Author Topic: Computer problem= Help Requested.  (Read 24498 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Computer problem= Help Requested.
« Reply #125: August 29, 2016, 07:25:36 PM »
I use an old fire hdx for surfing when I'm home- I just wish the hadnt discontinued the small form ones

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #126: August 29, 2016, 08:12:08 PM »
It's the keyboard that keeps me on my Chromebook. I know you can "attach" one to a tablet, but to watch a game with something on your lap, it's hard to beat something that feels like the lightest laptop ever with a battery that lasts 6-8 hours and charges in an hour. Great for traveling, etc.

I had a Netbook in the past but the compacted keyboard... couldn't deal.

Hmmm ... I've been thinking about upgrading my netbook. I was leaning towards a chromebook, but this Fire may make me rethink that.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #127: August 29, 2016, 08:45:55 PM »
It's the keyboard that keeps me on my Chromebook. I know you can "attach" one to a tablet, but to watch a game with something on your lap, it's hard to beat something that feels like the lightest laptop ever with a battery that lasts 6-8 hours and charges in an hour. Great for traveling, etc.

I had a Netbook in the past but the compacted keyboard... couldn't deal.

Most of the time, this is used in bed and I surf the web on my phone. The only thing that appeals to me is that I should be able to find one with a USB port, which means I could maybe run presentations off it. If it has some sort of output. But I doubt they do.

My current netbook struggles to run anything in 720p. I get some lag with VLC. Becoming annoying. Figured that maybe I could upgrade to something made in the last three years . . .

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #128: August 29, 2016, 08:48:33 PM »
My Toshiba Chromebook 2 has HDMI output (also SD reader and two USB 3.0 ports). Is that what you mean ? And it never lags with a good WiFi connection.

Chrome isn't perfect. I have to restart it every two weeks or so.

Most of the time, this is used in bed and I surf the web on my phone. The only thing that appeals to me is that I should be able to find one with a USB port, which means I could maybe run presentations off it. If it has some sort of output. But I doubt they do.

My current netbook struggles to run anything in 720p. I get some lag with VLC. Becoming annoying. Figured that maybe I could upgrade to something made in the last three years . . .

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #129: September 10, 2016, 12:04:10 PM »
Well, time to hook up the new FiOS router.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #130: October 21, 2016, 12:34:02 PM »
Not sure where to put this so I'll put it here.    I had a problem accessing a particular site (business) a while ago.    I can reach all the other sites I visit regularly but this one is "poof" from accessibility.     Could be nothing but:

http://wtop.com/tech/2016/10/us-internet-disrupted-as-key-firm-gets-hit-by-cyberattack/

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #131: October 21, 2016, 03:28:28 PM »
Not sure where to put this so I'll put it here.    I had a problem accessing a particular site (business) a while ago.    I can reach all the other sites I visit regularly but this one is "poof" from accessibility.     Could be nothing but:

http://wtop.com/tech/2016/10/us-internet-disrupted-as-key-firm-gets-hit-by-cyberattack/

Missing your twitter, mitlen? ;)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #132: October 21, 2016, 03:35:51 PM »
Missing your twitter, mitlen? ;)

Hardly.    :)

BTW   The business site I couldn't access is now available  ...   who knows?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #133: October 21, 2016, 05:27:20 PM »
I lost my email, contacts and calendar on my iPhone today. After trying a few things I finally turned it off and back on and they returned.  Wonder if Verizon and or Comcast were hacked?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #134: October 21, 2016, 05:30:36 PM »
I lost my email, contacts and calendar on my iPhone today. After trying a few things I finally turned it off and back on and they returned.  Wonder if Verizon and or Comcast were hacked?

