Author Topic: Computer problem= Help Requested.  (Read 24495 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Computer problem= Help Requested.
« Reply #150: December 15, 2016, 09:16:55 AM »
Shake it like an Etch-A-Sketch and start over.

I already tried.    It was my first option (after I slammed it).    :)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #151: December 15, 2016, 09:24:18 AM »
As a first step, try pulling the power cord from the back, waiting 15 seconds, and plugging it back in. A lot of modern power supplies are designed to start up immediately after a blackout event, and that pretty well simulates one for the computer.

If that doesn't do it, given your general tech level, Geek Squad may be the least horrible option; they don't know much about tech stuff, but they can at least handle that much.

I pulled the power cord.   Plugged it back in and the unit powers up (fan on, CD light flickers, etc.) and it shuts down/off.     Could the front button be stuck in the "off" position not letting the unit power all the way up?

Offline dracnal

« Reply #152: December 15, 2016, 09:35:02 AM »
I pulled the power cord.   Plugged it back in and the unit powers up (fan on, CD light flickers, etc.) and it shuts down/off.     Could the front button be stuck in the "off" position not letting the unit power all the way up?

Nah, sounds like a bad power supply. Relatively cheap to replace, avoid anything with the word 'Green' in its title, and honestly it falls probably second to RAM for easiest computer thing to replace. There are three screws that hold it on in the back of the case and typically five cords inside that are connected (2/3 to the motherboard, one to the hard drive and one to the CD-ROM).  If you aren't comfortable, BB will definitely be able to do it, but this is one where honestly a couple of YouTube videos and a trip to MicroCenter for the part will save you a decent chunk of cash.

If you're -really- nervous about it, I live in Leesburg and am happy to do the swap for you if you can bring it by some evening or on the weekend. It's not a big deal to take care of if you want me to do it.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #153: December 15, 2016, 09:39:02 AM »
Nah, sounds like a bad power supply. Relatively cheap to replace, avoid anything with the word 'Green' in its title, and honestly it falls probably second to RAM for easiest computer thing to replace. There are three screws that hold it on in the back of the case and typically five cords inside that are connected (2/3 to the motherboard, one to the hard drive and one to the CD-ROM).  If you aren't comfortable, BB will definitely be able to do it, but this is one where honestly a couple of YouTube videos and a trip to MicroCenter for the part will save you a decent chunk of cash.

If you're -really- nervous about it, I live in Leesburg and am happy to do the swap for you if you can bring it by some evening or on the weekend. It's not a big deal to take care of if you want me to do it.

I'm not too far from you.   I'll check with the missus and see what she wants to do.    I appreciate the offer and I'll send you a private message through WNFF later today.    Thanks again

Offline dracnal

« Reply #154: December 15, 2016, 09:59:20 AM »
I'm not too far from you.   I'll check with the missus and see what she wants to do.    I appreciate the offer and I'll send you a private message through WNFF later today.    Thanks again

Not a problem. I'm typically home in the evening after 6PM, this Saturday is booked solid after 2PM or so, but Sunday's open if you aren't -too- much of a morning person. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to swap and test.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #155: December 15, 2016, 10:16:37 AM »
Not a problem. I'm typically home in the evening after 6PM, this Saturday is booked solid after 2PM or so, but Sunday's open if you aren't -too- much of a morning person. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to swap and test.

I'm out of the loop on Saturday (coach 3rd grade b'ball team and laying wreaths on vets graves) and Sunday is a Steelers' game (:P).    I watched a Youtube video and it doesn't look too hard (if I can keep it all straight).    I might take the box to the bench upstairs and see what I can see.    If it looks doable, I'll buy a power supply and have at it.   If not, I'll be in touch.     Do you have a favorite place to buy a power supply (BB, Microcenter, etc.)?      Video indicated 650W ought to do the trick.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #156: December 15, 2016, 10:58:07 AM »
I'm out of the loop on Saturday (coach 3rd grade b'ball team and laying wreaths on vets graves) and Sunday is a Steelers' game (:P).    I watched a Youtube video and it doesn't look too hard (if I can keep it all straight).    I might take the box to the bench upstairs and see what I can see.    If it looks doable, I'll buy a power supply and have at it.   If not, I'll be in touch.     Do you have a favorite place to buy a power supply (BB, Microcenter, etc.)?      Video indicated 650W ought to do the trick.

Take a picture of the inside so you can see what needs a cable going from the power source. I worked assembling computers during the summer in high school, it's just plugging in cables - it was a minimum wage job with five minutes of training- nothing difficult

Offline mitlen

« Reply #157: December 15, 2016, 11:09:33 AM »
Take a picture of the inside so you can see what needs a cable going from the power source. I worked assembling computers during the summer in high school, it's just plugging in cables - it was a minimum wage job with five minutes of training- nothing difficult

I just looked in the box and see the connections.    The power supply looks easy to take out.    Now I gotta buy a new one and see what goes where.

Can you recommend where to get a new power supply?    Best Buy?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #158: December 15, 2016, 11:32:04 AM »
There's a place in Gaithersburg that builds computers on-demand. Loads of components. Is there a place like that in Leesburg?

If not, Amazon. There's a billion of them, you can probably match specs, and if you have Prime, get it delivered by Monday. Or pay about $10 more for delivery tomorrow. If you don't have Prime, PM me what you want to order and I'll get it delivered to your address.

Huh. Best Buy has them, at least online.

