Author Topic: Computer problem= Help Requested.  (Read 24473 times)

Offline PC

Re: Computer problem= Help Requested.
« Reply #50: February 07, 2016, 04:52:57 PM »
Yeah, it completed the upgrade, asked me about all its Big Brother crap (all of which I turned off), then went to the desktop and told me to reboot. I did that and now it's repeatedly at the screen seen above.

I'm typing this on my iPad while I use my wife's laptop to try to create recovery media on a USB drive so maybe I can boot from that into Safe Mode. Hopefully I get it done soon enough because I was planning to watch the Super Bowl!

What recovery media are you trying to create.

Offline PC

« Reply #51: February 07, 2016, 04:53:33 PM »
Not really, if your computer isn't compatible with the upgrade, Apple won't let you try. The plus side of them making a limited number of configurations is that they know which ones an upgrade will support

Oh, they do go wrong.  I've seen bad OSX upgrades.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #52: February 07, 2016, 05:04:37 PM »
Hell, I use a Chrombook for almost everything... The only thing we really need a Window machine for is TurboTax. But I need a weak office suite, email, and a web browser. :shrug:
Every year I say I will buy Turbo Tax and then don't do it. Just use my own spreadsheets and read through the instructions.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #53: February 07, 2016, 05:05:11 PM »
Oh, they do go wrong.  I've seen bad OSX upgrades.
I am sure they do but anecdotally seems not as much.

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #54: February 07, 2016, 05:11:00 PM »
What recovery media are you trying to create.

USB recovery disk using the Media Creation Tool. If I can get it working, I'll see whether I can then revert to real Windows. From the few moments I saw of Windows 10, the childish interface reminded me of Windows 8.1, which my wife's laptop has and which we both despise.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #55: February 07, 2016, 07:28:29 PM »
Freaking Windows 7 forced the Windows 10 upgrade. I went to install Windows updates and didn't know the Windows 10 box was checked on the optional upgrades screen. So it installed and then rebooted itself and now I get that blue screen at the start of the boot process. That means I don't have the recovery disk either since I never got the chance to create one. I just found something online suggesting I may have to use my wife's laptop to create recovery media and then boot from that.

Tell you what, I'm done with the PC world after this one. I've always resisted the idea of an Apple computer in part because of the cost and in part because of the cultish attitude, but you know, my other Apple products just WORK.

Thank God I did a data backup to NAS last week.
Can you use System Restore to restore your computer back to a Windows 7 era?
 :punch:    :popcorn:
I don't allow automatic Windows updates. I do them manually, so I can have a periodic System Restore date to go back to from problems that sometimes arise. I don't want all their useless crap anyway.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #56: February 07, 2016, 07:47:22 PM »

I like Windows 10, with a classic shell, just fine...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #57: February 07, 2016, 07:56:10 PM »
My fear is what you're going through.     

I have 7 and am prompted all the time to start 10.    I've heard ugly stories about comparability problems.

Well you may find that you need to install drivers for devices and what not.  My mom upgraded and then her wireless Linksys thing wouldn't work.   My son had to load the drivers to a thumb drive and load them to her PC to make the pain stop.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #58: February 07, 2016, 08:00:43 PM »
Well you may find that you need to install drivers for devices and what not.  My mom upgraded and then her wireless Linksys thing wouldn't work.   My son had to load the drivers to a thumb drive and load them to her PC to make the pain stop.

I don't do wireless.    :)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #59: February 07, 2016, 08:07:56 PM »
I don't do wireless.    :)

Huh?  I love having my laptop to talk to WNFF no matter where I sit.  What's your setup?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #60: February 07, 2016, 08:09:41 PM »
Huh?  I love having my laptop to talk to WNFF no matter where I sit.  What's your setup?

Phone?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #61: February 07, 2016, 08:13:56 PM »

My laptop is wireless but I only use it for WNFF.    My PC and all the peripherals are wired.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #62: February 07, 2016, 08:15:38 PM »
My laptop is wireless but I only use it for WNFF.    My PC and all the peripherals are wired.

