Author Topic: Computer problem= Help Requested.  (Read 25006 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Computer problem= Help Requested.
« Reply #500: September 30, 2019, 01:43:17 PM »
Thanks.  One of the things the hp virtual assistant had me do was clear the spooler.  Maybe I needed to reboot the computer, too. I'll see if I'm still having problems when I get home.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #501: September 30, 2019, 01:56:57 PM »
Thanks.  One of the things the hp virtual assistant had me do was clear the spooler.  Maybe I needed to reboot the computer, too. I'll see if I'm still having problems when I get home.

Unplug it and then plug it back in after 20 seconds.  That's the advise I always get from support...

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #502: September 30, 2019, 01:59:36 PM »

I've had issues with HP wireless printers in the past in that they become invisible on the network.  The solution was to assign them a static IP address.  It takes a bit of knowledge of how to configure your home router, and how to configure the printer.  Alternatively, you can use an old fashioned cable to connect it to a desktop computer (if you have one) and then share it via the computer to other devices on your network.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #503: September 30, 2019, 03:37:49 PM »
Unplug it and then plug it back in after 20 seconds.  That's the advise I always get from support...

Instructions for your CPAP machine do not apply across all technologies, VaRK.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #504: September 30, 2019, 04:56:22 PM »
Instructions for your CPAP machine do not apply across all technologies, VaRK.

I read that as CRAP.  Not sure which is funnier...  ;)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #505: October 15, 2019, 12:34:08 PM »
Have to breakout the old laptop for this question:

When I go to bed, I usually set the PC to "sleep" mode.    On occasion, it'll take a few seconds to "sleep" or may even "restart" to check itself out/add things.     Last night, the PC went into an "Automatic Repair" mode and it won't restart.    I've tried just about everything I can think of ...  restart, system reset, power off/on, start-up repair, etc. and nothing works.    It keeps going back to "Problem resetting PC" or "start up repair" doesn't work.

Any ideas and/or a good "repair" shop in E. Loudoun who can look at this mess?     There's a reason I don't use this laptop.    :)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #506: October 15, 2019, 01:24:22 PM »
Had a weird one today. My printer is an hp envy 5000 series. I was able to do test prints from the printer, and when I tried to print from the computer, I could hear so kipme prep to print in the printer and the print queue showed it as printing my document, but nothing printed. I was on with the virtual assistant from hp for nearly an hour, but gave up when it said to reinstall the printer (or the drivers). Diagnostics show it is connected through my modem, and I unplugged and plugged back in the printer. Printer is about a month old.

Follow up.  So, I've been able to print for a while since this problem.  Yesterday, I decided to print my ticket because I left my hard copy ticket in the office.  Just to test that my printer was working, I printed a pdf from my computer before downloading and printing my tickets.  Fine.  Then I went to the Nats ticket website and tried to print a ticket from My Tickets.  Same old problem.  So, I saved the ticket as a pdf and rebooted both my printer and my laptop.  Print popped out when I did that, even before I selected and printed again. 

Offline dracnal

« Reply #507: October 15, 2019, 01:46:42 PM »
Have to breakout the old laptop for this question:

When I go to bed, I usually set the PC to "sleep" mode.    On occasion, it'll take a few seconds to "sleep" or may even "restart" to check itself out/add things.     Last night, the PC went into an "Automatic Repair" mode and it won't restart.    I've tried just about everything I can think of ...  restart, system reset, power off/on, start-up repair, etc. and nothing works.    It keeps going back to "Problem resetting PC" or "start up repair" doesn't work.

Any ideas and/or a good "repair" shop in E. Loudoun who can look at this mess?     There's a reason I don't use this laptop.    :)

Our company doesn't do repairs for private individuals, but one of our clients gets a lot of work taken care of by a Sterling company called Affinity - https://affinity-usa.com/ - I've dealt with them several times and they know what they're doing and have good pricing. Haven't really seen them try to overcharge or upsell anything, either.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #508: October 15, 2019, 01:50:48 PM »
Our company doesn't do repairs for private individuals, but one of our clients gets a lot of work taken care of by a Sterling company called Affinity - https://affinity-usa.com/ - I've dealt with them several times and they know what they're doing and have good pricing. Haven't really seen them try to overcharge or upsell anything, either.

