Author Topic: Computer problem= Help Requested.  (Read 24475 times)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Re: Computer problem= Help Requested.
« Reply #25: June 08, 2015, 05:15:43 PM »
:phew: Nathan's here, you're in good hands Mitlen :)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #26: June 08, 2015, 05:23:48 PM »
So the old monitor was connected via DVI and the new one is I'm guessing HDMI?

Have you tried plugging in the new monitor and then rebooting?

I did the rebooting, etc.    While I rebooted the PC a second time with the monitor from upstairs, it started working again.    The messages of resolution problems went away.     Still nothing (image) on the original monitor.

The problem with the older monitor is it sucks.    :)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #27: June 08, 2015, 05:24:45 PM »
:lmao:  Don't you leave us, Mitlen!! You do whatever it takes, get the Geek Squad out there! Or even better, get a smart phone, you don't actually have to talk to anyone but then you'll always have your WNFF peeps with ya :thumbs:  :lol:

I have a call into my tech guy but the POS hasn't called me back.    It's my son in Richmond.   :)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #28: June 08, 2015, 05:53:13 PM »
I have a call into my tech guy but the POS hasn't called me back.    It's my son in Richmond.   :)

:crackup: send him texts threatening to hunt him down, works on my son when he's ignoring me lol

Offline mitlen

« Reply #29: June 08, 2015, 05:57:07 PM »
:crackup: send him texts threatening to hunt him down, works on my son when he's ignoring me lol

I know where he lives and he KNOWS I'll hunt him down.   I don't threaten.    :old:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #30: August 07, 2015, 10:33:20 AM »
I can't access WNFF on my PC.   No matter the browser (Explorer, Google, Mozilla, etc.), I get "not available" or time out.    On the laptop, I use Mozilla Firefox and can access the site but my connectivity is spotty at times.   Sometime to post a 'reply', I have to X out and log back in.    I also get "clocked out" regularly.    I've rebooted the PC and the router.   Not sure what else to do.

All other sites (WTOP, Post, ESPN, etc.) are accessible  ..  no problems/delays, etc.     And no, I haven't visited pictures sites on the PC.    :)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #31: August 07, 2015, 10:38:35 AM »
SO weird!!! One of you smart techie geeks need to get Mitlen fixed pronto!!

Offline dracnal

« Reply #32: August 07, 2015, 10:39:40 AM »
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Download it from Piriform itself rather than FileHippo or some other place that likes to put up confusing download links. Install, close all browsers, run the cleaner with default settings.

Not a cureall, but if it's a bad cookie or remnant of some temp file/java/flash junk, it'll get rid of it.  Should speed up your system experience overall as well.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #33: August 09, 2015, 08:23:12 AM »
Got home from the game last night.   Posted the victory post and there was no connectivity problem with the laptop.    Hmmmmm?     Got up this morning and figured I'd try the PC to access WNFF.     Straight to the site.    No clock out  ...   no site unavailable  ....   none of that  ...  no problem.      Hmmmmm?

"Strange days indeed -- most peculiar ...""    John Lennon

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #34: August 09, 2015, 09:12:34 AM »
Got home from the game last night.   Posted the victory post and there was no connectivity problem.    Hmmmmm?     Got up this morning and figured I'd try the PC to access WNFF.     Straight to the site.    No clock out  ...   no site unavailable  ....   none of that  ...  no problem.      Hmmmmm?

Gremlins went away.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #35: August 09, 2015, 10:44:25 AM »
I noticed over the last couple days that I would occasionally get a non-response from WNFF.
Got home from the game last night.   Posted the victory post and there was no connectivity problem with the laptop.    Hmmmmm?     Got up this morning and figured I'd try the PC to access WNFF.     Straight to the site.    No clock out  ...   no site unavailable  ....   none of that  ...  no problem.      Hmmmmm?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #36: August 09, 2015, 10:45:17 AM »
Gremlins went away.

Stras is back.    :)

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #37: February 07, 2016, 02:24:12 PM »
Thread bumped to ask if anyone knows how to get Windows 10 to get past this. I do not have a recovery disk.

Offline PC

« Reply #38: February 07, 2016, 04:10:32 PM »
Thread bumped to ask if anyone knows how to get Windows 10 to get past this. I do not have a recovery disk.

(Image removed from quote.)

When does it happen?  What are you doing when it happens?  Does it happen all the time?

