Author Topic: Computer problem= Help Requested.  (Read 24837 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Computer problem= Help Requested.
« Reply #200: December 20, 2016, 01:40:58 PM »
Talked to tech support (son).    I think we're gonna order some parts and have him install 'em.   BTW got the front off and applied pressure directly to the on/off "button".    No change in results   ....   Hard drive, (new) power supply, DVD are good.   I think we'll order a new switch and mother board.    Then again, I may change my mind in 10 minutes.    :old:

Update:    We're gonna replace it piece by piece.    Already have a new power supply.   We're goin' after the motherboard/CPU.    Probably upgrade along the way as well.   I have a few weeks to play around and use this raggedy laptop.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #201: December 20, 2016, 01:52:14 PM »
Or just forget what the hell you were talking about.

Talked to tech support (son).    I think we're gonna order some parts and have him install 'em.   BTW got the front off and applied pressure directly to the on/off "button".    No change in results   ....   Hard drive, (new) power supply, DVD are good.   I think we'll order a new switch and mother board.    Then again, I may change my mind in 10 minutes.    :old:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #202: December 20, 2016, 02:08:27 PM »
Or just forget what the hell you were talking about.

Huh?

Offline dracnal

« Reply #203: December 20, 2016, 02:17:17 PM »

Probably wouldn't worry about the switch given what you're describing. Regarding the mobo, if your son is local and can do it in a timely fashion, sounds like a good plan. This country as a whole is pretty quick to throw the baby out with the bathwater, but it sounds like you've got a number of components still getting it done.

My only other possible thought on this would be to rule out CPU over heat (blow out the heatsink with compressed air) and electrical shorts from external connectors. To test the latter, remove everything from USB ports, printers, etc., and start it with nothing but the power cord and video cable connected.

Your son can likely do a little more testing, such as reseating the CPU, disconnecting HDD and CDRom, mobo connector pins (for speakers, power switch, etc), going to one stick of RAM, etc. The idea being remove as many components from the mix as possible in an attempt to figure out if it will start period. If you can, you add things one at a time until you find the thing breaking it.

Ultimately though, you're talking MoBo or CPU. Definitely worth spending the cash for compressed air (cheap) and blowing it all out.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #204: December 20, 2016, 02:19:42 PM »
That beard looks nice on you, though.

Huh?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #205: December 20, 2016, 07:27:55 PM »
Trying to get my new Windows 10 computer to perform a back up, I'm reminded why I went to mac; something that should be straight forward always seems to end up with me scrolling through Microsoft community answers. The fact that a backup hanging at 57% is relatively common thing with no solution has me considering just returning the damn thing

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #206: December 20, 2016, 07:32:01 PM »
Trying to get my new Windows 10 computer to perform a back up, I'm reminded why I went to mac; something that should be straight forward always seems to end up with me scrolling through Microsoft community answers. The fact that a backup hanging at 57% is relatively common thing with no solution has me considering just returning the damn thing

Clonezilla is cheap, free, and reliable if you're comfortable with a basic guided text/terminal interface.  Macrium Reflect Free is also a good option if you prefer the UI approach.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #207: December 20, 2016, 07:34:18 PM »
Thanks, ill try clonezilla tomorrow

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #208: December 21, 2016, 01:47:44 PM »
Anyone use a google home? What devices work well with?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #209: December 28, 2016, 01:46:45 PM »
Got the new motherboard and CPU today.    I'll open the box tomorrow and see what's what.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #210: December 28, 2016, 01:51:39 PM »
Got the new motherboard and CPU today.    I'll open the box tomorrow and see what's what.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #211: December 28, 2016, 01:53:19 PM »
I'm glad to see that you aren't getting them and open them today. Too much excitement. Better to space it out.

Offline mitlen

Offline mitlen

« Reply #213: December 28, 2016, 01:53:59 PM »
I'm glad to see that you aren't getting them and open them today. Too much excitement. Better to space it out.

Pitt's on in 5 minutes.   It's about priorities.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #214: December 28, 2016, 07:18:22 PM »
As long as it's all in the same case Mrs. Chief is none the wiser :nts:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #215: December 28, 2016, 07:52:35 PM »
As long as it's all in the same case Mrs. Chief is none the wiser :nts:

Zactly

Offline mitlen

« Reply #216: December 29, 2016, 12:38:01 PM »
I'm in over my head.   :lol:     Put a call into tech support (son).    The "parts" look similar to what's in the box now and I don't wanna muck it up.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #217: December 29, 2016, 01:35:35 PM »
I'm in over my head.   :lol:     Put a call into tech support (son).    The "parts" look similar to what's in the box now and I don't wanna muck it up.

Fun fact about motherboards. There are little brass screws that come with them. Use them to attach the thing to the case if you don't want to short things out as a best case scenario.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #218: December 29, 2016, 01:38:38 PM »
Fun fact about motherboards. There are little brass screws that come with them. Use them to attach the thing to the case if you don't want to short things out as a best case scenario.

I don't see any brass screws  ...   yet.    Spoke to tech support (my son).    I'm gonna give it a go.    Worse that can happen is the house burns down.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #219: December 29, 2016, 02:08:20 PM »
I don't see any brass screws  ...   yet.    Spoke to tech support (my son).    I'm gonna give it a go.    Worse that can happen is the house burns down.

Technically, they are little brass hex shaped posts with threading on one end and a female socket on the other. They should be in the bag of miscellany that came with the mobo. You look at the motherboard to see where the holes in it (surrounded by a couple mm of silver ring and compare those to the holes in the side of the case. Then you put the posts in each hole in the case that aligns with the mobo holes. That lets you secure them with the silver, slightly rounded head screws in that same bag of miscellany.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #220: December 29, 2016, 02:33:28 PM »
Technically, they are little brass hex shaped posts with threading on one end and a female socket on the other. They should be in the bag of miscellany that came with the mobo. You look at the motherboard to see where the holes in it (surrounded by a couple mm of silver ring and compare those to the holes in the side of the case. Then you put the posts in each hole in the case that aligns with the mobo holes. That lets you secure them with the silver, slightly rounded head screws in that same bag of miscellany.

I didn't see any screws.    I'll use the ones I have from the old motherboard.    Same vendor.   Plugged everything in (with some screw ups) and it powers and stays up fine.    I'll plug everything (monitor, etc.) in tomorrow and enter the new BIOS info from CD.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #221: December 29, 2016, 07:04:41 PM »
Sounds like you got....  screwed

8)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #222: December 29, 2016, 07:05:20 PM »
Sounds like you got....  screwed

8)

:lol:   Literally and figuratively.    I've never tried this before and it took awhile but it's pretty damn satisfying.    Now, if only it doesn't blow up tomorrow when I actually try to use it.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #223: December 29, 2016, 07:15:09 PM »
Glad to see you aren't rushing into testing it out tonight. Too much excitement in one day...

:lol:   Literally and figuratively.    I've never tried this before and it took awhile but it's pretty damn satisfying.    Now, if only it doesn't blow up tomorrow when I actually try to use it.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #224: December 29, 2016, 07:15:42 PM »
Glad to see you aren't rushing into testing it out tonight. Too much excitement in one day...

Priorities  ....  Caps are on.    :)

BTW   BIOS installation tips are appreciated.    I'm goin' with the "EZ Mode" install.

:thumbs:    Yea  !!!