Author Topic: Fire Davey  (Read 85690 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Fire Davey
« Reply #175: May 30, 2013, 03:57:06 PM »
Dumb all the way around. Rigs should have waited, Rizzo should have been able to smooth it over. So much stupid that day ... so much stupid.

Now we're stuck with Davey Johnson.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #176: May 30, 2013, 03:58:34 PM »
Dumb all the way around. Rigs should have waited, Rizzo should have been able to smooth it over. So much stupid that day ... so much stupid.

Now we're stuck with Davey Johnson.
I just don't know how you can say Davey Johnson is a worse manager than Jim Riggelamn. I know you're joking but still.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #177: May 30, 2013, 04:02:25 PM »
I just don't know how you can say Davey Johnson is a worse manager than Jim Riggelamn. I know you're joking but still.
I'm not. Riggs had a better record with virtually the same team. You give him a healthy Strasburg and Harper, he can put up the same number of wins. More to the point, he wasn't stuck in the dogma of hitting the catcher 8th and forcing relief pitchers in to roles. He played every game to win.

We're stuck with Davey until he wants to retire or go back to the front office where he belongs.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #178: May 30, 2013, 04:05:14 PM »
embarrassing. same lineup as last night. pitiful

granted they scored 6 runs ... it's just funny they insist on keeping espy.  his fan club has completely disbanded.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #179: May 30, 2013, 04:07:07 PM »
His dogma was the bizarre double switch

I'm not. Riggs had a better record with virtually the same team. You give him a healthy Strasburg and Harper, he can put up the same number of wins. More to the point, he wasn't stuck in the dogma of hitting the catcher 8th and forcing relief pitchers in to roles. He played every game to win.

We're stuck with Davey until he wants to retire or go back to the front office where he belongs.

Offline WCD9973

« Reply #180: May 30, 2013, 04:08:13 PM »
Maybe Davey is still a Bmore fan.......

I kid...I kid....ish

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #181: May 30, 2013, 04:08:14 PM »
But with Tracy at First to not-field those scorching line drives down the 1B side.

Seriously, not watching tonight. I'll listen, but I won't watch.

(Okay, I'll probably end up watching.)

embarrassing. same lineup as last night. pitiful

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #182: May 30, 2013, 04:11:52 PM »
I've been trying to see his reasoning in these lineups and the only thing I can come up with is...

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #183: May 30, 2013, 04:31:48 PM »
I've been trying to see his reasoning in these lineups and the only thing I can come up with is...

Then you will probably never get it. I wish they would make a move with Espi, but other than that, having Tracy plays first makes sense, when you want to use the interleague games to give some of the regulars some rest. You may not like it, but that's the reasoning.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #184: May 30, 2013, 04:35:07 PM »
(Okay, I'll probably end up watching.)

Me too  ...   and spider  ...   and 

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
« Reply #185: May 30, 2013, 04:35:54 PM »
This freaking lineup for tonight...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #186: May 30, 2013, 04:37:37 PM »
What is Davey supposed to do with Tracy (or any of the other garbage on the roster)? If the guy is on the team they'll get playing time (unless they're a rookie call up)- tracy playing is on rizzo

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #187: May 30, 2013, 04:47:52 PM »
What is Davey supposed to do with Tracy (or any of the other garbage on the roster)? If the guy is on the team they'll get playing time (unless they're a rookie call up)- tracy playing is on rizzo

That's summarizes the crux of the matter. Ultimately, I don't absolve Davey of responsibility, but he needs to work with what he has been given. Interleague play gives a chance for guys like LaRoche, Zimmerman, etc. to get days off in the field without losing their bats in the lineup. That was going to happen no matter what. It comes down to who to play in their places. Not that Lombo couldn't play 1B in a pinch, but managers aren't going to play guys at 1B with no experience doing so. It isn't a position that anyone can simply play well without preparation.

Offline WCD9973

« Reply #188: May 30, 2013, 05:05:33 PM »
That's summarizes the crux of the matter. Ultimately, I don't absolve Davey of responsibility, but he needs to work with what he has been given. Interleague play gives a chance for guys like LaRoche, Zimmerman, etc. to get days off in the field without losing their bats in the lineup. That was going to happen no matter what. It comes down to who to play in their places. Not that Lombo couldn't play 1B in a pinch, but managers aren't going to play guys at 1B with no experience doing so. It isn't a position that anyone can simply play well without preparation.

Except 1st Base is Tyler Moore's natural position. You could put moore at 1st and Lombo at LF.... But you know...only if you were trying to win the game. 

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
« Reply #189: May 30, 2013, 05:07:35 PM »
Except 1st Base is Tyler Moore's natural position. You could but moore at 1st and Lombo at LF.... But you know...only if you were trying to win the game. 

Exactly!

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #190: May 30, 2013, 05:16:22 PM »
Davey trotting out the same crappy lineup again tonight:

1. Denard Span (L) CF
2. Roger Bernadina (L) RF
3. Ryan Zimmerman (R) 3B
4. Adam LaRoche (L) DH
5. Ian Desmond (R) SS
6. Tyler Moore (R) LF
7. Chad Tracy (L) 1B
8. Kurt Suzuki (R) C
9. Danny Espinosa (S) 2B

Maybe Lombo should demand to be traded :shrug:

I doubt Zim homers three times again, so we'll probably lose 16-3 with Haren going tonight....

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #191: May 30, 2013, 05:55:38 PM »
Except 1st Base is Tyler Moore's natural position. You could put moore at 1st and Lombo at LF.... But you know...only if you were trying to win the game. 

Is that because Moore's .149 BA and .202 OBP is better than Chad Tracy's .170/.220? Both guys have been dreadful at the plate this season, so relying upon either as the lynchpin to victory seems a bit over stated.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #192: May 30, 2013, 06:05:40 PM »
Also, it starts a LHB against the RHP with the option to swap when the situation arises. Honestly, I would assume every other manager would have likelydone the same.

Offline WCD9973

« Reply #193: May 30, 2013, 06:26:17 PM »
Is that because Moore's .149 BA and .202 OBP is better than Chad Tracy's .170/.220? Both guys have been dreadful at the plate this season, so relying upon either as the lynchpin to victory seems a bit over stated.

Yes..because Moore starting at 1st base gives you the ability to play Lombo who was hitting .300 in his 5 starts while espi was out.  It wouldn't have been sit tracy play Moore ( who is playing anyway) its sit Tracy and play Lombo.

Btw...any other manager would be sitting Espi by now....probably even if it was little league and being managed  by Danny's dad.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #194: May 30, 2013, 06:48:52 PM »
He's his little iron man.   :?

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #195: May 30, 2013, 07:32:48 PM »
It's the espi Lombo decision I have issues with too. With Espi in, the lineup is geared toward matchups and preserving bench options.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #196: May 30, 2013, 08:00:44 PM »
Then you will probably never get it. I wish they would make a move with Espi, but other than that, having Tracy plays first makes sense, when you want to use the interleague games to give some of the regulars some rest. You may not like it, but that's the reasoning.

I was just freaking around and looking for an excuse to show off my exceptional MS Paint skills.... pssshhhh

I still think the picture is funny.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #197: May 30, 2013, 09:39:12 PM »

How about try the guys on the bench instead? One has shown he can hit and the other one has one at bat. Maybe we can try them instead of the guys hitting under .200 at the end of May.

You want to DH Laroche? Fine. Play Moore at first and put Kobernus in LF. Stop trotting Danny Espinosa out there.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #198: May 30, 2013, 09:45:40 PM »
How about try the guys on the bench instead? One has shown he can hit and the other one has one at bat. Maybe we can try them instead of the guys hitting under .200 at the end of May.

You want to DH Laroche? Fine. Play Moore at first and put Kobernus in LF. Stop trotting Danny Espinosa out there.

Not including kobernus, there are five guys on the team hitting below .200 - without Harper and Werth,  it's just rearranging deck chairs, it's on Rizzo,  his bench signings suck and he's unwilling to demote players

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #199: May 30, 2013, 09:51:57 PM »
did you think the bench would stink going into the season, or is this something the GM and manager would need to correct midseason?

I don't think the fail was easy to project.  Maybe the Tracy extension was optimistic, like the Dmitri / Belliard / Guzie extensions we gave Bowden grief over.  Moore and Bernie are surprises.