Author Topic: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread  (Read 145143 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread
« Reply #2750: November 12, 2020, 05:26:36 PM »
A cousin in Vesterålen sent a picture he took at midnight on summer solstice...his kids were playing in the yard and there were shadows like one would see in late afternoon here.  I guess you wear shades to bed like Roy Orbison.   

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #2751: November 13, 2020, 08:08:14 AM »
A cousin in Vesterålen sent a picture he took at midnight on summer solstice...his kids were playing in the yard and there were shadows like one would see in late afternoon here.  I guess you wear shades to bed like Roy Orbison.   

My only experience with something like this came in St. Petersburg, Russia in August, where they don't quite have sunshine at midnight but they have this weird dawn-like glow in the sky all night. My hotel room came equipped with thick dark curtains, which I definitely needed in order to sleep.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #2752: November 13, 2020, 08:21:16 AM »
Ha yes I got Global Entry in late December 2019...what an epic waste of money that turned out to be. My global entry interview was the last time I was inside of an airport. At least I got a REAL ID out of it, I believe.

I wasn't flying all that often anymore even prior to the pandemic, but I enrolled in Pre-Check last January, primarily because I was at Penn Station in New York and they had a walk-in location that didn't require an advance appointment. American Express reimbursed me for the enrollment fee, so in the end it doesn't matter much that I haven't had any reason to use it yet.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #2753: November 19, 2020, 08:59:48 AM »
COME SEE WHERE IT ALL BEGAN! City of Wuhan launches tourism promotion campaign: https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/13240633/wuhan-tourist-travel-china-holiday-coronavirus/

Wonder if their deluxe vacation package includes dinner at the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market....

(China Southern Airlines, until recently a member of the Skyteam alliance, at least used to have direct flights to Wuhan from JFK and San Francisco.)

• babble on
« Reply #2754: November 19, 2020, 12:23:58 PM »
Hey, why not.  Everyone has been to Pripyat already.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #2755: November 19, 2020, 12:33:31 PM »
Hey, why not.  Everyone has been to Pripyat already.

Ah, Pripyat... where you don't need to be pregnant for people to comment, 'You're just glowing!'

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #2756: November 20, 2020, 03:38:16 PM »
I had to cancel my trip to Pripyat because of coronavirus...too soon for these jokes :(

Offline OldChelsea

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2758: November 23, 2020, 09:07:22 AM »
Canadian border closure extended to 21st December: https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2020/11/20/us-canada-border-closure-covid/?itid=hp_travel
The Toronto Raptors are going to start their season in Tampa due to this issue.  Not sure what will happen with the NHL. I believe they are considering a new division alignment and would perhaps have an all Canadian division that would only play each other at the start of the season.

Offline OldChelsea

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #2761: November 23, 2020, 01:08:13 PM »
that's not a good thing right now

Not really, when one considers that some airlines are already selling their aircraft to capacity.

Offline MonsterUSMC

• GO NATS! GO TAR HEELS!!!
« Reply #2762: November 23, 2020, 04:17:54 PM »
We just cancelled our Thanksgiving plans due to a COVID scare.  Looks like we will be staying in VA this year. 

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #2763: December 11, 2020, 12:41:41 PM »
Posted earlier today on the Southwest Airlines forum on Skytrax (link to forum: https://www.airlinequality.com/airline-reviews/southwest-airlines/):

'On my first and connection flight they were asking people to wear masks over their nose. I fall asleep on my connecting flight from Baltimore to Maryland. Wake up from a sleep to a flight attendant asking me for my ID. I had no idea what was going on. 2 days later they send me an email banning me from their flights and canceling my return flight. I had not one warning the whole time. I had to book a whole other flight with delta just to make it back home for work. I will never ever fly with Southwest again. They have lost a long time customer.'

[on many Skytrax posts there are times when I'd rather like to hear the other side of the story - this is one such]

• babble on
« Reply #2764: December 11, 2020, 01:06:28 PM »
The last time I flew Southwest was after staying up all night playing blackjack at the Luxor in Vegas...I wound up seated next to a bottle-blonde lady with massive bolt-ons under a tank top.  I conked out shortly after takeoff and discovered when the flight attendant roused me on approach to LAX that I had fallen asleep with my face planted on the lady's chest.  I was mortified but she didn't seem to care.  So much for open seating. 