Thanks.   I'll give 'em a shot.    I've been "playing" with the PC all night/day and can't get past the "Automatic Repair"/"Computer reset" issues.     I hesitate to get too far into the weeds/over my skill level.    I don't wanna ruin what could be a simple solution.

BTW   I think Affinity may be the place you pointed me too when I needed a new power pack and mother board.

Thanks again drac

Offline dracnal

« Reply #509: October 15, 2019, 02:24:47 PM »
Thanks.   I'll give 'em a shot.    I've been "playing" with the PC all night/day and can't get past the "Automatic Repair"/"Computer reset" issues.     I hesitate to get too far into the weeds/over my skill level.    I don't wanna ruin what could be a simple solution.

BTW   I think Affinity may be the place you pointed me too when I needed a new power pack and mother board.

Thanks again drac

Yep - that's the place. My guess is it's going to come down to them backing up your data and reinstalling the OS, then putting the data back on.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #510: October 15, 2019, 02:31:26 PM »
Yep - that's the place. My guess is it's going to come down to them backing up your data and reinstalling the OS, then putting the data back on.

I'll probably ride over in the AM.    Folks there were pretty straight up with me the last time.   I'd like to get it all back together before the World Series.     :)

Offline awbb

« Reply #511: October 15, 2019, 03:12:39 PM »
Follow up.  So, I've been able to print for a while since this problem.  Yesterday, I decided to print my ticket because I left my hard copy ticket in the office.  Just to test that my printer was working, I printed a pdf from my computer before downloading and printing my tickets.  Fine.  Then I went to the Nats ticket website and tried to print a ticket from My Tickets.  Same old problem.  So, I saved the ticket as a pdf and rebooted both my printer and my laptop.  Print popped out when I did that, even before I selected and printed again.

Do you have an inbuilt or API VPN in your browser?

Offline dracnal

« Reply #512: October 15, 2019, 03:31:12 PM »

If you pull up the Printer Properties from Devices and Printers, and check the Advanced Ports tab, what type of port is it connecting with? If it's not a USB cable, my guess would be it's WSD. If so, that's worth changing because HP WSD implementation is pretty trash  for some models.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #513: October 15, 2019, 04:15:00 PM »
Do you have an inbuilt or API VPN in your browser?
I would not know.
If you pull up the Printer Properties from Devices and Printers, and check the Advanced Ports tab, what type of port is it connecting with? If it's not a USB cable, my guess would be it's WSD. If so, that's worth changing because HP WSD implementation is pretty trash  for some models.
I think maybe the USB cable would be worth a try.  It is a wireless connection to the printer. 

It's just odd that the problem is primarily when I use the print option on the Nats's My Ticket website.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #514: October 15, 2019, 04:26:07 PM »

these are the same issues I had with my HP printer.  The fix, as I mentioned previously, was to assign a static IP address to the printer.  Seems that often when the printer woke from sleep it lost its IP address.

Offline awbb

« Reply #515: October 15, 2019, 04:42:23 PM »
I would not know.I think maybe the USB cable would be worth a try.  It is a wireless connection to the printer. 

It's just odd that the problem is primarily when I use the print option on the Nats's My Ticket website.

Imref is right that a printer should be assigned a static IP address, but the issue you appear to have is it working then suddenly not working with no period of sleep. My thought comes from an issue where something, usually a VPN is changing your PCs public IP address and that is the network connection that it is attempting to use to send the print data which the printer can’t see, though the spooler will show up as pending as that is local to the PC. However this is easy to check as simply put if anything  prints when you have used your browser then it is unlikely to be to do with that, be it the Nats MY Ticket site or anything.

A last test could be if it happens again open command prompt (CMD) and refresh your PC IP address from your router (‘ipconfig /release’,’ipconfig /renew’). This should grab a new up address and hopefully sever any VPN address and if that works anything sat waiting to print should then work!