Better turn on my phone to see if it works.    ;)    Lookin' forward to seein' how this all shakes out.    Supposedly a third wave goin' on now.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #135: October 21, 2016, 05:33:03 PM »
Better turn on my phone to see if it works.    ;)    Lookin' forward to seein' how this all shakes out.    Supposedly a third wave goin' on now.
As long as WNFF does not go down we will get through this.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #136: October 21, 2016, 05:33:47 PM »
As long as WNFF does not go down we will get through this.

That's what I'm sayin'.     

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #137: October 21, 2016, 05:39:44 PM »

! No longer available

Offline mitlen

« Reply #138: December 15, 2016, 08:31:07 AM »
Put the PC (tower) to sleep.    Missus came home tried to power up.    Nothing.    It appears there's power but the on/off switch is not working.    Several questions:

1)    Is there a way around the on/off switch to power up from "sleep"?
2)    How hard is it to replace a PC on/off switch?
3)    Call Geek Squad (or some such group)?
4)    Shoot it and buy a new one?     (Which leads to a whole other group of question  ...  transferring files, etc. if it won't power up.)

Thanks

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #139: December 15, 2016, 08:39:27 AM »
Laptop or desktop? If it's a tower is pretty simple - a couple of screws and plugging in some wires - laptop could be a nightmare

Offline mitlen

« Reply #140: December 15, 2016, 08:40:42 AM »
Laptop or desktop? If it's a tower is pretty simple - a couple of screws and plugging in some wires - laptop could be a nightmare

Tower

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #141: December 15, 2016, 08:53:44 AM »
If it's it's the switch in the back, you can buy a new power supply- it's just a matter of taking off the cover, unscrewing and unplugging the old one and putting the new one in. If it's the switch in the front you might have trouble finding something that matches your tower exactly, but you could probably get something close. Neither part failing is really a reason to replace your tower

Offline mitlen

« Reply #142: December 15, 2016, 09:01:54 AM »
If it's it's the switch in the back, you can buy a new power supply- it's just a matter of taking off the cover, unscrewing and unplugging the old one and putting the new one in. If it's the switch in the front you might have trouble finding something that matches your tower exactly, but you could probably get something close. Neither part failing is really a reason to replace your tower

It's the one in front.   We probably "over used" it when putting the tower to sleep and waking it.    I'm not much of a techie (due mostly to attention span and patience).    That's one of the reasons I thought about Geek Squad.     I'll peek at it and see what's goin' on.     My main concern is I don't wanna lose the files I have (though most are backed up and retrievable to 12/1).    I don't do a lot of fancy/deep computer stuff.    Right now, it's the only unit I have faith in for security purposes.   

Offline Natsinpwc

Offline mitlen

« Reply #144: December 15, 2016, 09:03:12 AM »
Trump Tower?

If I get a job in the White House, will I have to get rid of it?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #145: December 15, 2016, 09:04:00 AM »
If I get a job in the White House, will I have to get rid of it?
you can put it in a blind trust. Or Ivanka can manage it for you.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #146: December 15, 2016, 09:05:09 AM »
you can put it in a blind trust. Or Ivanka can manage it for you.

I'll let the missus know.    She's not much of a fan.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #147: December 15, 2016, 09:14:03 AM »
Put the PC (tower) to sleep.    Missus came home tried to power up.    Nothing.    It appears there's power but the on/off switch is not working.    Several questions:

4)    Shoot it and buy a new one?     (Which leads to a whole other group of question  ...  transferring files, etc. if it won't power up.)

Thanks

As a first step, try pulling the power cord from the back, waiting 15 seconds, and plugging it back in. A lot of modern power supplies are designed to start up immediately after a blackout event, and that pretty well simulates one for the computer.

If that doesn't do it, given your general tech level, Geek Squad may be the least horrible option; they don't know much about tech stuff, but they can at least handle that much.

Offline blue911

« Reply #148: December 15, 2016, 09:15:45 AM »

Thanks

Shake it like an Etch-A-Sketch and start over.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #149: December 15, 2016, 09:16:27 AM »

Thanks.    If I'm not back, I blew the tower up.