Author Topic: Computer problem= Help Requested.  (Read 25058 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Computer problem= Help Requested.
« Reply #475: August 28, 2019, 12:34:13 PM »
Appears I had another "reset" last night and I have to log into everything again.    Bookmarks I had added over the last few days are gone.    I wouldn't even mind all this if I knew what was causing it.

are you logged into Chrome?  Not sure how it looks on Windows, but on my Mac in the top right-hand corner of Chrome it shows that i'm logged into my Google profile.   If you are logged in, it should save your bookmarks to your Google profile.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #476: August 28, 2019, 12:39:16 PM »
are you logged into Chrome?  Not sure how it looks on Windows, but on my Mac in the top right-hand corner of Chrome it shows that i'm logged into my Google profile.   If you are logged in, it should save your bookmarks to your Google profile.

I don't believe I've ever logged into Chrome.     The top right of my screen has a prompt to sign in.        I just use it as a search engine.    That's gonna come to an end soon.    :)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #477: August 28, 2019, 01:04:57 PM »
I don't believe I've ever logged into Chrome.     The top right of my screen has a prompt to sign in.        I just use it as a search engine.    That's gonna come to an end soon.    :)

if you sign in not only will it save your bookmarks to Google, but if you log into another device, your bookmarks will be there too.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #478: August 28, 2019, 01:10:11 PM »
if you sign in not only will it save your bookmarks to Google, but if you log into another device, your bookmarks will be there too.

I'll have to work on my unwillingness to leave too many foot prints out there.    :)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #479: August 28, 2019, 04:03:11 PM »
I'll have to work on my unwillingness to leave too many foot prints out there.    :)
dude doesn't just use burner phones.  He uses burner computers when he posts here.  Can't let the ISPs follow his moves.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #480: August 28, 2019, 04:26:10 PM »
dude doesn't just use burner phones.  He uses burner computers when he posts here.  Can't let the ISPs follow his moves.

Ironically, by using the same geo-location and going to the same sites, it really doesn't matter if they have his name. They know who he is.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #481: August 28, 2019, 04:43:09 PM »
Ironically, by using the same geo-location and going to the same sites, it really doesn't matter if they have his name. They know who he is.

Of course. "They" know everything. :)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #482: August 28, 2019, 04:54:49 PM »
Just like I know everything about all of you :poke:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #483: August 28, 2019, 05:03:14 PM »
Of course. "They" know everything. :)

We know about them as well.     :)     I don't really mind that they know who and where I am.    I just want it to be easier for them to find you.   

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #484: August 28, 2019, 10:26:57 PM »
Chief - are you sure there isn't more to most of us than we discuss on WNFF ?

Just like I know everything about all of you :poke:

Offline dracnal

« Reply #485: August 29, 2019, 09:13:55 AM »
Chief - are you sure there isn't more to most of us than we discuss on WNFF ?

What you don't know is that his day job is running wnsaff.net.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #486: August 29, 2019, 09:19:01 AM »
We know about them as well.     :)     I don't really mind that they know who and where I am.    I just want it to be easier for them to find you.   

The IRS, social security and Medicare know where I am and how to reach me. ;)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #487: September 25, 2019, 03:25:42 PM »
Smart phone question   ...

Got a hand me down smart phone (Samsung Galaxy J7 V).    The phone is a "brick".    Missus tells me the owner is no longer on the account and the phone was reset to factory standards by the Verizon store.    How hard is it to "upgrade" my phone to the "brick" and use it on my Verizon account?     Will I need the old phone/account number, etc.?     Will Verizon do it for free?    If it's too much of a hassle, I'll just keep my LG Cosmos 3 (slide keyboard).    If it can be done, I'll be one step closer to the 21st century.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #488: September 25, 2019, 03:32:47 PM »
usually brick refers to a phone that is permanently unusable, I.e a mess up that corrupts it making it a paper weight. I’m guessing that is not the case here. If you have a backup of your current phone and the other is just a wiped fresh phone, it should be pretty simple to restore the backup to the new phone- at least anything that’s a google/android service

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #489: September 25, 2019, 03:34:15 PM »
Verizon will transfer your number to a new phone for a small fee - maybe for free. They did it for free for me last time. You can call a store and check.  Bring both phones when you actually go have it done.

Are you trying to transfer contacts, etc.? That might be harder based on the age of your phone (creaky) - I don't think your old phone is an Android phone.

Do you have data on your phone plan? I guess all Verizon plans have data now...

Smart phone question   ...

