Author Topic: Computer problem= Help Requested.  (Read 24482 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Computer problem= Help Requested.
« Reply #100: August 11, 2016, 08:59:40 AM »
Not really a problem but I didn't wanna start a new thread.    My laptop (Toshiba) is wearin' out.    I wanna get a new "lap top".    It's how I participate in GDTs and other mundane (e-mail, some googlin',  etc.) tasks.    I do all my budgeting, etc. on the desktop.     Therefore, I don't need some powerful hulkin' (memory, etc.) lap top.    Are there any suggestions on a new model?    The brand doesn't really matter but I was pleased with the Toshiba.    Options, pricin', etc. ideas will be appreciated.   

PS   I have no interest in Apple products at this time.    However, I could be swayed.    :)
I swear by by MacBook. Had always been a PC person before I bought it about two years ago. Before that had a Toshiba. It was ok and lasted a few years. Eliminated the "desktop" a few years ago. You can always get a hard drive for storage.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #101: August 11, 2016, 09:06:44 AM »
Consumer Reports recommends two HP computers

HP  Spectre x2 - 12-a001dx

HP  Pavilion 15-ab220nr

Not really a problem but I didn't wanna start a new thread.    My laptop (Toshiba) is wearin' out.    I wanna get a new "lap top".    It's how I participate in GDTs and other mundane (e-mail, some googlin',  etc.) tasks.    I do all my budgeting, etc. on the desktop.     Therefore, I don't need some powerful hulkin' (memory, etc.) lap top.    Are there any suggestions on a new model?    The brand doesn't really matter but I was pleased with the Toshiba.    Options, pricin', etc. ideas will be appreciated.   

PS   I have no interest in Apple products at this time.    However, I could be swayed.    :)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #102: August 11, 2016, 09:09:19 AM »
I swear by by MacBook. Had always been a PC person before I bought it about two years ago. Before that had a Toshiba. It was ok and lasted a few years. Eliminated the "desktop" a few years ago. You can always get a hard drive for storage.

I don't store data on my lap top at this point.    It's mostly used as a convenience when I don't wanna sit at a desk.   I'll look at a MacBook and see what it's got goin'.    Honestly, I've never tested/used Apple's products.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #103: August 11, 2016, 09:17:11 AM »
I don't store data on my lap top at this point.    It's mostly used as a convenience when I don't wanna sit at a desk.   I'll look at a MacBook and see what it's got goin'.    Honestly, I've never tested/used Apple's products.
They are expensive. I think they have some "liter" versions. It's nice for me as I have an iPhone and also now an Apple TV. So I can "push" anything on my Lap top or phone to the tv and access my music. Of course now they have all these smart TVs so I am behind the tech curve as usual.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #104: August 11, 2016, 09:25:35 AM »
They are expensive. I think they have some "liter" versions. It's nice for me as I have an iPhone and also now an Apple TV. So I can "push" anything on my Lap top or phone to the tv and access my music. Of course now they have all these smart TVs so I am behind the tech curve as usual.

I'm further behind than you.    :)

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #105: August 11, 2016, 09:28:39 AM »
https://www.google.com/chromebook/

Here's a great cheap option, if all you're doing is surfing the net. Also helps that you can store all docs/spreadsheets/etc... "in the cloud," aka your Google account.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #106: August 11, 2016, 09:29:22 AM »

Offline saltydad

« Reply #107: August 16, 2016, 12:51:37 AM »
I have a Toshiba Satellite C55-A with an i3 chip and 700 GB  storage. Love not being chained to a desktop. Not very expensive.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #108: August 16, 2016, 09:48:07 AM »
I will never be a fan of Chromebooks, but you can definitely get 2 in 1s with an i3 for pretty cheap prices these days. Accept that any of them are going to be at an elevated risk for hardware warranty servicing being needed because they're using lighter weight parts with lest testing and balance how long a warranty you get vs. the total cost you want to pay.

ie you may decide to get into the el cheapo zone where it's better to buy a new one than replace the old one. As long as you're using a OneDrive type service, losing the hard drive doesn't really matter so starting fresh isn't nearly as painful as you'd think. Windows 10 does a solid job of making sure settings transfer between devices as well so it is -really- unpainful.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #109: August 16, 2016, 09:54:52 AM »
The only thing I don't like about my Chromebook is the weak functionality surrounding display fonts in the browser. There's less you can to do adjust the size of fonts (important as  you get older). Maybe the newer ones are better.

Otherwise, I use my Chromebook full time. Of course, there's a fairly powerful Windows10 laptop in the house if I need to do something that I can't get done in Chrome, but I can't remember the last time I had to use it - oh yeah, to run software to make an image of a Linux distribution for an older Windows XP laptop, but that was just a lark.)

(I have a 128G SD card plugged in to store some documents locally - it doesn't have to go to Google's cloud).

I will never be a fan of Chromebooks, but you can definitely get 2 in 1s with an i3 for pretty cheap prices these days. Accept that any of them are going to be at an elevated risk for hardware warranty servicing being needed because they're using lighter weight parts with lest testing and balance how long a warranty you get vs. the total cost you want to pay.

ie you may decide to get into the el cheapo zone where it's better to buy a new one than replace the old one. As long as you're using a OneDrive type service, losing the hard drive doesn't really matter so starting fresh isn't nearly as painful as you'd think. Windows 10 does a solid job of making sure settings transfer between devices as well so it is -really- unpainful.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #110: August 16, 2016, 01:26:49 PM »
I just have to figure how much of a pain it will be to migrate from OS X to Windows - my wife loves her surface, and Mac seems to be more intent on making things thinner than keeping up with current hardware - I love my iMac, but I've added years to it by adding more ram, which apple has decided to make impossible on new models

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #111: August 16, 2016, 01:45:08 PM »

Sounds like you need an iPad. http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-ipad/ipad-air-2/16gb-silver-wifi $399

My parents, grandparents all have them and love them for those types of tasks.

