Author Topic: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread  (Read 148009 times)

Offline wj73

Re: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread
« Reply #500: February 23, 2016, 08:56:37 AM »

One of my best friend's sons just accepted a commission aboard an attack sub in the Pacific, he was lured to the submarine service by the reportedly much better food.    :hysterical:

A few years ago I visited the Manitowoc Maritime Museum in Wisconsin.  Manitowoc is right on Lake Michigan, and they built WWII subs there, figuring it was better to build them in the middle of the country where they'd be safer from German attacks.  (They took the subs from Lake Michigan down the Mississippi to get ocean access).  The museum has a sub from that era you can tour.  At the end of the tour, we got to meet a old fellow who served on that sub during WWII.  It was great - he told some interesting stories, including a harrowing one about the night Germans dropped depth charges for hours as they were on the ocean floor playing possum.  They never knew if the next depth charge was going to be the one to get them, but eventually the Germans gave up and moved on, and all hands were safe.  Someone asked him why he chose to be a submariner, and he said it was because they got the best food.  Some things never change, I guess.