south
Idiot wind, blowing every time you move your teeth
You’re an idiot, babe
It’s a wonder that you still know how to breathe

I was speaking of 28/15/522/33  ...  Ain't me with a dirty mind.   :)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #59: February 11, 2014, 03:59:48 PM »
Or put another way, the captains of industry crushing the spirit of the 99% to perpetuate the system of slavery that the masses have been brainwashed into believing provides them with real liberty.  Man the barricades for the Suns!! 

Commerce.

Offline blue911

« Reply #60: February 11, 2014, 04:01:57 PM »
Or put another way, the captains of industry crushing the spirit of the 99% to perpetuate the system of slavery that the masses have been brainwashed into believing provides them with real liberty.  Man the barricades for the Suns!!

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #61: March 16, 2014, 02:35:29 AM »
If not Frederick still belongs to Baltimore??-- how about Annapolis?

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #62: March 16, 2014, 06:58:08 PM »
Frederick doesn't "belong" to Baltimore, MLB teams don't have any territorial rights to the minor league franchises. The Orioles have been smart to capitalize on the local markets and sign them up as affiliates. Minor league franchisees and major league teams sign affiliation agreements for 2 or 3 years. In the Orioles case, they have continued to renew those agreements every time it comes up.

Annapolis doesn't have a minor league team currently. For Annapolis to get a team, 1 of 2 things would have to happen: MLB would expand creating the need for the minors to expand. Or, someone would have to buy an existing franchise and try to move it. Then, they would likely need permission from the Orioles and Nats as Annapolis is probably overlapped by the Nats and O's.

Offline wj73

« Reply #63: April 29, 2014, 03:12:35 PM »
Budget issues are stalling construction of the new ballpark in Fredericksburg.  Maybe that's why MILB wanted the Suns to negotiate an extension with Hagerstown just in case something like this happened, and the Suns couldn't move out after this season.

http://news.fredericksburg.com/newsdesk/2014/04/27/stadium-budget-stalling-process/

Offline wj73

« Reply #64: August 14, 2014, 03:40:52 PM »
Delays and more delays in Fredericksburg:

New Fredericksburg ballpark over budget; owners exploring options:  http://ballparkdigest.com/201408147546/minor-league-baseball/news/new-fredericksburg-ballpark-over-budget-owners-exploring-options

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #65: August 15, 2014, 07:30:23 AM »
No news on the P-Nats new stadium either. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #66: August 15, 2014, 09:58:14 AM »
I know that commerce, business, rules here, but I think it is a good notion for the Nats to keep a presence in Maryland, and not just cede the state to the Os (Bowie, Frederick). 

The Gaithersburg Fair Grounds would make a perfect location... :)

Offline Clever

« Reply #67: August 15, 2014, 11:15:58 AM »
can we just steal bowie from the orioles since its in pg county anyway

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #68: August 17, 2014, 03:12:24 PM »
Nats should hang onto Maryland. Bowie and Frederick are left over from the 33 year interregnum. Montgomery County would be great...where did Walter Johnson own a farm? When I was a kid -- in Michigan Park, NE and then PG County -- we despised the Bush League Baltimore Orioles. Frederick is handy because it's just down the road from Harrisburg. Or put the Nats AAA team at RFK. If the closed off the upper deck, RFK holds about 20,000 in the lower bowl. No drastic investment in a new ballpark. In contrast, the Mets AAA team is now in Las Vegas...a long trip to any of the NL East cities.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #69: September 24, 2014, 07:27:59 AM »

Offline wj73

« Reply #70: December 02, 2014, 12:56:33 PM »
Now it's off again.  The negotiations have ended between the Suns and Fredericksburg, and the city is moving to sell the proposed stadium site.

http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/local/fredericksburg/fredericksburg-moving-on-tax-sale-of-stadium-site/article_de63f955-8751-5ed2-8968-46236114692e.html

Offline wj73

« Reply #71: February 13, 2015, 04:59:47 PM »
The Hagerstown mayor now says he has a group of local investors who want to buy the Suns.  So they stay in Hagerstown after all????

http://www.heraldmailmedia.com/news/local/mayor-local-investors-interested-in-buying-suns/article_6a3a5248-e321-506c-acad-29a9a7c482a5.html

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #72: February 13, 2015, 06:13:36 PM »
The Hagerstown mayor now says he has a group of local investors who want to buy the Suns.  So they stay in Hagerstown after all????

http://www.heraldmailmedia.com/news/local/mayor-local-investors-interested-in-buying-suns/article_6a3a5248-e321-506c-acad-29a9a7c482a5.html
I suspect the Nats will find another location for the team unless they can get a deal done soon including a new stadium or upgrade.  They already have the PNats close by and Harrisburg is not that far.

Offline JPC

« Reply #73: February 17, 2015, 10:49:34 PM »
I am really hoping that once Richmond builds a new ballpark in a few years the Nats AA team moves there.  Currently Richmonds ballpark isn't great.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #74: February 17, 2015, 11:08:49 PM »
I am really hoping that once Richmond builds a new ballpark in a few years...

Do you really see that happening?