Author Topic: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread  (Read 147772 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
I was trying to troll JCA or any other Boston fans, I love the Cape. Been going to Woods Hole since I was a kid.

Offline Kevrock

Sorry Minty - can't agree with you here.  Having grown up in CT, I spent lots of time at the cape.  OBX is better for the beach

The Cape has the best baseball on the planet.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I was trying to troll JCA or any other Boston fans, I love the Cape. Been going to Woods Hole since I was a kid.
I'm actually more of a Maine guy than a Cape guy as far places to escape to.

Offline madj55

Cape Cod > Any other place on Earth
Hilton Head Island >

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Sorry Minty - can't agree with you here.  Having grown up in CT, I spent lots of time at the cape.  OBX is better for the beach

Then you went to the wrong beaches on the Cape.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
The Cape has the best baseball on the planet.

And it's not close.

Offline Kevrock

Then you went to the wrong beaches on the Cape.

School me. I loved the national seashore the last time I was there. Gorgeous and huge, you can just walk away from the people.

Offline Kevrock

Next MDS is going to come in here like Great Lakes > Cape Cod

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Snake River > Salt Water Shiite.

Offline blue911

Kingman Island > Cape Cod

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
You haven't lived until you've seen the falls in Lewiston change colors depending on what color the textile mill is dying the wool that day.  Of course, that was 40+ years ago, back when there were mills on the Androscoggin.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
School me. I loved the national seashore the last time I was there. Gorgeous and huge, you can just walk away from the people.

The North and South beaches in Orleans (Oceanside) are unbelieveable.  A lot less "rocky" than Coast Guard and Nauset Light (The Seashore Beaches) but they're a pain in the ass to get to (it helps to know a local with a sticker).  Race Point in P-Town is an incredible place where you can watch the sunrise and the sunset over the water and never leave your towel.

Most Bay side beaches are tough because low tide is really low, but First Encounter Beach in North Eastham is about as good as it gets for Bay swimming.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Next MDS is going to come in here like Great Lakes > Cape Cod

:lmao: 

Cape Cod is fully of yuppie white needledicks, I'll give him that...

Offline Kevrock

The North and South beaches in Orleans (Oceanside) are unbelieveable.  A lot less "rocky" than Coast Guard and Nauset Light (The Seashore Beaches) but they're a pain in the ass to get to (it helps to know a local with a sticker).  Race Point in P-Town is an incredible place where you can watch the sunrise and the sunset over the water and never leave your towel.

Most Bay side beaches are tough because low tide is really low, but First Encounter Beach in North Eastham is about as good as it gets for Bay swimming.

Thanks much.

Wow I love the Cape, and won't make it this year unfortunately. Bart Scott to take my son up there for some Cape League games. Falmouth is the home team, but always went to more Cotuit games growing up. Still some parks I haven't visited.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Thanks much.

Wow I love the Cape, and won't make it this year unfortunately. Bart Scott to take my son up there for some Cape League games. Falmouth is the home team, but always went to more Cotuit games growing up. Still some parks I haven't visited.

Silver Beach in Falmouth is a great beach for the Lower Cape, but if you really want to take in the best of Cape Cod you need to hit from about Chatham to Provincetown.  If you can handle crowds, my hometown beach of Nauset in East Orleans is still the best IMO.

I grew up in Orleans going Cardinals games (of course, they're the Firebirds now since the St. Louis Cardinals felt Orleans was infringing on their fan base . . . :? ) and have been to a ton of games at Chatham and Harwich as well.  And if you go to the outer Cape for some games in Orleans, stop by my brother's business and give his pulled pork poutine a try!

http://www.orleansbowlingcenter.com/

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Poutine!!!

Is P-town still one of the great bastions of buff guys in banana hammocks? I haven't been there in ages, but that's how I remember it.

Offline Kevrock

They'll always be the Cardinals to me.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Poutine!!!

Is P-town still one of the great bastions of buff guys in banana hammocks? I haven't been there in ages, but that's how I remember it.

It is.  The parades are unreal. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
They'll always be the Cardinals to me.

Same here.  Though I do have a Firebirds hat.

• babble on
Anyone been to Greece recently? Any thoughts on % time in Athens vs elsewhere?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Anyone been to Greece recently? Any thoughts on % time in Athens vs elsewhere?

The kids spent their 3 week honeymoon there in September / October 2011.  They only spent 2 days in Athens and thought they probably should have spent at least another...maybe even 2 more days as they rushed to see everything they could.

They spent a week at a friends condo in Loutraki - about an hour west of Athens by car - and the rest of the time island hopping.  They said that Santorini was the best place they visited...without question.

These were 27 and 24 year old's, so your mileage may vary...

• babble on
Good info, thanks. I haven't been to Greece since Aegeus was king and the freaking trireme ran out of wine.
I rented an Airbnb flat in Athens for 4 nights and then deliberately left it in the air after that. I think some islands will be in order. With the USD$ being at a near-record high vs the Euro, everything appears to be way cheaper than the last time I was in the euro zone in '13. Decided to cash in whatever miles I had left with Star Alliance before they debase the currency yet again  :evil: 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Good info, thanks. I haven't been to Greece since Aegeus was king and the freaking trireme ran out of wine.
I rented an Airbnb flat in Athens for 4 nights and then deliberately left it in the air after that. I think some islands will be in order. With the USD$ being at a near-record high vs the Euro, everything appears to be way cheaper than the last time I was in the euro zone in '13. Decided to cash in whatever miles I had left with Star Alliance before they debase the currency yet again  :evil:

Enjoy.  The kids loved every moment of their trip...except driving on the "wrong" side of some very narrow roads...

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
That's funny VaRK, my daughter and son in law spent their honeymoon in Greece as well in 2013 but also spent a week before in Barcelona.  They were in Santorini for 4 days and then 3 days in Athens, my daughter adored Santorini and the pictures were absolutely amazing but she was so worn out by the end she didn't appreciate Athens nearly enough :smh: She Facetimed me from her hotel there and stuck her phone out the window so I could see the Parthenon, I was thrilled she was right there and she was like "whatever", ruins are much more my thing than hers  :?

I'm going on a holiday tomorrow to Colorado to see my son and also my daughter and grandson who got there today, I've never been before and cannot wait :woop:  It snowed this morning but hopefully that's the end of that nonsense  :lol:

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
That's funny VaRK, my daughter and son in law spent their honeymoon in Greece as well in 2013 but also spent a week before in Barcelona.  They were in Santorini for 4 days and then 3 days in Athens, my daughter adored Santorini and the pictures were absolutely amazing but she was so worn out by the end she didn't appreciate Athens nearly enough :smh: She Facetimed me from her hotel there and stuck her phone out the window so I could see the Parthenon, I was thrilled she was right there and she was like "whatever", ruins are much more my thing than hers  :?

I'm going on a holiday tomorrow to Colorado to see my son and also my daughter and grandson who got there today, I've never been before and cannot wait :woop:  It snowed this morning but hopefully that's the end of that nonsense  :lol:

Have a wonderful time...  :thumbs: