Author Topic: Fire Davey  (Read 85662 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Re: Fire Davey
« Reply #125: May 30, 2013, 10:38:45 AM »
why? It's a one year deal, they have eaten those deals in the past when it became clear the player sucked (matt stairs?)
But he's a good guy and nice in the clubhouse. Can't get rid of him.

Offline PC

« Reply #126: May 30, 2013, 10:45:30 AM »
why? It's a one year deal, they have eaten those deals in the past when it became clear the player sucked (matt stairs?)

EVENTUALLY, it becomes clear to them.  Remember 2011, in Baltimore when we scored 17 runs?  Stairs DH'ed and was batting 5th and went 0 for 4.  It takes this team an exceptionally long time to cut bait.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #127: May 30, 2013, 11:13:06 AM »
Yeah, because it was important to bring in a reliever to promptly yield 4 runs. I'd sure like to know who the "right reliever" is that is never brought in. Unless of course Stammen is supposed to make 162 appearances.

BTW, OPACY is such a joke of a ballpark. It seems like Harper would hit pop up homeruns with regularity. Nevertheless, the offense was outmatched. I get wanting to give Tracy some work, because they need to try and salvage the signings. But him and Espi in the lineup is just death. The organization needs to come to terms with the Espi situation. Lombo needs to take over while he recovers from whatever the problem is. Lineup order doesn't make any significant difference on individual games. The key to a lineup is to minimize the holes. We have too many gaping ones. I don't really know if I could expect a rookie callup to magically find success, but swapping Lombo for Espi with a RHP is a no brainer.

This is EXACTLY why Stammen should have been brought in. His last appearance was May 27th. He was rested enough. He's a fantastic ground ball pitcher, which is exactly what we needed.

But because it was the 7th inning, he had to bring in his "7th inning guy" which is Clippard or Storen. He chose Clippard, who has a career of giving up a lot of home runs. The same logic that leads to Suzuki hitting 8th because he's the catcher.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #128: May 30, 2013, 12:06:56 PM »

Yeah, I had to double check the contract status to make sure it wasn't a two year deal. Still, even with the one year deal, the Lerners don't sign off on dumping a 1M dollar contract without some effort. Rizzo is probably behind on the paperwork. If Houston can dump Ankiel, this team needs to be prepared to pull the plug on Tracy.

When it comes to bullpen decisions, it's a matter of effective management. You manage for the season, not the individual game. The idea is that guys will perform better overall when they know when they are to be used. And when they are warmed up, they are going to be used. You can't make that decision mid-inning and get another guy up on the spur of the moment.

The real issue with the pen has been the lack of reliability of the guys who were supposed to be the strength. For two seasons, Stammen has been the most reliable reliever, but he has also been in the same role as long man. They may need to try and convert him. But the idea is to have a couple of long men for the situations when the starters can't go. Clippard and Storen have tumbled, so the roles may need to be rethought.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #129: May 30, 2013, 12:09:22 PM »
not saying this in hindsight, but Jordan shouldn't have been out there for the 7th.  obviously JZ deserves blame, but so does davey.

i just can't believe danny espinosa is still starting everyday.  rizzo/davey just need to bite the bullet, admit they were wrong and go with someone else before its too late.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #130: May 30, 2013, 12:33:36 PM »
not saying this in hindsight, but Jordan shouldn't have been out there for the 7th.  obviously JZ deserves blame, but so does WONK WONK WONK WONK WONK WONK davey IS A GOD.

i just can't believe WONK WONK danny espinosa SUCKS is still starting everyday WONK WONK.  rizzo/davey'S DREAMY just need to bite the bullet, admit they were wrong and go with someone else before its too late. WONK WONK WONK WONK WONK WONK

8)

Offline Slateman

« Reply #131: May 30, 2013, 12:34:09 PM »
  8)

You forgot to add the part about the Orioles being great and his massive love for all things Machado and Davis

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #132: May 30, 2013, 12:51:32 PM »
You forgot to add the part about the Orioles being great and his massive love for all things Machado and Davis

And BRob's socks.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #133: May 30, 2013, 12:53:26 PM »
I usually have to agree with everything you say. But last night, Zimmnn started the game without his best stuff, and was his fastball was getting flatter. I could see it, and I don't know crap. Someone should have been up at the beginning of the 7th. I'm not saying it had to be Stammen, but when you have a hot hitting team zeroing in on the starter, the fourth time through, you just need to go to someone else.

Clipp inherited a difficult situation. Had he started the 7th, I think we would have won the game.

Yeah, I had to double check the contract status to make sure it wasn't a two year deal. Still, even with the one year deal, the Lerners don't sign off on dumping a 1M dollar contract without some effort. Rizzo is probably behind on the paperwork. If Houston can dump Ankiel, this team needs to be prepared to pull the plug on Tracy.

When it comes to bullpen decisions, it's a matter of effective management. You manage for the season, not the individual game. The idea is that guys will perform better overall when they know when they are to be used. And when they are warmed up, they are going to be used. You can't make that decision mid-inning and get another guy up on the spur of the moment.

