Author Topic: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread  (Read 147637 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Nice - I was in Colorado last week (no I'm not a flight attendant, just in between jobs LOL)...it was frigging 65 degrees at 13,000 feet last monday. That is whack - and dangerous (wet avalanches). Should be more stable now. Have a great trip.

That's funny VaRK, my daughter and son in law spent their honeymoon in Greece as well in 2013 but also spent a week before in Barcelona.  They were in Santorini for 4 days and then 3 days in Athens, my daughter adored Santorini and the pictures were absolutely amazing but she was so worn out by the end she didn't appreciate Athens nearly enough :smh: She Facetimed me from her hotel there and stuck her phone out the window so I could see the Parthenon, I was thrilled she was right there and she was like "whatever", ruins are much more my thing than hers  :?

I'm going on a holiday tomorrow to Colorado to see my son and also my daughter and grandson who got there today, I've never been before and cannot wait :woop:  It snowed this morning but hopefully that's the end of that nonsense  :lol:

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Nice - I was in Colorado last week (no I'm not a flight attendant, just in between jobs LOL)...it was frigging 65 degrees at 13,000 feet last monday. That is whack - and dangerous (wet avalanches). Should be more stable now. Have a great trip.

Thanks! yea my son was telling me how warm the weather was so having my daughter send me pics today of snow kind of threw me, I waited to go see him so that the snow would be OVA but he assured me it was a sneak attack and would be warmer by tomorrow.  Also I went back and checked and it was the Acropolis that my daughter was staying near, I knew Parthenon didn't sound right, you can see it up on the hill in this pic. I thought it was nuts that I was talking with her 1/2 way across the world and was more thrilled than she was at what I was looking at :lol:  Seriously Ali take Frau and go to Greece if you can!!! 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
San Diego for a week at the end of August.  I'm bringing my road bike so anyone know of any sights I should take in that aren't Petco, fish taco stands, TJ whorehouses, or John Reis house?

Offline Natsinpwc

San Diego for a week at the end of August.  I'm bringing my road bike so anyone know of any sights I should take in that aren't Petco, fish taco stands, TJ whorehouses, or John Reis house?
Balboa Park.  Ride up the coast.

Offline Dave B

Eat at el gordo in national city. The tripe tacos might have been the best thing I have ever eaten

Offline 1995hoo

In late September, we'll be in Albuqueque for four days, then driving up to the Valley of the Gods in Utah (overnight at a bed-and-breakfast there near the Moki Dugway), then driving through Monument Valley en route to the Grand Canyon (overnight there), then down to Phoenix for four days visiting relatives. Any suggestions on things to be sure to see in the Albuquerque/Santa Fe area? My wife is going to a convention, so I'll have most of the time on my own. They already have an event planned at the Sandia Peak Tramway (I believe it involves riding the tramway, seeing the view, and having dinner at a nearby restaurant), and someone told me to check out Petroglyph National Monument. But otherwise, I don't know much about that area, never been out there and don't know what's there. I have a AAA book but haven't really looked at it much yet.

Any suggestions? I need to limit myself to places easily done out-and-back in a day so as to be back for dinner in the evenings (so Carlsbad Caverns is, unfortunately, not happening).

Offline dracnal

My brother (admittedly a science geek - did satellites/tracking/missile targetting for the AF) suggests the White Sands/Los Alamos museum.  If you find the Manhattan Project and that era in history interesting, it's worth a look.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

May be a new SEAL class starting about that time.   :)

Cabrillo Point National Park is a long ride out from downtown but it's a nice view.

Offline houston-nat

1995hoo, my family and I did that road trip back in 2009, I think. Don't miss Valles Caldera preserve in northern New Mexico, one of those freakishly beautiful spots the wild west specializes in. It's an old volcanic caldera (and I mean old), and when we visited there were herds of wild animals wandering around the basin. Quick hiking trail.

Santa Fe has great art galleries dedicated to everything from Georgia O'Keeffe to Chuck Jones (a.k.a. the Looney Tunes guy). The town square has a Civil War monument with, as I recall, a really glaring typo. Taos is great if you like hippies, or if you like making fun of hippies.

Do you like Breaking Bad? You can always hit up some filming locations, like Walter's house, or the Grove Cafe, where Walter and Laura meet in the final season, which as it happens is a pretty awesome lunch spot where my folks and I had some terrific sandwiches. I think they actually filmed the scene there because they already liked eating there.

