Author Topic: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread  (Read 147792 times)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
I wouldn't describe Rock Island as anything other than a shiitehole. 

Offline Count Walewski

I wouldn't describe Rock Island as anything other than a shiitehole. 

I've never been to the Quad Cities, except for being driven through them once as a kid on a family roadtrip. Excited to see all the tourist attractions there: John Deere HQ, the Colonel Davenport House (in Rock Island, not Davenport), the Vander Veer Botanical Garden, the Fryxell Geology Museum (if Augustana University is open in Sep), and that Lincoln statue located in front of a railroad bridge whose construction was allowed by a lawsuit where Lincoln represented the railroad company against entrenched ferry interests, etc.

Can't find anything to do in Bettendorf, though I will surely enter it just to I can say I've been to all 4 quad cities.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Spent two days in Rock Island and I'd rather be sent to LA County jail as a dirty cop than ever step foot there again.  Just a real boring town that's depressing even in the summer time. 

That said, the Quad Cities pizza is actually really good for what it is.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Think travel to London is coming back soon? Not so fast: https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-how-the-uks-14-day-travel-quarantine-will-work-11992551 - coming 8th June, mandatory 14-day quarantine for all arriving passengers with random spot checks to assure compliance; policy to be reviewed every three weeks thereafter.

I think this is often known as 'locking the stable door after the horse is gone'.

Offline Natsinpwc

Think travel to London is coming back soon? Not so fast: https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-how-the-uks-14-day-travel-quarantine-will-work-11992551 - coming 8th June, mandatory 14-day quarantine for all arriving passengers with random spot checks to assure compliance; policy to be reviewed every three weeks thereafter.

I think this is often known as 'locking the stable door after the horse is gone'.
Sounds like lots of fun. Fly to another country and then stay locked in the hotel room for two weeks or more.

Offline HalfSmokes

Sounds like lots of fun. Fly to another country and then stay locked in the hotel room for two weeks or more.

the Hawaii plan- no refunds, we're open- you just have to spend your honeymoon in quarantine

Offline OldChelsea

Hopefully this will be over when I take my annual London three-weeker in November/December - although at least I could salvage one week out of that if the rule is still on (but it would do nothing for two trips to the Continent I have booked for October, both transiting London. The British thus far have not clarified the rights of passengers transiting beyond a UK airport to the Continent or beyond (unlike the Netherlands, who have said it is OK to transit to a point beyond Amsterdam if your ultimate destination isn't laying any restrictions on you).

Reading various London papers though, this move is generating fierce opposition (not surprisingly from the airlines themselves) - stay tuned.

Offline Natsinpwc

Hopefully this will be over when I take my annual London three-weeker in November/December - although at least I could salvage one week out of that if the rule is still on (but it would do nothing for two trips to the Continent I have booked for October, both transiting London. The British thus far have not clarified the rights of passengers transiting beyond a UK airport to the Continent or beyond (unlike the Netherlands, who have said it is OK to transit to a point beyond Amsterdam if your ultimate destination isn't laying any restrictions on you).

Reading various London papers though, this move is generating fierce opposition (not surprisingly from the airlines themselves) - stay tuned.
Good luck. Keep an eye on that second wave.

We were very lucky to have our Asian trip last year before this all happened. Missed out on Hong King due to the protests. Had tentatively discussed a trip to Europe in 2021 but not so sure now.

Offline OldChelsea

On the other hand: British health secretary says July foreign holidays for Britons may still be possible - https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/matt-hancock-possible-holidays-abroad-july-a4453136.html

Offline OldChelsea

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline RobDibblesGhost

That's the current situation in Alaska, where I'm still hoping to visit in August, as well, though they're transitioning this week to allow travelers who can produce proof a negative test result within 72 hours prior to departure to Alaska to skip the quarantine. They're also going to offer testing at airports for incoming passengers.

Offline Natsinpwc

That's the current situation in Alaska, where I'm still hoping to visit in August, as well, though they're transitioning this week to allow travelers who can produce proof a negative test result within 72 hours prior to departure to Alaska to skip the quarantine. They're also going to offer testing at airports for incoming passengers.
The whole Hawaii thing is interesting.  They have almost no cases now but undoubtedly will if they open up to visitors without a quarantine.  But their while economy is dependent on tourism. 

Offline HalfSmokes

The whole Hawaii thing is interesting.  They have almost no cases now but undoubtedly will if they open up to visitors without a quarantine.  But their while economy is dependent on tourism. 

Even if they quarantine indefinitely military transfers and navy ships docking will bring it there eventually- how long does the army/navy/air force go along with the quarantine before they exempt their own personnel?

Offline Natsinpwc

Even if they quarantine indefinitely military transfers and navy ships docking will bring it there eventually- how long does the army/navy/air force go along with the quarantine before they exempt their own personnel?
Tough call.  My in laws are there.  They are in their mid 80s.  Bored as heck from staying home but now venturing out.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
I have friends from high school who live there.  They say it's a real mess - even worse than NY

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Managed to survive the riots without our entire neighborhood or house burning to the ground so we're going to the Outer Banks for two weeks to keep from setting ourselves on fire.  At this point if the RONA RAGE gonna kill me it's gonna kill me, time to get flying and living baby.  Yo Mathguy - we saw that Pigman and the Outer Banks Brewing Company are both open now so it looks like things are back to normal but thought I'd ask you - anything new to check out?  Are the minigolf courses open yet?

Offline Mathguy

Not alot new, for the pandemic has slowed down new business.  Avalon Pier went through major construction over the winter and is now a nice place to relax.  Some restaurants are still take out.  Rules for getting in restaurants are even more of a factor now - early arrival is a good idea. Definitely bring face masks for grocery & other stores, for employees will be wearing them.  Not sure about the entertainment places, such as miniture golf.  A few places with backyards will have musical events.  But the majority that had performers in other years will not for the time being.

Managed to survive the riots without our entire neighborhood or house burning to the ground so we're going to the Outer Banks for two weeks to keep from setting ourselves on fire.  At this point if the RONA RAGE gonna kill me it's gonna kill me, time to get flying and living baby.  Yo Mathguy - we saw that Pigman and the Outer Banks Brewing Company are both open now so it looks like things are back to normal but thought I'd ask you - anything new to check out?  Are the minigolf courses open yet?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

where in outer banks? Steamers in Southern Shores is one of my favorite places on the planet - https://steamersobx.com/

Offline HalfSmokes

Blue moon in Nags Head is our go to place

https://www.bluemoonbeachgrill.com/

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Steams is quite good. Believe Mathguy hooked me up with the GOAT rec on that Caribbean place in Nags Head.  I think we’ve been to Blue Moon before but I’m not entirely sure. Neither of us drinking makes it difficult to try places that are mostly known for their beer.

Offline Mathguy

Steamers is a nice place, but if you haven't tried Saltbox Cafe then I suggest trying that.  But it is on Collington Road, off MP 8.5.  I know due to traffic, many people segment themselves to places withing a couple of miles of where they are staying.

where in outer banks? Steamers in Southern Shores is one of my favorite places on the planet - https://steamersobx.com/

Offline OldChelsea

British pubs with beer gardens or other outside seating to re-open 22nd June: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/uk-coronavirus-live-latest-updates-boris-johnson-lockdown-a4462191.html

EDIT (9th June): scratch that - pubs not re-opening till 4th July 'at the earliest': https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/retail-outlets-allowed-to-open-on-monday-june-15-alok-sharma-a4464256.html