Author Topic: Computer problem= Help Requested.  (Read 24988 times)

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
Re: Computer problem= Help Requested.
« Reply #425: October 21, 2018, 02:24:51 PM »
I'm looking for an ad blocker that works on Firefox.  They have about 8 add ons, the most popular being UBlock Origin, AdBlock for Firefox, Ghostery with over 1 million users, with AdGuard and AdBlocker Ultimate around 300-400,000.  There's 3 others in the neighborhood of 30,000 users. 
Any thoughts?  My webmail is almost non-functional on my home pc due to all the ads and scripts, and I don't have a problem with it on my work computer that uses ad blockers.  Oddly enough, this wasn't a problem when I used Kaspersky antivirus, but when I had to switch to Trend Micro that started to be an issue.

I use uBlock Origin without any issues. Which webmail are you using that is unusable with all those add-ons?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #426: October 21, 2018, 07:43:29 PM »
I use uBlock Origin without any issues. Which webmail are you using that is unusable with all those add-ons?
juno, which is netzero.  I have had juno for about 15+ years.

Offline Panther Modern

« Reply #427: October 22, 2018, 09:38:44 PM »
juno, which is netzero.  I have had juno for about 15+ years.

:lmao:

Time to upgrade. Can you connect to a mail app, like Thunderbird?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #428: October 23, 2018, 12:00:20 AM »
:lmao:

Time to upgrade. Can you connect to a mail app, like Thunderbird?
I probably could download thunderbird, which sounds suspiciously like a quick way to get drunk, but don't I need a host for the email? 

It will take some work, but I suppose I could switch over to gmail as my primary account and keep juno as my tertiary mail to be checked once a week as a I switch contacts over. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #429: October 23, 2018, 02:50:01 PM »
I probably could download thunderbird, which sounds suspiciously like a quick way to get drunk, but don't I need a host for the email? 

It will take some work, but I suppose I could switch over to gmail as my primary account and keep juno as my tertiary mail to be checked once a week as a I switch contacts over.

Or have gmail pull it.

https://www.redstampmail.com/resources/configuring-gmail-to-pull-mail/netzero.com/

You'll love Google Inbox.

Offline GburgNatsFan

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #432: October 23, 2018, 03:18:00 PM »
The features that I like best (pinning and aggressive automatic bundling aren’t in Gmail either)

Offline Panther Modern

« Reply #433: October 23, 2018, 10:49:56 PM »
Gmail is becoming hot garbage. The new interface made me switch to FastMail, which is faster, easier to use and allows me to use my own domain. Highly recommend.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #434: October 24, 2018, 09:16:05 AM »
Gmail is becoming hot garbage. The new interface made me switch to FastMail, which is faster, easier to use and allows me to use my own domain. Highly recommend.

I use a lot of  Google apps and Inbox features. It's anything but hot garbage (IMHO). Reminders, pinned items, calendar integration... it's great.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #435: October 24, 2018, 09:29:22 AM »
Inbox isn’t remotely similiar to stock gmail, stock gmail is a hot mess (I tried switching back when they announced inbox was ending), but inbox is full of features that are actually useful

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #436: October 24, 2018, 09:38:43 AM »
Inbox isn’t remotely similiar to stock gmail, stock gmail is a hot mess (I tried switching back when they announced inbox was ending), but inbox is full of features that are actually useful

It's amazing to me that more people didn't adopt Inbox. I'm looking at Gmail now and it's glaringly awful.

Offline Panther Modern

« Reply #437: October 24, 2018, 08:12:56 PM »
It's amazing to me that more people didn't adopt Inbox. I'm looking at Gmail now and it's glaringly awful.

Inbox was great. But, with Google euthanizing it, the hot garbage that is Gmail remains.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #438: October 24, 2018, 10:14:50 PM »
Inbox was great. But, with Google euthanizing it, the hot garbage that is Gmail remains.

You wonder why Google doesn't go the Fastmail way with it. See if people would pony up $36 a year for it. I would.

Offline Panther Modern

« Reply #439: October 24, 2018, 11:14:33 PM »
You wonder why Google doesn't go the Fastmail way with it. See if people would pony up $36 a year for it. I would.

I paid for a FastMail and have no regrets. Money well spent.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #440: October 25, 2018, 08:35:44 AM »
I paid for a FastMail and have no regrets. Money well spent.

I might have to give it a shot.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #441: December 13, 2018, 10:28:24 AM »
Actually more of a cell phone question.   My Samsung has Knox security built in. Verizon has tried to get me to use McAfee when I am using the internet but the rep at bestbuy said that the built in system should be ok and running another antivirus would slow the phone and is not needed. Any thoughts?

Offline dracnal

« Reply #442: December 13, 2018, 11:21:29 AM »
Generally running two antivirus programs on anything is bad. They tend to get wrapped up in loops where one checks a file, and the other checks the thing that checked the file, then the first checks the thing that just checked them, etc.

Verizon is getting paid by McAfee to push McAfee. I'd stick with the stock program.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #443: March 31, 2019, 08:05:57 AM »
Not a serious problem but it appears my Adblocker "disappeared".    I figure there was some kind of "upgrade" overnight that screwed things up.   How hard is it to re-install?     I also have to re-enter passwords for sites like WNFF, local paper, etc.   Hell, AOL tells me I got a problem with "unusual activity" when I try to log in.   Throw in my Google top searches screen is empty and it's old already.    :smh:      Looks like I got scrubbed.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #444: March 31, 2019, 08:24:51 AM »
What web browser do you use. IE, chrome, Firefox?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #445: March 31, 2019, 08:25:48 AM »
What web browser do you use. IE, chrome, Firefox?

Chrome

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #446: March 31, 2019, 08:30:49 AM »
Chrome

I’m pretty sure ad Adblock is a setting in chrome as opposed to an installed program. It’s what I use as well.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #447: March 31, 2019, 08:37:20 AM »
I’m pretty sure ad Adblock is a setting in chrome as opposed to an installed program. It’s what I use as well.

It's odd.   I had it last night when I logged off.    This morning?    Poof.    A lot of my screens/access are different today.   Gotta re-enter all my passwords.    Good thing I wrote 'em down.   :)      As mentioned, the Google quick access/shortcut screen has to be reset as well.    Between this and the attic fan, I may as well go to the Park and yell at dave.

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #448: March 31, 2019, 08:45:55 AM »
Not a computer question but it is a little technology related.     My turntable works fine but the needle is bent.    Wanna get a new cartridge.     Is there a reliable "old technology" store in the area?    Specifically, looking for a cartridge for turntables.    Guitar Center appears to be the closest thing to what I'm lookin' for but damn they're expensive.     I'd prefer goin' local than online.

Thanks

I'm seeing this kind of late, but try Gifted Listener in Centreville. Stereo shop located on Route 29 a bit west of Union Mill Road. Won't be cheap, though.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #449: March 31, 2019, 09:12:32 AM »
I'm seeing this kind of late, but try Gifted Listener in Centreville. Stereo shop located on Route 29 a bit west of Union Mill Road. Won't be cheap, though.

Thanks Shoo.    I ended up ordering the needle/cartridge online from someplace in Britain.   It works great.