Author Topic: Computer problem= Help Requested.  (Read 24500 times)

Offline PC

Re: Computer problem= Help Requested.
« Reply #75: February 08, 2016, 09:57:05 PM »
Well, pulling the plug didn't help. I found my Windows 7 product key and will try using that to do a fresh install of 10. I'm worried because it was an OEM copy of 7 from HP and I know sometimes there are issues with that sort of thing too. But I'm at a loss for what else to try.

Any Windows 7 key should work.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #76: February 08, 2016, 10:49:34 PM »
Its still not letting me install. Tells me the drive is "locked." But in the meantime, I've found all my data using the command prompt and I'm using the low-tech but effective method of a USB drive to copy all the documents, tax records, and such to my wife's laptop. Yes, I have almost everything backed up to the NAS, but I'd just as soon copy it all before I do anything that might result in wiping the drive. It feels more secure that way. Anyone know if there's a way to use the command prompt to copy files to a DVD? It'd be faster than the flash drive.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #77: February 09, 2016, 10:12:41 AM »
Well, pulling the plug didn't help. I found my Windows 7 product key and will try using that to do a fresh install of 10. I'm worried because it was an OEM copy of 7 from HP and I know sometimes there are issues with that sort of thing too. But I'm at a loss for what else to try.

Good chance you'll need to reinstall 7 from scratch. Amazed that pulling the plug didn't force it into a boot repair. Quick search suggests it takes 2-3 times of failing like that before going to recovery mode (Win 10 really tries to just work magically and it's painful when it doesn't).

If you insert the win 7 DVD and boot to it, that may let you get to startup repair, which could let you get to restore a recovery point.  That is almost certainly your cleanest and safest way back to operational.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #78: February 12, 2016, 05:51:07 PM »
Well, I'm gonna do a clean install. Picked up a new 3 TB Seagate hard drive for $100 (a 1 TB SSD would have been $280) and a new copy of Windows 7 Professional. Going to yank out both current drives, install the new drive, then install the OS. Obviously that means tons of updates to download, but you know I will be hyper-vigilant against Windows 10 this time.

A friend who used to be the head of IT at my wife's firm told me she's heard of lots of problems going directly from 7 to 10 and that going from 8.1 to 10 works much better. But I have no desire to put 8.1 on my desktop PC.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #79: February 13, 2016, 12:39:50 PM »
Success! So far, anyway. Drive installed and partitioned, Windows 7 running, hardware drivers installed, and now begins the long process of software updates and reinstalling or repurchasing applications. Thanks again for the feedback, even if ultimately nothing worked. On the other forum where I sought help I got a bunch of useless comments about "this is why I won't upgrade" and the like.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #80: February 13, 2016, 06:54:16 PM »
Let me tell you about my Mac... :whistle:

Success! So far, anyway. Drive installed and partitioned, Windows 7 running, hardware drivers installed, and now begins the long process of software updates and reinstalling or repurchasing applications. Thanks again for the feedback, even if ultimately nothing worked. On the other forum where I sought help I got a bunch of useless comments about "this is why I won't upgrade" and the like.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #81: February 13, 2016, 08:52:15 PM »
Let me tell you about my Mac... :whistle:

As I noted earlier, if I had to buy a new one, it'd be a Mac, but I really wanted to avoid spending that much money right now.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #82: February 14, 2016, 11:09:06 AM »
As I noted earlier, if I had to buy a new one, it'd be a Mac, but I really wanted to avoid spending that much money right now.

I was just trying to be that useless voice that you said populated the other forums.  We have a Windows 10 - born windows 8 - laptop, and I use a Chromebook day-to-day.

The 8-to-10 upgrade was not without difficulty.  And because the computer has only (only!) 8G of RAM, it's much slower now. There are bloggers advising that you not upgrade to 10 without a minimum of 12G.

Offline PC

« Reply #83: February 14, 2016, 11:42:02 AM »
A friend who used to be the head of IT at my wife's firm told me she's heard of lots of problems going directly from 7 to 10 and that going from 8.1 to 10 works much better. But I have no desire to put 8.1 on my desktop PC.

You should. 8.1 is very good. Not as good as 10 but better than 7.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #84: February 14, 2016, 09:26:31 PM »
You should. 8.1 is very good. Not as good as 10 but better than 7.

My wife's laptop has 8.1. We both dislike it, even with the Classic Shell accessory. In particular, I hate the way it  changed the process for importing photos.