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #516: October 15, 2019, 04:46:10 PM »
Imref is right that a printer should be assigned a static IP address, but the issue you appear to have is it working then suddenly not working with no period of sleep. My thought comes from an issue where something, usually a VPN is changing your PCs public IP address and that is the network connection that it is attempting to use to send the print data which the printer can’t see, though the spooler will show up as pending as that is local to the PC. However this is easy to check as simply put if anything  prints when you have used your browser then it is unlikely to be to do with that, be it the Nats MY Ticket site or anything.

A last test could be if it happens again open command prompt (CMD) and refresh your PC IP address from your router (‘ipconfig /release’,’ipconfig /renew’). This should grab a new up address and hopefully sever any VPN address and if that works anything sat waiting to print should then work!

Reading this makes be great full for airplay

Offline awbb

« Reply #517: October 15, 2019, 04:55:40 PM »
Reading this makes be great full for airplay

VPN can mess that up too! 😀

Offline dracnal

« Reply #518: October 15, 2019, 10:45:09 PM »
I would not know.I think maybe the USB cable would be worth a try.  It is a wireless connection to the printer. 

WSD mean Web Services Device. And if you use the generic printer install driver where it finds it and connects, that's usually what HP does. It's an incredibly unstable system for many, many printers, and the fix is either a USB connection, or as noted by others, to give it a static IP address and connect that way. If you've got a USB cable and no one else prints to it, that's the best and most certain route.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #519: October 22, 2019, 12:52:26 PM »
Did the Affinity computer shop on 606 near the Loudoun/Herndon line.    They took care of my problem and I have the PC back.    I may spring for a new laptop in the future.    Hell, all the more I use it for, I should be able to get one pretty cheaply.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #520: October 22, 2019, 01:57:36 PM »
Did the Affinity computer shop on 606 near the Loudoun/Herndon line.    They took care of my problem and I have the PC back.    I may spring for a new laptop in the future.    Hell, all the more I use it for, I should be able to get one pretty cheaply.

Pretty sure Affinity will sell refurbed laptops at very solid prices. It's random what they have in stock at any point but again, my client has used them for multiple employees and they've worked as advertised. Only had one issue with a WiFi card in one and they made good on it, same day, no charge.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #521: October 22, 2019, 02:43:31 PM »
Pretty sure Affinity will sell refurbed laptops at very solid prices. It's random what they have in stock at any point but again, my client has used them for multiple employees and they've worked as advertised. Only had one issue with a WiFi card in one and they made good on it, same day, no charge.

As the lady in front of me was being addressed, I perused the laptops on display.    :)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #522: October 28, 2019, 04:23:34 PM »
Missus wants to download music from the PC to her phone(LGG6) and the PC now thinks it's a camera.    Any ideas how to have the PC recognize the device as a phone?     Used to download music to the phone.   We recently had work down on the PC  ....

Offline dracnal

« Reply #523: October 28, 2019, 04:33:08 PM »
Missus wants to download music from the PC to her phone(LGG6) and the PC now thinks it's a camera.    Any ideas how to have the PC recognize the device as a phone?     Used to download music to the phone.   We recently had work down on the PC  ....

While it will see it as a camera, it should add a drive letter in Windows Explorer. Click Start, then My Computer (or right click start and click File Explorer). If she has any other music on there, she should see the folder where she should copy the songs.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #524: October 28, 2019, 04:36:43 PM »
While it will see it as a camera, it should add a drive letter in Windows Explorer. Click Start, then My Computer (or right click start and click File Explorer). If she has any other music on there, she should see the folder where she should copy the songs.

She does have the old music file on it.    She's headin' out the door to work and tells me of the problem.   I sez, "Give me the phone and I'll plug it in (USB) to see what happens."
She sez, "I gotta go to work."
I sez, "Then why are you bothering me with this now?"
She didn't hear me.    :phew:

I think the "problem" is the reload Affinity provided is settlin' in to its old self.   It probably ain't a big deal.     Thought I might get a quick fix.

I'll plug it in tomorrow and see if I get the indications you mention.    I'll provide an update.    Thanks