Author Topic: END OF SEASON?? MAYBE NEXT YEAR??  (Read 6410 times)

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
END OF SEASON?? MAYBE NEXT YEAR??
« Reply #25: July 29, 2005, 11:51:51 AM »
Shuushhhhh Don't use the *D* word... Remember, we don't debate on this board, we discuss... (sometimes vigorously) LOL

hillnat

« Reply #26: July 29, 2005, 12:37:42 PM »
I am guessing there is an inside joke that I am mising but why not the d word?

hillnat

« Reply #27: July 29, 2005, 12:39:57 PM »
Natslaska  I think we have exhausted this topic on to the next and no hard feelings on any postings.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #28: July 29, 2005, 01:02:34 PM »
For context, you have to keep in mind that there is probably no sport where superstition reigns like in baseball.  These guys are constantly adjusting personal habits (shaving, changing underwear, etc.) based on how many hits they had or how many strikeouts they got.  

"Oh my god, I had a 3 hit day, must be these new sunglasses!!!"  

It is insanely ridiculous, but that's the way it is for many players and coaches.

Fans are just a stupid about it.  "Call it a No-no, don't say No-hit*r, or you'll jinx the pitcher".

Natslaska, you may be in the minority on this board regarding "law of averages", but I assure you I am in the minority regarding my total contempt for superstition's place in baseball.

Natslaska

« Reply #29: July 29, 2005, 01:24:54 PM »
Quote from: "hillnat"
Natslaska  I think we have exhausted this topic on to the next and no hard feelings on any postings.

Likewise

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #30: July 29, 2005, 03:18:20 PM »
There are some pretty strange superstitions in hockey as well... Even to the point where if a shirt a player wears  every game under his equipment is so tattered you need tape to keep it on... I think hockey and baseball are the two sports that have some of the most extreme superstitions...