Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Drew Ward, 3b  (Read 18785 times)

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
Re: Follow the Prospects: Drew Ward, 3b
« Reply #25: June 24, 2013, 11:56:57 PM »
So I'm guessing no one news for sure but I wonder if after his first game people just aren't pitching to him. 

Offline RD

« Reply #26: June 25, 2013, 12:01:53 AM »
So I'm guessing no one news for sure but I wonder if after his first game people just aren't pitching to him. 

Can't speak as if I saw him in person, but I doubt that's the case. It's the GCL. Kids want to prove themselves and the coaches want to see their stuff.

Offline RD

« Reply #27: June 26, 2013, 01:17:10 AM »
1-2 today, with 2 more walks.

Offline TigerFan

« Reply #28: June 26, 2013, 01:36:24 AM »
It could just be his eyesight and vision but he must be pitching around, no?

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #29: June 26, 2013, 09:20:40 AM »
Young pitchers having a hard time finding the zone?

Offline RD

« Reply #30: June 27, 2013, 01:00:24 AM »
0-3 with a walk and a steal today.

Still don't buy the pitching around argument. Maybe an AB or two depending on the situation, but not for all of them. Control for the young opponents definitely could play a role.

Offline TigerFan

« Reply #31: June 27, 2013, 08:47:01 AM »
You could be right but if that's the case wouldn't the scores be 12-10 because they'd be walking everybody and just Ward?

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #32: June 27, 2013, 11:07:40 AM »
You could be right but if that's the case wouldn't the scores be 12-10 because they'd be walking everybody and just Ward?

In theory, yes. But keep in mind a lot of hitters in the GCL have very little plate discipline.

Offline RD

« Reply #33: June 27, 2013, 01:06:36 PM »
Also, Ward is the headliner of the team. Its not uncommon for a kid to try and gas up to prove himself. Like I said, I haven't wstched the games so its all sprculstion. But in the GCL, its all about development snd seeing just how good your guys are. You don't learn anything about your young arms if you constantly pitch around a guy. Its not like Ward has 6 home runs in 5 games either. He had a good debut but you don't get 'scared' by one game. He doesn't have a single extra base hit since his debut. Just 1 single.

Offline RD

« Reply #34: June 29, 2013, 01:12:37 AM »
Knew one of these was coming ... 1-5 with 3 K's today.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #35: July 09, 2013, 08:25:14 PM »
Nice game today: 3/5 with 3 Doubles, 2 RBIs, 2 Runs.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #36: July 10, 2013, 11:49:14 AM »
this kid has a chance to be pretty good.  will take some time to develop. 

Offline natasaurus

« Reply #37: July 15, 2013, 06:32:10 PM »
What are the chances that Ward and Gunter change places at some point during this season?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #38: July 19, 2013, 09:55:54 PM »
Ward on fire as of late.

On the season: .329/.453/.471 with 10 Doubles, 0 HRs, 14 RBIs, 15 BBs, 18 Ks.

Offline RD

« Reply #39: July 19, 2013, 11:52:00 PM »
What are the chances that Ward and Gunter change places at some point during this season?

Gunter could possibly play the OF, so it doesn't have to be a switch, if Ward proves worthy of a promotion.

With Ward, he is playing well. Showing a good eye, knocking out some doubles. But Im a big fan of taking your time at the lower levels. Confidence is such a big thing in kids. I prefer to take it slow at the lower levels, then accelerate the pace later on if necessary. So being that just three months ago, he was still in HS, Id keep him in Florida. He's going to have his ups and downs(already has) so might as well keep him where he's at just to let him learn to figure it out. If he gets overmatched(not saying he will at Auburn), it could be tough to pull out of it. Im not against a promotion to Auburn, just that I would continue to let him rake in Florida a little longer. He's likely going to Hagerstown next year anyway, so getting him a little bit of time at Auburn isn't necessarily a huge deal.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #40: July 31, 2013, 02:13:22 PM »
Hit his first HR today. Wouldn't be shocked if he's named the GCL MVP and brought to Hagerstown next year.

Offline blue911

« Reply #41: July 31, 2013, 07:26:57 PM »
Hit his first HR today. Wouldn't be shocked if he's named the GCL MVP and brought to Hagerstown next year.

I think he starts out in the Sally League because it's full season

Offline natasaurus

« Reply #42: July 31, 2013, 08:50:12 PM »
I think he starts out in the Sally League because it's full season

Isn't that Hagerstown?  :|

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #43: August 01, 2013, 12:01:34 AM »
What are chances he ends up in Hagersburg?