Offline PC

« Reply #85: February 18, 2016, 07:55:56 PM »
For the "Mac just works" crowd, watch about the first 18 minutes of this podcast from earlier this week.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #86: February 19, 2016, 09:50:50 AM »
For the "Mac just works" crowd, watch about the first 18 minutes of this podcast from earlier this week.

i've been a Mac user since about 2000 and have few complaints.  What podcast?

Offline PC

« Reply #87: February 19, 2016, 02:32:53 PM »
i've been a Mac user since about 2000 and have few complaints.  What podcast?

Oops!   Forgot the link.

https://twit.tv/shows/macbreak-weekly/episodes/494?autostart=false

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #88: March 10, 2016, 03:42:03 PM »
Went golfing today.    Got home and the missus tells me 10 started on its own.    I tried to find out if she started it   ...   nope.    It completed install and I'm now using it.    Have not had a problem.   Only reason I didn't do the install before was because of the horror stories.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #89: March 10, 2016, 04:59:51 PM »
Went golfing today.    Got home and the missus tells me 10 started on its own.    I tried to find out if she started it   ...   nope.    It completed install and I'm now using it.    Have not had a problem.   Only reason I didn't do the install before was because of the horror stories.
My issue is it may be incompatible with our work security systems for remote operations.  Believe it or not, I kind of want to be able to log in and read emails.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #90: March 10, 2016, 05:03:38 PM »
My issue is it may be incompatible with our work security systems for remote operations.  Believe it or not, I kind of want to be able to log in and read emails.

We don't have a lot of deep stuff on our system.   I'm sure 10 looked at our set up and said, "No problem."

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #91: March 10, 2016, 05:58:18 PM »

Should be a two second call to figure it out, would probably end up as a multi hour ordeal

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #92: March 10, 2016, 09:27:31 PM »
Should be a two second call to figure it out, would probably end up as a multi hour ordeal
I asked the question about 4 months ago, and was told to wait until work's security folks clear windows 10 for compatibility.

Offline PC

« Reply #93: March 11, 2016, 07:34:34 AM »

Setup the start menu and taskbar, the way you want.  You're going to love it!!!

So many people keep them in the default state and then wonder why they don't like it.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #94: March 11, 2016, 08:04:37 AM »
Setup the start menu and taskbar, the way you want.  You're going to love it!!!

So many people keep them in the default state and then wonder why they don't like it.

I'm "retired" so I have time to work with 10.   As I mentioned to JCA, we don't use the PC for business and our security is rudimentary  ...   not a lot of levels to navigate.     Thanks for the heads up.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #95: March 11, 2016, 09:25:45 AM »
I asked the question about 4 months ago, and was told to wait until work's security folks clear windows 10 for compatibility.

You've got two options there: ancient insfrastructure or a hyper cautious IT head.

The standard it uses equals or exceeds anything in place since Win 7 + Server 2008. So you might have a server 2003/XP compatible backend, which means you aren't using encryption worth noting, or you have an IT dept that would rather go with glacial response to change until it's forced on them by market reality - ie a VP buys a Windows 10 tablet and says 'make it talk to work for me.'

FWIW, our company uses the second approach for my marching orders.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #96: March 11, 2016, 09:26:29 AM »
It's later than you think. ;)

I'm "retired" so I have time to work with 10.   As I mentioned to JCA, we don't use the PC for business and our security is rudimentary  ...   not a lot of levels to navigate.     Thanks for the heads up.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #97: March 11, 2016, 10:58:24 AM »
It's later than you think. ;)

My BiL has a saying (probably stole it), "A year from now, you'll wish you started today."

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #98: March 11, 2016, 11:11:21 AM »
That bastard. He stole it from me.

My BiL has a saying (probably stole it), "A year from now, you'll wish you started today."

Offline mitlen

« Reply #99: August 11, 2016, 08:48:56 AM »
Not really a problem but I didn't wanna start a new thread.    My laptop (Toshiba) is wearin' out.    I wanna get a new "lap top".    It's how I participate in GDTs and other mundane (e-mail, some googlin',  etc.) tasks.    I do all my budgeting, etc. on the desktop.     Therefore, I don't need some powerful hulkin' (memory, etc.) lap top.    Are there any suggestions on a new model?    The brand doesn't really matter but I was pleased with the Toshiba.    Options, pricin', etc. ideas will be appreciated.   

PS   I have no interest in Apple products at this time.    However, I could be swayed.    :)