Author Topic: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread  (Read 145120 times)

Offline houston-nat

Hey travelers!

I am going to describe an imaginary website, and can you please tell me if it exists?

I want a website where you put in your home city, and tell it things like:
- what month you want to book a flight somewhere
- how long you want to be gone, roughly (getaway? a week? two weeks?)

And then it searches all the flight-booking sites and tells you what the good deals are.

Like say I want to go somewhere in August, and I want to be gone for a week, and I'm in Dallas. I put that in, and it tells me, hey, you could fly to Vancouver for 6 days for $379 on XYZ Airline.

That's what I want.

Offline HalfSmokes

absent a destination, it seems like you'll get thousands of tulsa or allentown solutions. Hopper seems close in that it will give you heat maps based on historical pricing, but it needs a destination

http://www.hopper.com/flights/from-WAS/to-LHR/guide

Offline houston-nat

absent a destination, it seems like you'll get thousands of tulsa or allentown solutions.

Yeah, it would be nice if the results were presented as a map. Kayak has an "explore" thing where you can check off domestic/international, but then it tells me that to get the good airfare I have to be gone for like 29 days and have 5 layovers.

Offline dracnal

Hey travelers!

I am going to describe an imaginary website, and can you please tell me if it exists?

I want a website where you put in your home city, and tell it things like:
- what month you want to book a flight somewhere
- how long you want to be gone, roughly (getaway? a week? two weeks?)

And then it searches all the flight-booking sites and tells you what the good deals are.

Like say I want to go somewhere in August, and I want to be gone for a week, and I'm in Dallas. I put that in, and it tells me, hey, you could fly to Vancouver for 6 days for $379 on XYZ Airline.

That's what I want.

I think they're called 'Travel Agents'

Online skippy1999

• Believe!!!
I think they're called 'Travel Agents'

:old:

Lol j/k, I still use a travel agent to book my boss's flights, it ticks him off but he's so freaking particular and I don't have the patience to sift through Orbitz or Hotwire or whatever finding him the optimal flight times, $30 is money well spent to have someone else do that, especially when it's not my money :lol:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
out of office Friday through next Friday.  on "leave" and holiday.  That means I only have to review one brief and one 200 page document over the weekend.  I might not review the other 4 documents for my 10 AM Tuesday meeting because I saw the first version.  They are short anyway.  I'll most likely blow off the other document that is subject to a court order because it is not until early june that I have to get in comments.  My vacation.

On the bright side, JCA's Dad is having a 95th birthday party Sunday.  :w: 00+!

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
out of office Friday through next Friday.  on "leave" and holiday.  That means I only have to review one brief and one 200 page document over the weekend.  I might not review the other 4 documents for my 10 AM Tuesday meeting because I saw the first version.  They are short anyway.  I'll most likely blow off the other document that is subject to a court order because it is not until early june that I have to get in comments.  My vacation.

Happy Birthday to your dad.   

Online Natsinpwc

Cool; have fun.  95 is mighty impressive 

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Congratulations.  I would like to have met him

Online skippy1999

• Believe!!!

What a milestone, awesome :clap: has Pepe's opened there yet so he can have good pizza on such a momentous occasion?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
What a milestone, awesome :clap: has Pepe's opened there yet so he can have good pizza on such a momentous occasion?
I'll check it out.  If not now, then I hope around 7/4.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

fantastic!

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
That's great, have a great time. My 100-year old grandmother lives fairly nearby, and she needs a croquet partner for the annual Memorial Day tourney if he's a ringer  :D

Offline HalfSmokes

Loving Avon on the outer banks, great beaches without any crush of people

Offline Mathguy

This was a good week for you to visit - next week may be different due to schools out.  I hope you read about the new bridge that will be built to get to Hatteras Island

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Totally forgot what a pain in the ass driving in Skokie is like on Saturday. Way too many blackhats for me.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Totally forgot what a pain in the ass driving in Skokie is like on Saturday. Way too many blackhats for me.

:spit:  I grew up there...left in 1975...

• babble on
I understand people being there (there are people in the most inhospitable places on earth after all - eskimos, bedouins, kalahari bushmen & whatnot), but this is a vacation thread, which implies intent rather than simply fate. Why? Why??

Offline NJ Ave

Good to hear. We're heading to Frisco for the first time this summer. Never been south of Nags Head.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
I understand people being there (there are people in the most inhospitable places on earth after all - eskimos, bedouins, kalahari bushmen & whatnot), but this is a vacation thread, which implies intent rather than simply fate. Why? Why??

Seconded...

Offline Mathguy

It won't be as crowded as Nags Head, but will be more crowded than it has been this week.  The vacation rush to OBX is just about to start on Saturday

Good to hear. We're heading to Frisco for the first time this summer. Never been south of Nags Head.

Offline HalfSmokes

The drive south is really nice, dunes on one side, marsh/inlet on the other

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Anyone ever been to the Dakotas?  Any suggestions other than Mt Rushmore?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Anyone ever been to the Dakotas?  Any suggestions other than Mt Rushmore?

Drove across country and did the western SD and eastern WY thing.    I loved Devil's Tower.    See Close Encounters before you go.

• babble on
Badlands national park in SD is quite stunning.