The real issue with the pen has been the lack of reliability of the guys who were supposed to be the strength. For two seasons, Stammen has been the most reliable reliever, but he has also been in the same role as long man. They may need to try and convert him. But the idea is to have a couple of long men for the situations when the starters can't go. Clippard and Storen have tumbled, so the roles may need to be rethought.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #134: May 30, 2013, 01:04:42 PM »
That may be. But I would assume that if  Davey pulled our best starter after 6 with a 3 run lead, and they blow the game, ppl would ask the opposite. At some point, you have to trust the guys paid to pitch in relief to deliver, and right now, that's tough. The fact remains as you say, the O's are a hot hitting team playing in a band box, and it's a challenge with our offense. The team really misses a healthy harper for this series.  He would be agreat DH option.

Offline Cinqo de Mayo

« Reply #135: May 30, 2013, 01:36:11 PM »
Don't forget the fervor of the crowd. I've never seen that at Nats Stadium. I expect the Orioles to end up with the best home record in baseball.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #136: May 30, 2013, 01:38:10 PM »
  obviously JZ deserves blame, but so does davey.

:shock: 

Probably just trying to throw the dogs off the scent though.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #137: May 30, 2013, 01:39:41 PM »
:shock: 

Probably just trying to throw the dogs off the scent though.

yeah that's what i'm doing.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #138: May 30, 2013, 01:41:06 PM »
Don't forget the fervor of the crowd. I've never seen that at Nats Stadium. I expect the Orioles to end up with the best home record in baseball.

Really? I expect the oriels to fall apart- they have no starting pitching, they are riding chris davis who isn't going to finish the season with barry bonds numbers and Manny Machado who isn't going to finish the season on the MVP trajectory he's on now (and even with that offense, they are still third in their division)

Offline PC

« Reply #139: May 30, 2013, 01:44:56 PM »

BS.

They scored 6 runs in an inning and were coming back.  Of course, the crowd was into it...and it was against the Nationals.

The Orioles are 12-12 at home.  The Nationals are 15-11 at home and the Orioles still have poor to middling home attendance.

Offline Cinqo de Mayo

« Reply #140: May 30, 2013, 01:51:27 PM »
BS.

They scored 6 runs in an inning and were coming back.  Of course, the crowd was into it...and it was against the Nationals.

The Orioles are 12-12 at home.  The Nationals are 15-11 at home and the Orioles still have poor to middling home attendance.
As a disgruntled ex-Oriole fan, I know that Baltimore is more of a baseball town than DC. Smaller attendance is a factor of Baltimore's lesser economy. As for the O's in third place, I fully expect both the Bosox and NYYs to collapse. I grant that the Orioles pitching is suspect, but if they get any pitching whatsoever, they are going to be unstoppable.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #141: May 30, 2013, 01:54:04 PM »

We've had it like that. Especially during last year's playoffs and Opening Day.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #142: May 30, 2013, 01:54:10 PM »
Nats starting pitching+ O's position players = 40 wins already?  More?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #143: May 30, 2013, 01:54:58 PM »
Nats starting pitching+ O's position players = 40 wins already?  More?

Yes

Offline jhuterp

« Reply #144: May 30, 2013, 01:55:11 PM »
IMO the O's bats will go cold before their pitching comes around.  They'll finish in third place.  Not saying their bats will stay cold, but they'll go through some slumps.  This is baseball.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #145: May 30, 2013, 01:57:44 PM »
It seems like the O's have an obvious need for quality starters.  I don't follow other teams close enough to know if Bundy can make an impact this year, but if he comes up or they trade for a quality 2-3 type guy, I would think they immediately become a serious contender.

We seem to be in much worse shape AND there are less obvious ways to improve.  Well there is one obvious way (the black hole at 2B) but management seems hellbent on not bothering with it. 

Offline Terps and Nats

• Wake me when the Braves series is over
« Reply #146: May 30, 2013, 01:58:18 PM »

Where's the fervor of the crowd when the Yankees or Red Sox are in town?  Why don't the amazing O's fans buy tickets to those games? 

Offline jhuterp

« Reply #147: May 30, 2013, 02:01:18 PM »
As much praise as everyone is heaping on the O's and as much pessimism as there is toward the Nats on this board, there's only a two game difference in the teams respective records.....

Offline Cinqo de Mayo

« Reply #148: May 30, 2013, 02:08:23 PM »
Speaking of Orioles fan fervor, what were the fans chanting late in the game? It sounded suspiciously like Braves fans while the do the tomahawk chop.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #149: May 30, 2013, 02:15:51 PM »
There are a million different threads this would be appropriate but I'll post here:

NAME    GP    AB    R    H    2B    3B    HR    RBI    BB    SO    BA    OBP    SLG    OPS
Batting #2    53    212    28    41    5    0    7    17    12    54    .193    .239    .316    .555
Batting #3    53    193    36    60    7    1    15    31    28    38    .311    .396    .591    .987

Our best batting after our worst all season.  Harper is one of 2 players in baseball (Morse being the other actually) with over half his RBIs coming from driving himself in on HRs.  One can say this shows how important Werth is to the team.  One could also say this shows inept lineup management.  One could say it reflects how everyone chokes in the 2 spot, even guys like Desmond/Lombo who seem to hit ok elsewhere.  I'm not sure what it shows, but it sucks.