Author Topic: Computer problem= Help Requested.  (Read 17074 times)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Re: Computer problem= Help Requested.
« Reply #525: October 28, 2019, 08:45:41 PM »
Does anyone know what is going on with Microsoft Explorer not being supported on many websites in the near future ?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #526: October 28, 2019, 09:03:41 PM »
It’s a terrible outdated browser- with edge, even Microsoft is giving up on it

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #527: October 28, 2019, 09:09:23 PM »
Thx - I've picked up on the out of date.  But what are other browsers doing that make the difference ?

It’s a terrible outdated browser- with edge, even Microsoft is giving up on it

Offline dracnal

« Reply #528: October 29, 2019, 12:05:09 AM »
Thx - I've picked up on the out of date.  But what are other browsers doing that make the difference ?

Getting security updates. IE 11 is no longer able to use the more secure protocols that are becoming the standard. I'd recommend Firefox generally. A lot of people like Chrome, but i find it has a really bad habit of eating a lot of idle resources in order to maintain its claim that it loads pages faster. Speculatively loading every link will indeed make it faster, but it means you can end up with 16 instances of Chrome running while looking at one page. Still, it's far more reliable and useful than Edge.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #529: November 04, 2019, 02:22:28 AM »
One thing I like about Microsoft Explorer is in Control Panel, under Internet Options one can setup multiple tabs so when the Internet opens, one starts off at multiple websites.  Is there a way to do that in Edge, Chrome, or Firefox ?

Offline dracnal

« Reply #530: November 04, 2019, 09:19:55 AM »
One thing I like about Microsoft Explorer is in Control Panel, under Internet Options one can setup multiple tabs so when the Internet opens, one starts off at multiple websites.  Is there a way to do that in Edge, Chrome, or Firefox ?

Yep - in Firefox, click the three horizontal bar icon in the top right, click settings. In the new menu, click on 'Home' on the leftside navigation menu and set 'Homepage and new windows' to Custom URLs.

In Chrome, click the three dots icon in the top right, click settings, and scroll down to the 'On Startup' section. In the bottom of that section you can set the pages to open at start up.

With Edge, I actually don't know because it's really not that great a browser in my opinion. The only time I'll use it is if I'm trying something on a Microsoft site that isn't working in another browser (setting up training for coworkers, getting licenses for software, etc.). If you really want to give it a shot, a google search for 'load custom URLs edge launch,' will probably get you the info.

Online imref

• Redemption
« Reply #531: January 14, 2020, 01:55:22 PM »
For those of you running Windows, be sure to install the patches that came out today ASAP.  This is for all versions of Windows.  Microsoft fixed a critical vulnerability that allows hackers to forge digital signatures (meaning that apps/files would appear as safe even though they could contain malware).

Here's the background:
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/14/microsoft-to-patch-windows-10-after-nsa-finds-vulnerability.html

Also, Microsoft has ended support for Win7

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #532: January 15, 2020, 07:04:26 AM »

Also, Microsoft has ended support for Win7

How the freak am I supposed to play MVP 05 then?

Offline dracnal

« Reply #533: January 15, 2020, 09:19:14 AM »
How the freak am I supposed to play MVP 05 then?

Doesn't mean Win 7 won't work. It just means they won't patch any new security holes found unless they are -incredibly- dangerous.

Offline bluestreak

« Reply #534: January 15, 2020, 09:32:10 AM »
I saw a computer running XP a few weeks ago. 

Online imref

• Redemption
« Reply #535: January 15, 2020, 10:23:36 AM »
I saw a computer running XP a few weeks ago. 

there are a lot of computers still running XP.  And around 30-40% of Windows computers are still running 7 last time I checked.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #536: January 15, 2020, 11:31:00 AM »
there are a ton of ATMs still running XP

Offline dracnal

« Reply #537: January 15, 2020, 03:03:52 PM »
there are a ton of ATMs still running XP

Hell, I had to deal with a Win 98 machine about six months ago. In production use at an office. Some people -really- don't want to update their custom databases.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #538: January 15, 2020, 06:04:48 PM »
The FAA air traffic control system used vacuum tube technology up until the late 1990s.  If it's not broke don't fix it.

Offline bluestreak

« Reply #539: January 15, 2020, 08:36:10 PM »
The FAA air traffic control system used vacuum tube technology up until the late 1990s.  If it's not broke don't fix it.

Every hospital I’ve ever worked at has used vacuum tubes to transport specimens. Currently.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #540: January 15, 2020, 08:48:51 PM »
Every hospital I’ve ever worked at has used vacuum tubes to transport specimens. Currently.
That's not the same thing . . .

The National Archives still has microfilm readers and old record players. Also, they still haven't figured out exactly how they want to receiver electronic documents for storage, so you have to print off and ascend everything on paper. Everything.

Online imref

• Redemption
« Reply #542: January 29, 2020, 10:19:45 AM »