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #2765: December 11, 2020, 06:04:07 PM »
When I went to Southeast Asia last year we flew Korean Air for 13 hours to Seoul, followed by a 6 hour flight from Seoul to Singapore. I never fall asleep on airplanes, not even when I take sleep aids. Well, as soon as I boarded that 6 hour flight to Singapore, I fell asleep right there in the seat, before the plane even took off.

I was shaken awake moments later by a flight attendant, because they wanted to make sure I was wearing a seat belt. I was. I never fell back asleep.

My wife had to restrain me from making a scene and shouting about how Takeshima belongs to Japan.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2766: December 14, 2020, 08:58:41 PM »
Posted earlier today on the Southwest Airlines forum on Skytrax (link to forum: https://www.airlinequality.com/airline-reviews/southwest-airlines/):

'On my first and connection flight they were asking people to wear masks over their nose. I fall asleep on my connecting flight from Baltimore to Maryland. Wake up from a sleep to a flight attendant asking me for my ID. I had no idea what was going on. 2 days later they send me an email banning me from their flights and canceling my return flight. I had not one warning the whole time. I had to book a whole other flight with delta just to make it back home for work. I will never ever fly with Southwest again. They have lost a long time customer.'

[on many Skytrax posts there are times when I'd rather like to hear the other side of the story - this is one such]

Surprised he could fall asleep on a flight from "Baltimore to Maryland".     :hysterical:

Anyway, that guy is "D Mallon".  I know a D Mallon from my previous workplace, he'd be flying out of BWI for sure. And he was a frequent flyer.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #2767: December 15, 2020, 10:40:35 AM »
My wife has demanded that we go somewhere for the week of Christmas. She says she understands that due to weather and COVID there will be nothing to do, but the exact words she used are "I will be happy just looking at 4 different walls all day".

I found some good deals on VRBOs/Airbnbs on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Anything happening there at all the week of Christmas that I should be aware of?

• babble on
« Reply #2768: December 15, 2020, 11:52:35 AM »
Winter is IMHO the only time to visit Ocean City...it's dirt cheap and reasonably close to Assateague Island.  Personally I hate places like that in the summer but the offseason can be pretty nice.   
My wife has demanded that we go somewhere for the week of Christmas. She says she understands that due to weather and COVID there will be nothing to do, but the exact words she used are "I will be happy just looking at 4 different walls all day".

I found some good deals on VRBOs/Airbnbs on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Anything happening there at all the week of Christmas that I should be aware of?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2769: December 15, 2020, 07:50:06 PM »

See if there's a launch at Wallops Island.

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #2770: December 15, 2020, 10:40:40 PM »

Seeing much of the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum involves walking around outdoors.  There are also indoor exhibits but distancing is possible if they're not crowded. 

Offline imref

« Reply #2771: December 27, 2020, 09:15:13 AM »
If any of you want a truly unique experience, visit the ruins of presidents park just west of Williamsburg.

Here’s the backstory:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/what-43-decaying-president-heads-looks-180958129/

It’s open most weekends (though they are closed in January) for visits organized by a local photographer. The heads sit in a small, very muddy, wheat field so dress accordingly. We visited recently, in addition to the heads they play presidential trivia and give talks about the history of the heads.

Ticket info here:

https://www.eventbrite.com/o/john-plashal-photo-18579174168

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #2772: December 27, 2020, 10:49:24 PM »
If any of you want a truly unique experience, visit the ruins of presidents park just west of Williamsburg.

Here’s the backstory:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/what-43-decaying-president-heads-looks-180958129/

It’s open most weekends (though they are closed in January) for visits organized by a local photographer. The heads sit in a small, very muddy, wheat field so dress accordingly. We visited recently, in addition to the heads they play presidential trivia and give talks about the history of the heads.

Ticket info here:

https://www.eventbrite.com/o/john-plashal-photo-18579174168
I saw a story about this last year, is definitely on my list of random things I’d like to see.

Offline imref

« Reply #2773: December 31, 2020, 09:51:39 AM »
I look forward to seeing this in person some day:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/30/nyregion/moynihan-penn-station.html

Offline imref

« Reply #2774: February 17, 2021, 09:29:05 AM »
@tomrousseyABC7
BREAKING: Head of the airports authority says on-site rapid Covid testing - with immediate results - expected to start at Dulles & Reagan National early next month.
The goal is making people more comfortable to fly again.
Passengers who want a test will pay a fee. #aviation #MWAA