Author Topic: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread  (Read 145115 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread
« Reply #75: February 25, 2014, 11:36:39 AM »
I suggest you try a sampler of Russia House's infused vodkas before writing the whole category off.  The horseradish and garlic vodkas are really tasty. 
flavored vodka shots are something I could do without

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #76: February 25, 2014, 11:41:56 AM »
I suggest you try a sampler of Russia House's infused vodkas before writing the whole category off.  The horseradish and garlic vodkas are really tasty. 

l used to go there occasionally before kids. Now, if I'm spending good money on drinks, I want something I can sip and enjoy with a comfortable chair and a noise level where I can hear my friends, preferably outside. Then again, going out to drink now usually means either beers over a neighbor's bbq or going to the pool and grilling with beers

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #77: February 25, 2014, 11:50:21 AM »
Lithuania, 16th-26th June. Only remaining Baltic country (apart from Russia) I haven't visited, and I'll also be missing a four-match Nats Park visit from the Braves and their mental-defective supporters.

• babble on
« Reply #78: February 25, 2014, 11:54:56 AM »
Excellent planning
I'll also be missing a four-match Nats Park visit from the Braves and their mental-defective supporters.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #79: February 25, 2014, 09:04:50 PM »
My bro's taking my nephew to Normandy for June 4-8.

• babble on
« Reply #80: February 25, 2014, 10:02:35 PM »
Wow.  I went to Juno Beach in June '84.  Powerful. 
My bro's taking my nephew to Normandy for June 4-8.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #81: February 26, 2014, 07:52:31 AM »
Going to China May 24 - June 3, then Japan through June 12. Thankfully I'm traveling with a good friend who speaks some Chinese and a little Japanese. It'll be my first time going to Asia as well.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #82: February 26, 2014, 09:50:00 AM »
Going to China May 24 - June 3, then Japan through June 12. Thankfully I'm traveling with a good friend who speaks some Chinese and a little Japanese. It'll be my first time going to Asia as well.
Sounds like fun; I have traveled extensively in Asia although not for many years. Been to Tokyo; never in China except for Hong Kong. People are nice and will assist you if you can't understand signs or look lost.  Don't forget to bargain when you buy things; even in stores.  They will be offended if you don't!  People don't queue up in bus and subway stations, etc.  Just their culture and they are not being rude to you.  I also recall leaving tips in Japan and having people look at me funny; then read it was not normal to tip for meals.  Of ocurse that was like 30 years ago so read up on that kind of stuff before you go.   

• babble on
« Reply #83: February 26, 2014, 10:29:04 AM »
That's the middle of the Japanese baseball season...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #84: February 26, 2014, 02:34:25 PM »
I watched the Nippon Ham Fighters play someone back in April or May 1985 when I was there on business; we were unable to get tickets to the Giants but I did get a Gianst souvenir baseball I still have.

It was lots of fun and I remember they brought around whiskey to sell in addition to beer!

• babble on
« Reply #85: February 26, 2014, 02:56:25 PM »
Excellent - that's definitely on my bucket list. 
I watched the Nippon Ham Fighters play someone back in April or May 1985 when I was there on business; we were unable to get tickets to the Giants but I did get a Gianst souvenir baseball I still have.

It was lots of fun and I remember they brought around whiskey to sell in addition to beer!

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #86: February 26, 2014, 08:15:04 PM »
I'm hoping I can convince my friend to go to at least half a game. I think it'd be amazing, and I'd love to see a NPB game.

Natsinpwc, thanks for your story!! I will definitely try to read up a bit on how to do things. I look forward to eating all the good food....

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #87: February 26, 2014, 09:45:31 PM »
I'm hoping I can convince my friend to go to at least half a game. I think it'd be amazing, and I'd love to see a NPB game.

Natsinpwc, thanks for your story!! I will definitely try to read up a bit on how to do things. I look forward to eating all the good food....
I spent five weeks in Tokyo.  Again this was many years ago but most places had plastic displays of their main dishes so I could always point to what I wanted if there was no English menu.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Wow.  I went to Juno Beach in June '84.  Powerful.

60 years hence now and most of the vets are early 80's, in another decade few will be around, much less able to travel.

He's going to chat up a few of the old guys, drink copious amounts of local wines and live the moment.

• babble on
No sir, 70 years hence.  My FIL lied about his age to join after Pearl Harbour and his 90th B-day is later this month. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
90s, not 80s, either.  If you just turned 20 on 6/6/1944, then you'd be 89 today.

Offline houston-nat

Any recommendations on hiking boots? I'm climbing a volcano in Guatemala next week...

Offline HalfSmokes

I'm a big fan of Merrells, they also tend to break in fast which is good if you need them fast.

• babble on
Depends how much gear you'll be carrying...if you are carrying a heavy pack over rough terrain, heavy leather boots (such as Vasque) have the best grip and support.  If not, I would go for lighter mesh w/ gore tex boots (I have a pair of Asolos I picked up for like $100 from Sierra that have served me well on several trips to Costa Rica). 

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Ask cope... he might be able to hook you up.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Ask cope... he might be able to hook you up.

Yeah, we just had a discussion on boots.  Cope and I both vote Salomon, but the right boot is the one that fits you best as well as being durable enough for the intended purpose.  Day hiking is not the same as a heavy backpacking expedition. 

Offline houston-nat

Probably not going to do anything super heavy-duty for a while, but will be using it for long or rough walks on a few vacations. There's a decent chance that I do serious hiking in 2015, though.

Offline UMDNats

Haven't had a vacation since spring break 2012 with my family. Literally can't wait to actually get a few days at the beach this summer.

Offline houston-nat

Okay, I guess I don't need to buy those hiking boots just yet since the volcano my friends and I were going to climb IS FREAKING ERUPTING RIGHT NOW.