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #112: August 16, 2016, 04:58:39 PM »
You can get an entry level Microsoft Surface for around $400. If you can deal with wifi-only (the cellular-enabled ones are more $$) and don't want an iPad (because it's apple), the Surface is a clever little gadget.  The biggest disadvantage Microsoft has in this marketplace is the relative lack of apps when compared to Apple and Android devices but if you're just looking for email and Internet, a robust selection of apps shouldn't matter too much.  Microsoft was going to kill the Surface off about a year ago but had a change of direction and pumped a lot of money back into R&D for the platform, so there's a good supply and at lease 2 more generations of Surface to be released.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #113: August 16, 2016, 05:04:14 PM »
I appreciate all the feedback.   The IPad/Surface style, WiFi only is lookin' good to me.    I have no need for cellular-enabled.    The laptop will seldom leave the living room      I don't even turn the old cell I have now on so cell/connection enabling won't be needed.    :)      I don't envision a need for "more power" or memory.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #114: August 16, 2016, 06:33:14 PM »
I appreciate all the feedback.   The IPad/Surface style, WiFi only is lookin' good to me.    I have no need for cellular-enabled.    The laptop will seldom leave the living room      I don't even turn the old cell I have now on so cell/connection enabling won't be needed.    :)      I don't envision a need for "more power" or memory.

My wife and I each take a 6" Amazon Fire with us when we travel.  Internet surfing and email is all we use it for.  Dirt cheap, and loads so fast it puts other devices to shame.

Here is the latest offering, a 7", for $49.99...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TSUGXKE?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=87294494582&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=400416674597604290&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8zyo32hgqw_e

Offline mitlen

« Reply #115: August 16, 2016, 06:34:42 PM »
My wife and I each take a 6" Amazon Fire with us when we travel.  Internet surfing and email is all we use it for.  Dirt cheap, and loads so fast it puts other devices to shame.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TSUGXKE?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=87294494582&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=400416674597604290&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8zyo32hgqw_e

I would want to upgrade to a larger screen surface.    :old:

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #116: August 29, 2016, 09:55:54 AM »

Can it surf the web? Can it stream video from the web? Can it handle apps like VLC and other video playing apps?

Online Slateman

« Reply #117: August 29, 2016, 09:57:23 AM »
Is it possible to do do a clean install of Windows without the boot CD or even the registration key?

I can't find any of these things. I want to do a completely clean install of Windows 10, which is currently on my gaming PC. But I don't have a copy of windows or the registration key any more.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #118: August 29, 2016, 10:03:44 AM »
Is it possible to do do a clean install of Windows without the boot CD or even the registration key?

I can't find any of these things. I want to do a completely clean install of Windows 10, which is currently on my gaming PC. But I don't have a copy of windows or the registration key any more.

You're going to need a few things, but it's doable. First, BelArc Advisor will get you the key info you need.  Second, you will need to download the Windows 10 ISO from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. Third, you'll need a USB flash drive with at least 4Gb of space that you don't mind erasing or a DVD burner and blank DVD.

If you go the USB route, http://arstechnica.com/business/2009/12/the-usb-flash-drive/ is a pretty solid guide to do it.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #119: August 29, 2016, 10:05:39 AM »
^^^^

That's the way. Installed Windows 7 through USB

Offline dracnal

« Reply #120: August 29, 2016, 10:36:32 AM »
One other important note - for those of you who upgraded Win 7 / 8 / 8.1 to Win 10 and need to do a reinstall, if you have an OEM machine (like a Dell or HP branded box), and you decide to factory reset it because your OS is screwy, it'll roll you back obviously, but since you activated the upgrade prior to the July 29th cutoff, you will be able to download and reinstall Win 10 again with zero problems.

It will activate normally and you'll be good to go. I am not sure if you can go direct to Win 10 using the above method and relying on the on board BIOS OEM key to authenticate, but I'm about 98% sure it'll work (and I'm too lazy to google that atm).

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #121: August 29, 2016, 01:46:41 PM »
Can it surf the web? Can it stream video from the web? Can it handle apps like VLC and other video playing apps?

Yes, Yes, and I have no idea what VLC is...

Offline dracnal

« Reply #122: August 29, 2016, 01:54:44 PM »
Yes, Yes, and I have no idea what VLC is...

VLC is a video protocol. From what I can tell the answer is 'Yes.' There's a highly rated 'VLC for Fire' app on the EU, CA and AU stores, but I don't see it in a search from Google for the US store. Best bet would be for an owner of one to search for 'VLC for Fire' to see if it comes up.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #123: August 29, 2016, 06:06:55 PM »
VLC is just a media player, and they do have an android port with a Kindle Fire download as well.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-android.html

https://www.amazon.com/VLC-Mobile-Team-for-Fire/dp/B00U65KQMQ

Online Slateman

« Reply #124: August 29, 2016, 06:26:24 PM »
Hmmm ... I've been thinking about upgrading my netbook. I was leaning towards a chromebook, but this Fire may make me rethink that.