Got a hand me down smart phone (Samsung Galaxy J7 V).    The phone is a "brick".    Missus tells me the owner is no longer on the account and the phone was reset to factory standards by the Verizon store.    How hard is it to "upgrade" my phone to the "brick" and use it on my Verizon account?     Will I need the old phone/account number, etc.?     Will Verizon do it for free?    If it's too much of a hassle, I'll just keep my LG Cosmos 3 (slide keyboard).    If it can be done, I'll be one step closer to the 21st century.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #490: September 25, 2019, 03:34:24 PM »
usually brick refers to a phone that is permanently unusable, I.e a mess up that corrupts it making it a paper weight. I’m guessing that is not the case here. If you have a backup of your current phone and the other is just a wiped fresh phone, it should be pretty simple to restore the backup to the new phone

Thanks HS.    I'm not sure the boss was usin' the correct terminology (brick) but I'm too ignorant of the subject to know.    I know Verizon did the reset to factory specs.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #491: September 25, 2019, 03:38:47 PM »
Verizon will transfer your number to a new phone for a small fee - maybe for free. They did it for free for me last time. You can call a store and check.  Bring both phones when you actually go have it done.

Are you trying to transfer contacts, etc.? That might be harder based on the age of your phone (creaky) - I don't think your old phone is an Android phone.

You’re right, it has email though

Mobile Email & Web
Get the latest news, weather, stock market updates, and sports scores. Access your Windows Live™ Hotmail®, Yahoo!® Mail and AOL® accounts easily.“

https://www.verizonwireless.com/basic-phones/cosmos-3/

Getting the email to the new phone is East, contacts and photos may be a pain/impossible

Offline mitlen

« Reply #492: September 25, 2019, 03:39:40 PM »

Are you trying to transfer contacts, etc.? That might be harder based on the age of your phone (creaky).

Thanks Gburg   ....  I will need my contacts, etc. transferred, unless I type 'em all out before I change phones and then re-enter 'em.     To my knowledge, I don't do data on my phone but we have 4G on our account.     When I get the bill, the boss uses all the available data balance.   :lol:     If they can make the phone smart again, I'll probably increase the data  ....   keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriste I can google at the Park.    I can even post from the Park.     Goooooooooooolly. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #493: September 25, 2019, 03:42:24 PM »
There's WiFi at the Park, although it sucks. I'd ask them if they think you can transfer data from a phone of that sort.

It's in their interest to get your new phone up and running - so you can spend money on data. :)

Thanks Gburg   ....  I will need my contacts, etc. transferred, unless I type 'em all out before I change phones and then re-enter 'em.     To my knowledge, I don't do data on my phone but we have 4G on our account.     When I get the bill, the boss uses all the available data balance.   :lol:     If they can make the phone smart again, I'll probably increase the data  ....   keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriste I can google at the Park.    I can even post from the Park.     Goooooooooooolly. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #494: September 28, 2019, 08:02:39 PM »
Had a weird one today. My printer is an hp envy 5000 series. I was able to do test prints from the printer, and when I tried to print from the computer, I could hear so kipme prep to print in the printer and the print queue showed it as printing my document, but nothing printed. I was on with the virtual assistant from hp for nearly an hour, but gave up when it said to reinstall the printer (or the drivers). Diagnostics show it is connected through my modem, and I unplugged and plugged back in the printer. Printer is about a month old.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #495: September 28, 2019, 08:08:40 PM »
Had a weird one today. My printer is an hp envy 5000 series. I was able to do test prints from the printer, and when I tried to print from the computer, I could hear so kipme prep to print in the printer and the print queue showed it as printing my document, but nothing printed. I was on with the virtual assistant from hp for nearly an hour, but gave up when it said to reinstall the printer (or the drivers). Diagnostics show it is connected through my modem, and I unplugged and plugged back in the printer. Printer is about a month old.

Inside or outside of the return window?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #496: September 28, 2019, 08:48:44 PM »
Inside or outside of the return window?
I have not pulled my receipt. I may have a warranted too.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #497: September 28, 2019, 09:06:18 PM »
If you spent a hour with tech support on something you can return, my feeling would be to return it and try again with another printer

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #498: September 29, 2019, 07:03:26 PM »
Funny thing happened when I just booted up my computer after starting the printer.  The printer spit out my ticket that I was trying to print yesterday.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #499: September 30, 2019, 09:59:58 AM »
Funny thing happened when I just booted up my computer after starting the printer.  The printer spit out my ticket that I was trying to print yesterday.

Might be worth clearing the spooler.
Click start.
Type services.msc and press enter.
Find Print Spooler, right click and select Stop.
Open Windows Explorer.
Browse to C:\windows\system32\spool\printers
Delete everything in the folder
Close Windows Explorer
In the services window, right click Print Spooler and select Start
Close service and try printing something to see if the issue is fixed

Those steps will fix a LOT of random weird printer behavior. Especially if you see documents in the queue that you can't delete or get rid of.