Gotcha.  We had to replace our printer / scanner a couple of years ago so it's wireless, we can print or scan to or from it from any device in the house.  In fact, our hard drive failed on our "main" wired computer and we've never replaced it, each of us has a laptop and we just don't really need it.

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #63: February 08, 2016, 11:16:35 AM »
Had an idea this morning and I wonder if this would make sense to solve my problem described above. Would it be realistic to get a new copy of Windows (7 or 10) via retail and also get an SSD, install the SSD as the boot drive and put the new Windows on it, and then make the existing boot drive a slave partition so I'd still have access to my data and software?

Is there any reason why that wouldn't work? I might have to move my existing second hard drive to some kind of external rig because I think I don't have a free drive bay, but that's still less expensive than replacing the PC.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #64: February 08, 2016, 11:28:13 AM »
Had an idea this morning and I wonder if this would make sense to solve my problem described above. Would it be realistic to get a new copy of Windows (7 or 10) via retail and also get an SSD, install the SSD as the boot drive and put the new Windows on it, and then make the existing boot drive a slave partition so I'd still have access to my data and software?

Is there any reason why that wouldn't work? I might have to move my existing second hard drive to some kind of external rig because I think I don't have a free drive bay, but that's still less expensive than replacing the PC.
Did you try System Restore to restore your computer back to a Windows 7 era? You can choose an earlier date than the last Restore date offered. If you know when it last worked with Windows 7, choose that date. That's the main reason to ever use System Restore; to undo improper changes to your system, or infections by a virus.

Any changes to your documents and spreadsheets, etc. are not affected by System Restore.
 :punch:    :popcorn:

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #65: February 08, 2016, 11:32:39 AM »
I'm going to try that tonight IF I can boot far enough to try it. That's the big problem: It's stuck in an endless loop when I try to boot. It gets to that screen I pasted in before and then it restarts only to do the same thing again ad nauseam.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #66: February 08, 2016, 11:43:28 AM »
Almost anyone else on here might know how to stop the boot problem. I don't know if this would help:
 :(
How to Boot into Safe Mode in
•From the metro UI select Desktop.
•Press the Windows key plus R in your keyboard.
•In the Run box, enter “msconfig” (without quotes).
•Select the “Boot” tab.
•In the “Boot options” section, check “Safe boot.” Also, make sure the radio button “Minimal” is selected.
•Click “OK’
•Restart the computer boot into save mode.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #67: February 08, 2016, 11:47:55 AM »
you've probably already tried it, but pressing f8 during the boot might get you some options

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #68: February 08, 2016, 11:53:13 AM »
F8 didn't work, unfortunately.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #69: February 08, 2016, 11:59:30 AM »
desktop or laptop?

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #70: February 08, 2016, 12:00:08 PM »
Desktop. I think I bought it in 2012.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #71: February 08, 2016, 12:03:12 PM »
you can always do the nuclear option and just swap out the hard drive and start over with a fresh install

Offline dracnal

« Reply #72: February 08, 2016, 12:27:24 PM »
Desktop. I think I bought it in 2012.

To answer your SSD question, yes that would work with the drive as a slave.

To get it to let you go to system diags, I would recommend doing a hard power shut off while it's loading. At some point after the windows logo shows up but before it crashes, pull the power cord (or hold the power button for five seconds, but win 10 is a pretty fast boot).

The next time it comes up you should be given a choice to go to startup repair. That'd be where you want to go and then you want to do a refresh I believe. PC correct me on that one, or do a quick internet search to see if it is refresh rather than restore. One reloads basic settings  and doesn't touch data. The other keeps data, but effectively uninstalls all your programs. (technically they are still installed, but the registry settings are gone).

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #73: February 08, 2016, 01:54:54 PM »
Thanks for that. I thought there had to be some way to get the boot menu for Safe Mode and the like but I haven't been able to do it. I'll try the pull-the-plug trick tonight. Thanks.

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #74: February 08, 2016, 09:28:41 PM »
Well, pulling the plug didn't help. I found my Windows 7 product key and will try using that to do a fresh install of 10. I'm worried because it was an OEM copy of 7 from HP and I know sometimes there are issues with that sort of thing too. But I'm at a loss for what else to try.