Author Topic: Computer problem= Help Requested.  (Read 24883 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Computer problem= Help Requested.
« Reply #575: March 04, 2021, 07:48:34 AM »
Well, it's time for a new laptop.  I've had this one longer than I've been married.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to look for ?  Or to avoid ?

Apple MacBook Air with the M1 processor and 16GB of ram.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #576: March 04, 2021, 07:53:23 AM »
Apple MacBook Air with the M1 processor and 16GB of ram.
I’ve had a MacBook for seven years. No complaints. Like it more than other laptops I have had.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #577: March 04, 2021, 08:13:55 AM »
I wouldn't go M1 is you're not heavily into the Mac ecosystem. First product year apple owners tend to be willing guinea pigs with the second and third gen owners getting the refined product

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #578: March 04, 2021, 08:15:44 AM »
While all factors like battery life, processing speed, and disk space are to be considered, the #1 factor for me is getting a large screen size, such as 15 or 17"

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #579: March 04, 2021, 08:16:53 AM »
I have to admit I'm only familiar with Windows OS

I wouldn't go M1 is you're not heavily into the Mac ecosystem. First product year apple owners tend to be willing guinea pigs with the second and third gen owners getting the refined product

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #580: March 04, 2021, 08:37:07 AM »
Screw all that. You're probably doing the basic computing that a retired senior does - web browsing and Office. Go to Costco, Sams, or Best Buy and get whatever big screen laptop they have on sale. The technology has progressed so much you won't be able to tell the difference among them. If you spend more than a $1k you've been taken. Also I've bought so many refurbed units over the years and none of them have outright failed me. We have 2 now, a laptop and a desktop. My wife likes a desktop so I got a refurbed HP that's the size of a large paperback. Hook up a keyboard, mouse and monitor and she's a happy camper.  The thing to consider is if you want to make the change to an iPad instead of a laptop. They offer the ease of portability and if you want the feel of a traditional laptop you can get bluetooth keyboard and the works.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #581: March 04, 2021, 08:43:59 AM »
Screw all that. You're probably doing the basic computing that a retired senior does - web browsing and Office. Go to Costco, Sams, or Best Buy and get whatever big screen laptop they have on sale. The technology has progressed so much you won't be able to tell the difference among them. If you spend more than a $1k you've been taken. Also I've bought so many refurbed units over the years and none of them have outright failed me. We have 2 now, a laptop and a desktop. My wife likes a desktop so I got a refurbed HP that's the size of a large paperback. Hook up a keyboard, mouse and monitor and she's a happy camper.  The thing to consider is if you want to make the change to an iPad instead of a laptop. They offer the ease of portability and if you want the feel of a traditional laptop you can get bluetooth keyboard and the works.

DCFan is on point. Macs are indeed nice laptops, but not worth the boutique markup for most folks.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #582: March 04, 2021, 08:47:58 AM »
DCFan is on point. Macs are indeed nice laptops, but not worth the boutique markup for most folks.

I buy them for the build quality (we are branching out into surfaces now). I’ve had so many dells and hps fail within a couple of years that I don’t bother even looking at them anymore

Online imref

« Reply #583: March 04, 2021, 09:03:28 AM »

I've had my M1 MacBook Pro since about December now.  At this point the only issue I've had is that on occasion my external monitor doesn't wake from sleep and so I have to unplug it from the Mac and plug it back in.  I'm loving the 12+ hour battery life and I've had no issues running any apps. They keyboard is vastly superior to the older butterfly keyboards Apple used in the previous MacBook generation.  The only other complaint is that the MBA and MBP base models only include two USB-C ports so I had to purchase a cheap hub.

I recommend the Air over the MBP for most because for about $300 less, you get essentially the same machine. The Pro has a built in fan that allows it to run a bit hotter and a bit faster, and it has 8 usable cores instead of 7, but unless you are doing heavy graphical editing, you won't notice the difference.  I'm buying MBAs now for all my staff.

Online imref

« Reply #584: March 04, 2021, 09:05:06 AM »
While all factors like battery life, processing speed, and disk space are to be considered, the #1 factor for me is getting a large screen size, such as 15 or 17"

in that case, and given you are already in the Windows ecosystem, I wouldn't recommend a Mac. The larger Mac laptops are still running Intel chips and they will be replaced with Apple-native hardware models later this year.

Online imref

« Reply #585: March 04, 2021, 09:06:19 AM »
I buy them for the build quality (we are branching out into surfaces now). I’ve had so many dells and hps fail within a couple of years that I don’t bother even looking at them anymore

My son uses an eight-year-old MacBook Air as his school computer, only complaint is that he can't do Zoom virtual backgrounds.  We usually replace our office Macs after 4 or 5 years of all-day use.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #586: March 04, 2021, 09:09:17 AM »
I do a little more than that in some of the work I'm doing, so speed and disk size to hold datasets are a small factor.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #587: March 04, 2021, 09:35:40 AM »
I do a little more than that in some of the work I'm doing, so speed and disk size to hold datasets are a small factor.

All my advice still stands. The thing you really want to think about is transitioning to an iPad. I'm sure you have one. Could you see doing everything on there instead of a laptop?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #588: March 04, 2021, 10:02:13 AM »
All my advice still stands. The thing you really want to think about is transitioning to an iPad. I'm sure you have one. Could you see doing everything on there instead of a laptop?

You want someone working with data sets to consider an iPad?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #589: March 04, 2021, 10:06:37 AM »

Piece of cake for an iPad.

Online imref

« Reply #590: March 04, 2021, 10:09:12 AM »

it's all ball bearings nowadays anyway.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #591: March 04, 2021, 10:47:21 AM »
it's all ball bearings nowadays anyway.

Expect the almost worthless file system

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #592: March 04, 2021, 11:52:11 AM »
Well, it's time for a new laptop.  I've had this one longer than I've been married.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to look for ?  Or to avoid ?
find one that's into a range of brews and not  just IPAs.

Oh, you were asking about computers.  Never mind.

Online imref

« Reply #593: March 15, 2021, 05:56:22 PM »
Microsoft is having yet another big Azure outage. This one took down Teams and Xbox Live. It has been down since about 4 PM

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #594: March 15, 2021, 09:43:31 PM »

Mac or PC?

Offline Mathguy

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #596: April 04, 2021, 10:26:07 PM »
What Skippy said!

When all else fails reboot!