Author Topic: Hagerstown now looking at Fredericksburg  (Read 12433 times)

Offline Copecwby20

Re: Hagerstown now looking at Fredericksburg
« Reply #25: June 26, 2013, 11:33:40 AM »
Abandoning Maryland seems stupid. I do wish we'd put a team in Richmond.

Is there some reason they wouldn't relocate the Chiefs? Honest question, don't flip out on me. :lol: Seems odd to have a team up there, and it's cold early in the season.

Only so we can keep players like Yunesky Maya and Espi AS FAR AWAY from the big league club as geographically possible.  :mg:

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #26: June 26, 2013, 11:56:31 AM »
Good point.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #27: June 26, 2013, 01:55:12 PM »
Harrisburg has a much better stadium than Richmond.  In a dream scenario, Richmond would lose a AA team ... build a AAA park and we could move there.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #28: June 26, 2013, 04:12:13 PM »
Abandoning Maryland seems stupid. I do wish we'd put a team in Richmond.

Is there some reason they wouldn't relocate the Chiefs? Honest question, don't flip out on me. :lol: Seems odd to have a team up there, and it's cold early in the season.
Pronoun - who do you mean by "they"?

The Washington Nationals/Lerners do not own the Syracuse affiliate. The Washington Nationals have a development agreement with the Chiefs, these agreements are usually for a 2 or 3 year period.

The Chiefs are "Community owned" according to wikipedia. Community owned means that the CHiefs aren't leaving.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syracuse_Chiefs

But in a normal scenario, if the owners wanted to move, then the Chiefs would need to find a city to relocate to - that would build them a stadium, or give them some land. Or the Chiefs could (GAH!) foot the bill themselves.

So, now that they have a city that wants them, they would need approval from MLB (to make sure that they are not in anyone's MLB territory) and approval from the National Association (they oversee the affiliated minor leagues at all levels) to abandon Syracuse and to move to the new location.

To get an idea of how this sometimes works: Up to 2 seasons ago, there was a AA team in Zebulon, NJ - the Carolina Mudcats. Someone got approval to buy the Mudcats franchise and build a stadium in Pensacola, FL. The team remained in the AA Southern League but now plays in Pensacola as the Blue Wahoos. The Single A Carolina League Kinston Indians played in an outdated stadium in Kinston, NC. As part of the Pensacola deal, the National Association moved the Kinston franchise to Zebulon. Now, the Caroliina Mudcats are a Carolina League team.

Offline axman

« Reply #29: June 26, 2013, 06:44:41 PM »
As I understand it, no AAA team can move to Richmond because that's now considered part of the Norfolk Tides' territory.  So goal one should be to get the O's to give up Norfolk (good luck with that.) 

I still hold out hope that the Loudoun Hounds will fail, so that there will be a nice new empty stadium for the Suns to move to.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #30: June 27, 2013, 08:41:49 AM »
As I understand it, no AAA team can move to Richmond because that's now considered part of the Norfolk Tides' territory.  So goal one should be to get the O's to give up Norfolk (good luck with that.) 

I still hold out hope that the Loudoun Hounds will fail, so that there will be a nice new empty stadium for the Suns to move to.
I don't exactly know how AAA and minor league territories work.

But Norfolk and Richmond did co-exist as AAA cities for about 30 years, so, I'm not sure that would be an issue.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #31: June 27, 2013, 02:51:17 PM »

that stadium / area would be absolutely perfect for a minor league team, especially with Potomac moving further southeast.

Offline wj73

« Reply #32: October 02, 2013, 03:38:43 PM »
Hagerstown Suns have officially applied to MiLB to move to Fredericksburg for the 2015 season:  http://news.fredericksburg.com/businessbrowser/2013/10/01/hagerstown-suns-apply-to-relocate-to-fredericksburg/

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #33: October 02, 2013, 09:38:35 PM »
that stadium / area would be absolutely perfect for a minor league team, especially with Potomac moving further southeast.
what do you mean by potomac moving further southeast? new stadium is close to current stadium

Offline axman

« Reply #34: October 03, 2013, 10:02:26 AM »
Loudoun Hounds further delayed--no 2014 season for them in the Atlantic League.  Maybe Hagerstown could move to Ashburn for 2015.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/loudoun-hounds-minor-league-baseball-team-will-not-play-in-atlantic-league-in-2014/2013/10/02/133fabc4-2ba0-11e3-b139-029811dbb57f_story.html

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #35: October 04, 2013, 10:39:28 AM »
what do you mean by potomac moving further southeast? new stadium is close to current stadium

Still, no shovel in dirt for the new P-Nats stadium. 2015 in jeopardy?

