Author Topic: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread  (Read 147848 times)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Damn.  Air travel was already like Torquemada's dungeon, take away the bars and restaurants and I think I'll just be taking my chances sticking a thumb out at the side of the Interstate. 

At Dulles many of the eating/drinking spots have re-opened, but not the District Chop House (thus no place to get a brew pre-security); also the British Airways lounge still hasn't re-opened. It must also be noted that many of the shops and restaurants are keeping bankers' hours (some closing as early as 14.00; the Redskins-themed place in B concourse is only open 11.00-18.00). Interestingly, the Bracket Room sports bar near gate B50 is still listed on the Dulles website as open despite its other locations (Clarendon and National Airport) having closed down for good.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
That sucks.  The Bracket Room was ideally situated for flights using Gate 12, which seemed to be about 75% of my United flights out of DCA. 

Offline OldChelsea

That sucks.  The Bracket Room was ideally situated for flights using Gate 12, which seemed to be about 75% of my United flights out of DCA. 

Oddly the National Airport website lists it as still open. I do recall reading somewhere else that it folded; the original Bracket Room in Clarendon is definitely defunct (https://www.arlnow.com/2021/03/02/new-bracket-room-in-clarendon-has-closed/).

• babble on
Bracket Room had above average pub grub (for an airport) but most importantly had 20 oz beers, gate 12, and pissoire all right next to each other.  That alone is almost worthy of a Michelin star

Offline OldChelsea

Well this is rather a setback - State Department to add 130 countries to 'Do Not Travel' list because of Covid: https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/us-put-more-countries-under-covid-do-not-travel-advisory-state-department-2021-04-19/

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Well this is rather a setback - State Department to add 130 countries to 'Do Not Travel' list because of Covid: https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/us-put-more-countries-under-covid-do-not-travel-advisory-state-department-2021-04-19/

Did the USA make the Top 10?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

I booked a vacation pool home in West Palm Beach for a week next March on Vrbo today...

2021 was the only second Nationals Spring Training we've missed in the past 8 or 9 years...

Hope we can have another WNFF (South) M&G next year...

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline Count Walewski

I flip-flopped on my vacation plans again: Hawaii turned out to be even more expensive than Alaska upon further review (mostly thanks to Maui), so I am back to visiting Alaska in June. Just booked non-refundable tickets so I am committed to seeing our nation's Last Frontier now.

We're flying into Anchorage, flying out of Fairbanks.

Anyone got waterproof boots recommendations?

Offline blue911

I flip-flopped on my vacation plans again: Hawaii turned out to be even more expensive than Alaska upon further review (mostly thanks to Maui), so I am back to visiting Alaska in June. Just booked non-refundable tickets so I am committed to seeing our nation's Last Frontier now.

Wellies?

Offline imref

when we were in Alaska everyone wore the rubber over-boots that come up to your knees when they were fishing.  If you are looking for more of a hiking boot, I love Merrell Moabs.

I'm looking now at the Florida Keys in July or August, United just started direct flights that are around $400 PP

• babble on
Re Alaska, the mosquitoes and flies can be epic - cover up unless you want to bathe in deet.   

Offline Five Banners

I'm looking now at the Florida Keys in July or August, United just started direct flights that are around $400 PP

With the talk of mosquitoes and the Keys, this is timely:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/04/29/genetically-modified-mosquitoes-released-florida-keys-first-us/4876624001/

Offline imref

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Is anyone coming to OBX this summer ?

Offline RobDibblesGhost

I’ll be visiting Alaska next month as well. Flying in and out of Anchorage. Got a couple of nights of camping in Denali planned and will be in hotels the rest of the week. You’re right, it’s not cheap but I’m hoping it will be worth it.

Offline imref

I’ll be visiting Alaska next month as well. Flying in and out of Anchorage. Got a couple of nights of camping in Denali planned and will be in hotels the rest of the week. You’re right, it’s not cheap but I’m hoping it will be worth it.

having been to Alaska once (inside passage cruise, anchorage, kodiak), it most certainly will be.

Offline Count Walewski

I'm shelling out $$$ to do a bunch of activities in Alaska. I'm getting into a little prop plane that lands on a glacier and lets you get out and walk on it. I'm visiting a kennel where Iditarod sled dogs are bred. The freaking bus tour of Denali National Park costs hundreds of dollars. Touring a reindeer farm AND a musk ox farm. Renting ATVs and riding them in the wilderness.

Still much cheaper than Hawaii, but will probably come out as more expensive than any recent international trips. Will probably come out roughly the same cost as our honeymoon, which was 3 weeks in Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan, despite being a week shorter!

• babble on
It's only money, can't take it with you  :money:

To borrow a quote from the great American philosopher, the Reverend Horton Heat, "Smoke 'em if you got 'em"

Offline OldChelsea

European Union weighing proposal to allow entry of vaccinated travellers from outside the bloc: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/eu-vaccine-travel-passports/2021/05/03/4fc0281c-a8f2-11eb-a8a7-5f45ddcdf364_story.html

Offline OldChelsea

The crackdown on inflight alcohol continues...the following review of an Iberia longhaul (in business class) was posted on Skytrax this morning:

'My husband and I, flew Iberia business from Madrid to Santo Domingo last week. Iberia has introduced a consent of one glass of wine with the meal due to COVID. This is ludicrous! There is absolutely no connection between COVID and pouring one or more glasses of wine. It’s frustrating to both passengers and cabin crew who has no way of explaining why such a policy is implemented. I wanted a glass of white with my starter and a glass of red with my lasagna - the second glass was denied me! At best this is a cost saving measure or it’s just plane stupid, invented by someone sitting in a head office somewhere who does not even fly.'

...and as long as the Covid (passenger-crew contact minimisation) defence remains it's going to get worse. (I checked the Iberia website right after reading this and it is indeed the policy.)

• babble on
That's ridiculous.  I flew business class on Brussels Airlines from IAD to Zaventem in 2019 and there was wine on the trolley when breakfast was served (which I happily availed myself of).  Flying sounds like all pain/no gain these days, yuck   

Offline imref

I assume it's a cost-cutting move.

• babble on
Not a very smart one
I assume it's a cost-cutting move.

Offline imref

Not a very smart one

yeah, especially since they could sell the wine