Author Topic: What's Wrong with Baltimore?  (Read 2663 times)

gosensgo05

What's Wrong with Baltimore?
« Topic Start: July 06, 2005, 12:17:54 PM »
You hear that crashing noise, it's the Baltimore Orioles falling in the AL East standings.  

I knew either the O's or the Nats would crash back to Earth by the All-Star break.  I'm willing to bet that most baseball experts picked the Nats to drop dead first.  WRONG!!!!!!!!!!

How can the O's break the slump?

1.  Starting pitching.  Their starting staff has been atrocious for the past two weeks.  El Fat Sid is reverting back to his high HR, high WHIP self.  Ponson's days are numbered in Charm City.  

Rodrigo Lopez and Bruce Chen have had great a good 2005 season until now.  I don't think Lopez and Chen are that good to begin with.  However, the O's can build their staff around Cabrera and Bedard.   I wish the Nats one of those guys on our starting staff.

2.  Under-performing batting lineup.  You would think with a lineup that has Brian Roberts
Miguel Tejada
Rafael Palmeiro
Sammy Sosa
Melvin Mora
Javy Lopez

that the Orioles would be scoring 8-10 runs per game!!!!  Not the case here.  If anything, the Orioles have been scoring like the Nationals this season.  At least the Nats have an excuse with the lower payroll and many player visits to the disabled list.  The Orioles have no excuses...the hitters are not doing their jobs.  

The bottom line is that this is Peter Angelos's worst nightmare.  His under-achieving Orioles are dropping in the standings and fan interest will fall accordingly.  People will notice the buzz and excitement about the Nationals in Washington, DC.  Instead of families purchasing tickets for a game to OPACY, they will head SOUTH to the Capitol Beltway and then to RFK stadium for some Nats baseball.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #1: July 06, 2005, 12:53:55 PM »
the Orioles need consistent pitching.

that's why the are dropping.  they have a bunch of young, inexperienced, inconsisten pitchers.

they need some veteran pitchers.

and Sammy Sosa was a HORRIBLE acquirement.

Offline mjteggy05

« Reply #2: July 06, 2005, 01:04:44 PM »
Also, a lot of people don't realize, but the O's have had some terrible injuries to their major players, in much the same fashion as the Nats. I'll just list the guys that have missed time or are still hurt:

Javy Lopez
Eric Bedard (This one is the killer for them)
Brian Roberts
Melvin Mora
Luis Matos
Larry Bigbie
BJ Surhoff
Bruce Chen
Sammy Sosa (Not that having him in the line up helps)

That's not a bad line up right there