Geographically, it is on the opposite side of 95 compared to their current location. So, it is further east - technically.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #36: October 04, 2013, 10:59:16 AM »
technically, yes

have heard anything about the delays but yes they need to get moving to open in 2015

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #37: October 23, 2013, 08:41:34 AM »
The stadium in Fredericksburg is official now.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #38: October 23, 2013, 12:08:45 PM »
On land that was to have been the National Slavery Museum according to what I heard on the radio. 

Because there isn't enough leg-humping bullcrap regarding area sports teams right now. 

The stadium in Fredericksburg is official now.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #39: October 23, 2013, 02:01:43 PM »
http://news.fredericksburg.com/citybeat/2013/10/23/city-stadium-plan-progresses/

Appears the area will be near Central Park (RTE3 exit from 95).    That area is a traffic nightmare.   Then again, where isn't it a traffic nightmare north of Fredericksburg?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #40: October 23, 2013, 02:19:18 PM »
http://news.fredericksburg.com/citybeat/2013/10/23/city-stadium-plan-progresses/

Appears the area will be near Central Park (RTE3 exit from 95).    That area is a traffic nightmare.   Then again, where isn't it a traffic nightmare north of Fredericksburg?

the pfitz is in a pretty light traffic (relatively) area

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #41: October 23, 2013, 02:20:37 PM »
On land that was to have been the National Slavery Museum according to what I heard on the radio. 

Because there isn't enough leg-humping bullcrap regarding area sports teams right now. 

at least old town is building a freeman's cemetery memorial (hanging over the entry to the Wilson bridge counts as old town, right?)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #42: October 23, 2013, 02:31:36 PM »
not a fan of scenic I95?

Been to Fredericksburg/Richmond/The Roads/the beach, etc.  too many times to say I enjoy the view on 95.    :)    I prefer the "back way" when heading south.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #43: October 24, 2013, 10:49:30 AM »
at least old town is building a freeman's cemetery memorial (hanging over the entry to the Wilson bridge counts as old town, right?)
Don't know if it is "Old Town" but it is the City of Alexandria. The Fairfax County part of Alexandria (where I live) starts just south of the beltway when you cross the Cameron Run and Hunting Creek.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #44: October 24, 2013, 01:12:14 PM »
Let's not get too personal here.

... I prefer the "back way" when heading south.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #45: October 24, 2013, 01:45:30 PM »

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #46: October 24, 2013, 02:40:03 PM »
 :spit:

Offline wj73

« Reply #47: February 06, 2014, 02:11:18 PM »
The Suns are requesting a 2 year extension of their lease in Hagerstown through 2016, apparently as a backup should there be construction or other delays in Fredericksburg.  The Suns are offering offering to pay $25,000 per year up front for rent (current rent is $1 a year) plus absorb electrical costs, approximately $28K annually - the City currently absorbs the electrical costs.  The City would also get to skip the $35K in CIP expensed they're currently obligated to pay. 

Fredericksburg's take on it:  http://news.fredericksburg.com/newsdesk/2014/02/05/hagerstown-suns-seek-extension-of-maryland-lease/

Hagerstown's take on it: http://www.heraldmailmedia.com/news/local/hagerstown-suns-ask-for-lease-extension/article_982cbc50-8e10-11e3-a6a1-0017a43b2370.html

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #48: February 06, 2014, 03:09:54 PM »
The Suns are requesting a 2 year extension of their lease in Hagerstown through 2016, apparently as a backup should there be construction or other delays in Fredericksburg.  The Suns are offering offering to pay $25,000 per year up front for rent (current rent is $1 a year) plus absorb electrical costs, approximately $28K annually - the City currently absorbs the electrical costs.  The City would also get to skip the $35K in CIP expensed they're currently obligated to pay. 

Fredericksburg's take on it:  http://news.fredericksburg.com/newsdesk/2014/02/05/hagerstown-suns-seek-extension-of-maryland-lease/

Hagerstown's take on it: http://www.heraldmailmedia.com/news/local/hagerstown-suns-ask-for-lease-extension/article_982cbc50-8e10-11e3-a6a1-0017a43b2370.html

Interesting to note that the article in the Fredericksburg news does not mention ground breaking or any other indication of progress towards a 2015 Opener.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #49: February 06, 2014, 07:54:40 PM »
I hate it when MLB teams piss around with minor league loyalties like the fans in Hagerstown or even those in Viera.
Sickening.