I just looked in the box and see the connections.    The power supply looks easy to take out.    Now I gotta buy a new one and see what goes where.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #159: December 15, 2016, 12:27:48 PM »

It's got to be easier than taking apart (or putting back together) an M-16.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #160: December 15, 2016, 12:44:27 PM »

It's a very generic part- I'd go with Amazon. Newegg used to be my go to for stuff like that, but it's been years since I shopped for that kind of stuff

Offline mitlen

« Reply #161: December 15, 2016, 01:30:00 PM »
Stopped by Best Buy   ...  they have so many people on the floor and no one can really help you  :smh:.     Maybe I'll hit Micro Center tomorrow or look online.     

Offline mitlen

« Reply #162: December 15, 2016, 02:07:25 PM »
My son built an Antec 300 with a 500W power supply.

Are power supplies interchangeable, i.e. Do I have to buy an Antec powersupply or will any power supply make work?
Will a 450W take care of my needs?   Micro Center has one.    They also have a 750W but I don't need all that.   

Hope the Micro Center folks will talk to me and not try to sell me something I don't need for Christmas.    :)

Offline blue911

« Reply #163: December 15, 2016, 02:16:10 PM »

Are power supplies interchangeable, i.e. Do I have to buy an Antec powersupply or will any power supply make work?
Will a 450W take care of my needs?   Micro Center has one.    They also have a 750W but I don't need all that.   

Hope the Micro Center folks will talk to me and not try to sell me something I don't need for Christmas.    :)

You'll want the heaviest one they make.So when you throw it in a freaking lake it sinks quicker.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #164: December 15, 2016, 02:16:47 PM »
You'll want the heaviest one they make.So when you throw it in a freaking lake it sinks quicker.

I have a cinder block for that.    That and the cement shoes on my son ought to take 'er down pretty quick.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #165: December 15, 2016, 03:20:51 PM »

I'm fairly sure you can get by with a 450. I usually prefer 500 as a floor and 600 as my ideal.  That said, since you're in Eastern Loudoun, check out Affinity Computers. http://affinity-usa.com/

They're pretty reasonable on prices and usually have a decent range of stock. One of my clients gets all their computer stuff and software from them and I've never had a complaint with the stuff they sell. They've also stood by their products and replaced defective stuff out of the box with zero headache or grief. I keep trying to convince my sales guy to use them instead of the craptacular Dell Gold business partnership we've got as Dell routinely undercuts their partners with deals on the front page of their website. Unfortunately, he's stuck in the devil you know mode.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #166: December 15, 2016, 03:31:40 PM »
I'm fairly sure you can get by with a 450. I usually prefer 500 as a floor and 600 as my ideal.  That said, since you're in Eastern Loudoun, check out Affinity Computers. http://affinity-usa.com/

I could probably walk there.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #167: December 15, 2016, 03:32:17 PM »
Wear bright colors.

I could probably walk there.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #168: December 15, 2016, 03:35:56 PM »
Wear bright colors.

I'll drive.    :)      May hit Micro Center and Affinity tomorrow.    Maybe this will be my second career.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #169: December 15, 2016, 04:30:16 PM »
Purely anecdotal but the only power supply that ever blew up on me was an Antec.  The Corsair-branded (built by Seasonic) unit that replaced it is still going strong 8 years in and counting.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #170: December 15, 2016, 04:37:05 PM »
Purely anecdotal but the only power supply that ever blew up on me was an Antec.  The Corsair-branded (built by Seasonic) unit that replaced it is still going strong 8 years in and counting.

The one in my box was a Turbolink (Apevia?).    I'll ask about the Corsair, etc.   

Offline dracnal

« Reply #171: December 15, 2016, 06:14:58 PM »

From what I've seen, the average is five years for most power supplies. Take away a couple years if you've got really, really old and not so high quality wiring (I'm looking at you, shoddy DC apartment buildings), add a bit if you've got great wiring and even more if you vacuum out the inside of the computer every few months, or just blow compressed air through the PSU.

I've had all sorts of brands die on me, but again, that's due to the aforementioned crummy DC wiring. The variance in the +/-5V gave it an actual range of +/-3.3-7.5V. Was VERY hard on equipment and lightbulbs.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #172: December 15, 2016, 06:17:11 PM »
From what I've seen, the average is five years for most power supplies. Take away a couple years if you've got really, really old and not so high quality wiring (I'm looking at you, shoddy DC apartment buildings), add a bit if you've got great wiring and even more if you vacuum out the inside of the computer every few months, or just blow compressed air through the PSU.

That makes me feel better.   I'm at the 4 1/2 year mark.     

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #173: December 15, 2016, 06:31:09 PM »

I've had all sorts of brands die on me, but again, that's due to the aforementioned crummy DC wiring. The variance in the +/-5V gave it an actual range of +/-3.3-7.5V. Was VERY hard on equipment and lightbulbs.

To be fair I never had a power supply for more than 2-3 years until I got older.  Too much upgrading :P  That said I have had extraordinary luck with Corsair-branded units.  Most of my older ones are still running in family email-getters.  And their customer service is incredible.  End of promotion :lol:

(Antec isn't bad either, I just had the one misfortune)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #174: December 16, 2016, 12:46:56 PM »
Pretty much back at the beginning.    Bought a new power supply.   Replaced connections one for one.   Powered on.   Like old supply, the unit acts like it's gonna start.    Lights on the DVD drives shine, fans, etc. start for maybe 5 seconds.    Then it powers off.

I'll try reconnecting one thing at a time starting with the motherboard.    Power it up and see what happens.      Can one of the DVD players/writers be bad causing the entire unit to fail?