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #39: February 07, 2016, 04:13:54 PM »
When does it happen?  What are you doing when it happens?  Does it happen all the time?

freaking Windows 7 forced the Windows 10 upgrade. I went to install Windows updates and didn't know the Windows 10 box was checked on the optional upgrades screen. So it installed and then rebooted itself and now I get that blue screen at the start of the boot process. That means I don't have the recovery disk either since I never got the chance to create one. I just found something online suggesting I may have to use my wife's laptop to create recovery media and then boot from that.

Tell you what, I'm done with the PC world after this one. I've always resisted the idea of an Apple computer in part because of the cost and in part because of the cultish attitude, but you know, my other Apple products just WORK.

Thank God I did a data backup to NAS last week.

Offline PC

« Reply #40: February 07, 2016, 04:17:48 PM »
Before you go over to the Dark Side, let's try to work through this.  Do you get into Windows 10, at all?  If not, have you ever gotten into Windows 10, ie was the upgrade successfully completed?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #41: February 07, 2016, 04:17:53 PM »
freaking Windows 7 forced the Windows 10 upgrade. I went to install Windows updates and didn't know the Windows 10 box was checked on the optional upgrades screen. So it installed and then rebooted itself and now I get that blue screen at the start of the boot process. That means I don't have the recovery disk either since I never got the chance to create one. I just found something online suggesting I may have to use my wife's laptop to create recovery media and then boot from that.

Tell you what, I'm done with the PC world after this one. I've always resisted the idea of an Apple computer in part because of the cost and in part because of the cultish attitude, but you know, my other Apple products just WORK.

Thank God I did a data backup to NAS last week.

My fear is what you're going through.     

I have 7 and am prompted all the time to start 10.    I've heard ugly stories about comparability problems.

Offline PC

« Reply #42: February 07, 2016, 04:23:36 PM »
And, one more thing, since you mentioned it.  It's utter BS that Apple "just works".  OSX upgrades are easier because there's a limited amount of hardware they're upgrading from but even under those conditions operating systems upgrades from Apple do go wrong.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #43: February 07, 2016, 04:34:04 PM »
And, one more thing, since you mentioned it.  It's utter BS that Apple "just works".  OSX upgrades are easier because there's a limited amount of hardware they're upgrading from but even under those conditions operating systems upgrades from Apple do go wrong.

Not really, if your computer isn't compatible with the upgrade, Apple won't let you try. The plus side of them making a limited number of configurations is that they know which ones an upgrade will support

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #44: February 07, 2016, 04:36:30 PM »
We upgraded one computer from 7 to 10. It seemed like a nightmare. Bookmarks, email, data lost.

Two days later it all showed up again.  :shock:

The computer is slow as hell now. If you got less than 12G of memory, I wouldn't do it.

My fear is what you're going through.     

I have 7 and am prompted all the time to start 10.    I've heard ugly stories about comparability problems.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #45: February 07, 2016, 04:36:52 PM »
Before you go over to the Dark Side, let's try to work through this.  Do you get into Windows 10, at all?  If not, have you ever gotten into Windows 10, ie was the upgrade successfully completed?

Yeah, it completed the upgrade, asked me about all its Big Brother crap (all of which I turned off), then went to the desktop and told me to reboot. I did that and now it's repeatedly at the screen seen above.

I'm typing this on my iPad while I use my wife's laptop to try to create recovery media on a USB drive so maybe I can boot from that into Safe Mode. Hopefully I get it done soon enough because I was planning to watch the Super Bowl!

Offline mitlen

« Reply #46: February 07, 2016, 04:38:29 PM »
We upgraded one computer from 7 to 10. It seemed like a nightmare. Bookmarks, email, data lost.

Two days later it all showed up again.  :shock:

The computer is slow as hell now. If you got less than 12G of memory, I wouldn't do it.

Plus, I don't do anything fancy.    Hell, it took me forever to go from 98 to 7  ....   even after they quit supporting 98.   :)     I back up my genealogy/budget/pictures and such.   I can get into my IRA stuff, WNFF, etc. from any computer system.     :old:   

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #47: February 07, 2016, 04:40:11 PM »
Not really, if your computer isn't compatible with the upgrade, Apple won't let you try. The plus side of them making a limited number of configurations is that they know which ones an upgrade will support
I have windowless for last year and a half after getting my macbook. Don't miss it at all.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #48: February 07, 2016, 04:41:38 PM »
Hell, I use a Chrombook for almost everything... The only thing we really need a Window machine for is TurboTax. But I need a weak office suite, email, and a web browser. :shrug:

I have windowless for last year and a half after getting my macbook. Don't miss it at all.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #49: February 07, 2016, 04:48:46 PM »
my late 2009 imac is still on the current OS and going strong. I'' be sad when I have to replace it with the current generation of soldered ram imacs