Offline RD

« Reply #44: August 01, 2013, 01:43:02 AM »

He could be in MVP discussion but the power would have to come. Wilmer Oberto of the Phillies has more home runs and RBI in less games, along with a higher average. JP Crawford, another Philly has a higher OPS so far with 9 steals so far, in less games.

Do expect to see him in Hagerstown next year though.

Offline natasaurus

« Reply #45: August 09, 2013, 05:46:47 PM »
He's in a 1/18 skid right now and he's hitting .154 so far in August.  He also has also struggled against lefties.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #46: December 08, 2013, 01:41:11 PM »
Nationals' Prospect Drew Ward: 2013 3rd Round Pick's Year In Review

The Washington Nationals selected Oklahoma high schooler Drew Ward in the 3rd Round of this past June's Draft and the just-turned-19-year-old infielder impressed in his first taste of pro action with the Gulf Coast League Nationals this season...

In order to make himself eligible for selection in the 2013 MLB Draft a year earlier than he would have been otherwise, Leedey, Oklahoma-born infielder Drew Ward sped up the process of graduating from high school. "'I've been talking to some scouts and stuff," Ward told NewsOK writers Ed Godfrey, Scott Wright and Jacob Unruh in October of 2012, before correcting himself. "Well, my adviser has. They told me that I'm ready to do that. We kind of discussed it and decided to do it last year."

"He's from a small town, little small town, but he played for a high profile team in summer ball, so we got a lot of looks on him..."
- Roy Clark on Nats' 2013 3rd Rounder Drew Ward

The decision paid off for Ward when the Washington Nationals took the prep school shortstop in the 3rd Round with the 105th overall pick in last June's Draft. "Ward hit .507 (67-for-131) with 9 HR, 39 RBI and 57 BB in 32 games for Leedey (OK) High School," the Nats' press release on the selection noted. "You're talking about potential big-time power," MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo said on MLB.com's Draft broadcast. "Some teams were having a hard time putting an exact figure on that big-time power because you didn't see him against good competition."

The Nationals, however, and now-former Assistant GM Roy Clark liked what they saw from Ward.

"We've been tracking [Ward] since last summer," Clark told reporters after making Ward their second pick of the draft after they took right-hander Jake Johansen 68th overall. "Once we heard that he might be coming out early. We saw him a bunch, and of course we tracked him this year. He's from a small town, little small town, but he played for a high profile team in summer ball, so we got a lot of looks on him, but we knew that he might be coming out early."

Though he played short in high school, the Nationals were clear from the start that they saw the 6'4'', 210 lb, left-handed hitting infielder as a third baseman. "Drew's going to move from short to third base," then-Scouting Director Kris Kline, who's since been promoted to Assistant General Manager and VP of Scouting Operations, told reporters this past June. "And he's got a plus arm, he's got good action. Good hands. He's not a runner, but he's a left-handed bat with a really good advanced approach. And he's got power from the left side, so he definitely profiles as a corner-type player."

The Nationals signed Ward, who had a commitment to Oklahoma University for $850K, way over the recommended bonus for the slot, which was $491,200 according to MLB.com.

Ward, who turned 19 on November 25th, started his pro career in the Gulf Coast League where he played third base for the 39-9 GCL champion Nationals, putting up a .292/.402/.387 line with 13 doubles, one home run, 25 walks and 44 Ks in 49 games and 199 plate appearances. He also put up a .338/.430/.500 line with runners in scoring position.

Currently ranked 20th on MLB.com's list of the Nationals' top prospects, Ward reportedly, "...impressed scouts and opposing managers," who saw him play in the Gulf Coast League according to Baseball America's J.J. Cooper.

"We took three, what we consider, big-time power bats," Roy Clark told reporters last summer in discussing the last Nats' Draft class he had a hand in selecting, "and of course [Ward] is one of them." Ward was projected to go in the 1st Round in 2014 if he hadn't sped up the process to make himself eligible in 2013. Did the Nationals land a gem in the 3rd Round last June?

http://www.federalbaseball.com/2013/12/8/5187962/nationals-prospect-drew-ward-2013-3rd-round-picks-year-in-review

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #47: December 08, 2013, 03:35:33 PM »
That's quite a long post with such little information. This team needs more beat reporters and less aggregators.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #48: December 08, 2013, 03:37:26 PM »
That's quite a long post with such little information. This team needs more beat reporters and less aggregators.

This team needs beat reporters who can actually break news, not just regurgitate quotes and press releases.

But that's something all of the DC sports media needs, not just the Nationals.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #49: March 14, 2014, 01:26:03 PM »
Tweet from Adam Kilgore: Watching a minor league game today. Drew Ward, 18, is monstrous. He's also playing with the Potomac team, which is interesting.