White Sands is awesome but my friend dropped her keys and never found them again, so if you go to White Sands, don't drop anything. And here's another thing I can say from personal experience, if you go to the aliens museum in Roswell and laugh at everything, they WILL kick you out.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
 :hysterical:
And here's another thing I can say from personal experience, if you go to the aliens museum in Roswell and laugh at everything, they WILL kick you out.

Offline 1995hoo

Thanks. I think Roswell and White Sands are probably too far for a day trip based on what I see on the map. I'll definitely head up to Santa Fe one day.

Never seen Breaking Bad, so that wouldn't mean much to me.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I think the road alongside the river park on the south side of the old town of Santa Fe has the greatest concentration of art studios outside of New York. I forget the name of the road, something non-descript like Valley Road or something like that.  Good eats in Santa Fe, too.  Breakfast Burritos at Mothers, I think, but really anywhere.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Old town
La jolla
Coronado
I'll post some restaurant recommendations later.

USS Midway is a must.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Thanks. I think Roswell and White Sands are probably too far for a day trip based on what I see on the map. I'll definitely head up to Santa Fe one day.

Never seen Breaking Bad, so that wouldn't mean much to me.

Bandolier National Monument is definitely worth a day trip.

Offline mitlen

No plane trips to Denver for me. 

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/04/13/cbs4-investigation-tsa-screeners-at-dia-manipulated-system-to-grope-mens-genitals/

I'm not necessarily anti-government or a small government person but geeeeezus, what a dysfunctional thing we have goin' on.

Offline Natsinpwc

I'm not necessarily anti-government or a small government person but geeeeezus, what a dysfunctional thing we have goin' on.
Equal rights I guess.  Think others have been caught before groping females.

Offline mitlen

Equal rights I guess.  Think others have been caught before groping females.

I meant "government" generally   ....   It may be my Social Security adventure is tainting my opinion.    Then there's the IRS, Selective Service, Congress, DEA, Border Patrol, Secret Service, etc.   ....   :)

Offline Natsinpwc

I meant "government" generally   ....   It may be my Social Security adventure is tainting my opinion.    Then there's the IRS, Selective Service, Congress, DEA, Border Patrol, Secret Service, etc.   ....   :)
My car was damaged a couple weeks ago in a post office parking lot due to a spike I didn't see sticking out of a concrete parking barrier. They had put a plastic sign over it which had blown away. Someone there filled out a claim form and I attached a statement. Haven't heard anything in two weeks and spoke to the first live human today despite calls and left messages at different locations. Meanwhile got three estimates and had it fixed; minor damage and just a little over 100. Fender needed adjusting. The person who does these claims for USPS is of course out this week!  The person I spoke with today said it could take up to 3 months to resolve. I wanted to tell her I was surprised they could do that quickly but but my tongue.

Offline mitlen

My car was damaged a couple weeks ago in a post office parking lot due to a spike I didn't see sticking out of a concrete parking barrier. They had put a plastic sign over it which had blown away. Someone there filled out a claim form and I attached a statement. Haven't heard anything in two weeks and spoke to the first live human today despite calls and left messages at different locations. Meanwhile got three estimates and had it fixed; minor damage and just a little over 100. Fender needed adjusting. The person who does these claims for USPS is of course out this week!  The person I spoke with today said it could take up to 3 months to resolve. I wanted to tell her I was surprised they could do that quickly but but my tongue.

Sounds an awful lot like my SSA adventure   ...   thus far.    :)

Offline Natsinpwc

Sounds an awful lot like my SSA adventure   ...   thus far.    :)
they don't realize I have lots of time on my hands.

Offline mitlen

they don't realize I have lots of time on my hands.

....   and they're makin' the most of it.    :)     I told the missus they don't realize, "I got all day."

Offline Natsinpwc

....   and they're makin' the most of it.    :)     I told the missus they don't realize, "I got all day."
At least until the Nats game is on.  Or maybe I should give those up.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Just got back from Gulf Shores, AL.  I-81 sinkhole was a nightmare but other than that, the "Redneck Riviera" is well worth the trip.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Just got back from Gulf Shores, AL.  I-81 sinkhole was a nightmare but other than that, the "Redneck Riviera" is well worth the trip.

Right down the road from me :thumbs:  did you hit up the Florabama?