Author Topic: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread  (Read 145080 times)

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
Leaving this coming Tuesday (9th) for a week in Riga.

Nice. Have you been there before?

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile

Nice. Have you been there before?

Haven't yet, but I was in Tallinn three years ago and liked it quite a bit. Also studying some Latvian for this trip - a fascinating language.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Indo European, yeah? 
Haven't yet, but I was in Tallinn three years ago and liked it quite a bit. Also studying some Latvian for this trip - a fascinating language.

Offline OldChelsea

Indo European, yeah? 

Quite right - a very basic Indo-European retaining many primitve forms, which makes it (and Lithuanian which is even more primitive) of great interest to linguists.

Offline HalfSmokes

Based on that,,  I'm guessing not a fan of Finland or Hungary?

Offline OldChelsea

Based on that,,  I'm guessing not a fan of Finland or Hungary?

Have actually been to both (the latter twice).

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
It's an exceptionally rare 2-vacation year for me.  2 weeks ago we started a week in the Outer Banks - Salvo, down between Cape Hatteras and Oregon Inlet.  In early August my son and I are joining 3 other dads with their 18 year old sons in an 8 day backpacking excursion into the Wind River Range in Wyoming.  It's considered to be an exceptional trout fishery, lakes and streams with very little pressure and full of brook, rainbow, golden, lake cutthroat, and hybrid trout.  We'll have time for a quick overnight in Yellowstone as well, 

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Funny - since we live in OBX, vacations are coming to DC to see the Nationals and our friends

It's an exceptionally rare 2-vacation year for me.  2 weeks ago we started a week in the Outer Banks - Salvo, down between Cape Hatteras and Oregon Inlet.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
I've been on "vacation" since October 1, 2012 (laid off/semi-retired).     It sucks but the hours are great.    The missus is trying to pressure me into getting a job.     I don't like pressure.

I went to visit my niece over the 4h.   She lives near Detroit.   Got to see the original Motown studios.    Went out to the lakes district and did some kayaking.   

Excuse me, I have to go dry off.   Just got back from the pool.    Damn umemployment !

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
Taking the camper and the kids to Conewago Isle, PA this coming weekend. My brother is joining us.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread
« Reply #60: February 24, 2014, 08:23:21 PM »
Anybody got any decent 2014 plans?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #61: February 24, 2014, 08:32:38 PM »

The Steel City for our 30th wedding anniversary in May (Nats/Bucs series), and back to Hawaii (via Las Vegas) in August for my wife's 45th HS reunion.

Had to cancel our week at spring training...  :(

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #62: February 24, 2014, 08:35:55 PM »
I won't be able to top my Wyoming backcountry expedition, but it looks like we're going to be able to swing a Seattle/San Juan Islands trip this year.  Spend a long weekend around Seattle area, maybe a side day trip to Mount Rainier, then Monday-Friday on one of the Islands, then back to Seattle and out.  Seafood, anyone?  Not to mention the insane microbeer environment.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #63: February 24, 2014, 08:41:58 PM »
Seafood, anyone?

Looking forward to fresh Ahi sashimi in Hawaii...Da Kine!

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #64: February 24, 2014, 08:42:38 PM »
I won't be able to top my Wyoming backcountry expedition, but it looks like we're going to be able to swing a Seattle/San Juan Islands trip this year.  Spend a long weekend around Seattle area, maybe a side day trip to Mount Rainier, then Monday-Friday on one of the Islands, then back to Seattle and out.  Seafood, anyone?  Not to mention the insane microbeer environment.

I hope you're typing as you watch MD/SYR.    :)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #65: February 24, 2014, 08:46:01 PM »
3 trips to DC as we swap houses.  We get to see the ballgames and they get a cheap beach vacation

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #66: February 24, 2014, 08:52:16 PM »
I hope you're typing as you watch MD/SYR.    :)

Yeah, not a bad game.   

:shock:

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #67: February 24, 2014, 08:52:38 PM »

freak yes.

March '14 - four days in Guatemala on spring break with friends
May '14 - ten days in Copenhagen and Stockholm with someone I met on ChatRoulette*
July '14 - 16 days in Paris visiting friends who live there, with a weekend in London and a few visits to wine countries

I took literally zero days off in 2013, so I have a lot of vacation time to burn at work.

*we've met, she's not a serial killer

• babble on
« Reply #68: February 24, 2014, 11:56:43 PM »
July in Paris?  Hope you are there for the TdF finale.  Or Bastille Day.  Or both. 

freak yes.

March '14 - four days in Guatemala on spring break with friends
May '14 - ten days in Copenhagen and Stockholm with someone I met on ChatRoulette*
July '14 - 16 days in Paris visiting friends who live there, with a weekend in London and a few visits to wine countries

I took literally zero days off in 2013, so I have a lot of vacation time to burn at work.

*we've met, she's not a serial killer

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #69: February 25, 2014, 08:55:06 AM »
Arrive July 4, leave July 20, will be there for Bastille Day. The Tour de France starts in central England (!!!) this year, but it looks like I will be able to avoid it entirely, or if I want I can coordinate my day of getting smashed on champagne at Reims with the day they race there.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #70: February 25, 2014, 09:25:03 AM »

Stockholm kicks ass. The food is great (huge refugee population + Scandinavian cooking = goodness), few american tourists sweating through the pudge obscuring their fanny packs, and a really cool old town, the only downside is that booze costs a fortune (as does everything else).

• babble on
« Reply #71: February 25, 2014, 09:30:02 AM »
80% of the traffic on that new bridge to Denmark is 'booze tourism' from the sounds of it.
Stockholm kicks ass. The food is great (huge refugee population + Scandinavian cooking = goodness), few american tourists sweating through the pudge obscuring their fanny packs, and a really cool old town, the only downside is that booze costs a fortune (as does everything else).

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #72: February 25, 2014, 10:23:52 AM »
I am excited to go to this bar www.garlicandshots.com

• babble on

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #74: February 25, 2014, 10:37:09 AM »
flavored vodka shots are something I could do without