Author Topic: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread  (Read 147822 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread
« Reply #3400: September 16, 2022, 09:48:35 AM »
The ride out from the DC area via I-68 is very nice also.  Scenic and almost no traffic. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3401: September 16, 2022, 10:09:35 AM »
We just got back from our big road trip which featured 7 days on a houseboat in Voyageur National Park.  We took 3 days each to get there, and 3 more to get back.

Day 1 - DC to Ann Arbor.  We had an average meal in the downtown area where there was a concentration of restaurants with outdoor seating, very pleasant and abounding with colorful characters.  Lots of Colorado State fans on the eve of their team's slaughter.

Day 2 - Drove north to Munising, on Lake Superior, crossing the Mackinac Bridge with Lake Huron to the right and Lake Michigan to the left.  Spectacular!  Mackinaw City on the south shore had lots of casual dining options and shops to poke around in.  We were really feeling retired and free to be able to just take a couple of hours to stroll around.  Munising is just outside Pictured Rocks National Seashore, we stopped for a visit to Munising Falls before checking into our Inn.  We had a very nice but very expensive dinner in the Inn, our one extravagance on the trip.  Munising lacks diverse dining options but the setting on the lakeshore is fabulous.  Caught some "Chicago" blues that evening, great way to end a wonderful day.

Highlight - seeing 3 Great lakes in a single day!

Day 3  On to Ely Minnesota, just a couple of hours from Voyageur where we could finalize our shopping for perishable foods or anything else we forgot.

Day 4- 10 - Departed Ash River on a 51' houseboat and toured VNP for 7 nights and days.   There's a lot to talk about, but some highlights:
Seeing northern lights for the first time.  They had the courtesy to show up by 9:30 pm so we didn't even have to stay up late!
Hearing wolves in the wild for the first time
Catching my personal best 31" Northern Pike

I quickly learned how to pilot the boat, most critically how to maneuver it into it's resting place each evening.  No anchoring allowed, we had to find an allowable mooring site to beach it and tie off to trees or mooring rings each day. 

The houseboat trip isn't what I would call a wilderness experience.  We would have canoe camped in nearby Quetico Provincial Park if we wanted that, but this trip was ideal for couples for which not everyone would want a hardcore backcountry experience.    There were 5 of us for the whole week, plus one couple's son joined us for 2 days.  The son is traveling the US camping in all 50 states, and producing Youtube videos to catalog his experiences.  So here is his video on the 2 days he was with us at Voyageur:

The houseboat experience was pretty fun and reasonably affordable.  Our share of the cost  (2 people) was about $2,500 all in (not including any of out 6 days to travel to or from Voyageurs.  This included our food & beverages (including a fair amount of whiskey).  No more, and probably a bit less than renting a beach house in the OBX for a week.

Return trip was pretty dull by comparison, we opted for the shortest path which passes through Chicago.  We spent first night in Chippewa Falls, 2nd in South Bend and last night visited a friend in Morgantown WV.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #3402: September 16, 2022, 10:39:03 AM »
sounds awesome, any fishing?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3403: September 16, 2022, 10:53:15 AM »
sounds awesome, any fishing?

Got a few decent smallmouth (watch video for 1) and probably 8-10 pike, biggest 31".  No walleye, there were quite a few boats out there trolling or using fishfinders to pinpoint locations, we were fishing out of a canoe or shoreline/wading.  Pike were by far most accessible species, grassy backs of coves being where we were moored and their preferred habitat.  I wouldn't go there just for the fishing, I don't think it's as fertile as other places (like the Cisco chain in UP Michigan).

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #3404: September 16, 2022, 07:25:49 PM »
they were saying the line visiting her coffin was 8 km (5 miles)

Anyone interested can follow the livestream update (from gov.uk)...

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #3405: September 16, 2022, 09:37:40 PM »
Anyone interested can follow the livestream update (from gov.uk)...

Are you going to pay your respects? David Beckham did :)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #3406: September 16, 2022, 09:51:13 PM »
She would have done the same for him
Are you going to pay your respects? David Beckham did :)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #3407: September 16, 2022, 10:02:07 PM »
She would have done the same for him
LOL

I would not wait in line for 24 hours to see the Beatles reunited if Lennon and Harrison were brought back from the grave. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #3408: September 16, 2022, 10:03:47 PM »
LOL

I would not wait in line for 24 hours to see the Beatles reunited if Lennon and Harrison were brought back from the grave. 
got to admit it would be tempting, at least for me.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #3409: September 16, 2022, 10:16:45 PM »
got to admit it would be tempting, at least for me.
The Beatles or the Queen?

Offline imref

« Reply #3410: September 16, 2022, 11:03:54 PM »
The Beatles or the Queen?

Queen opening for the Beatles.

Offline blue911

« Reply #3411: September 17, 2022, 06:23:03 AM »
Queen opening for the Beatles.

John Deacon won’t play unless you resurrect Freddie as well.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #3412: September 17, 2022, 09:31:20 AM »
John Deacon won’t play unless you resurrect Freddie as well.
deacon has the credit for another one bites the dust. He may be the richest one left after the royalties

Offline English Natsie

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #3414: September 17, 2022, 05:55:16 PM »
Apologies if link doesn't work in US (I've posted it as no regional restriction is mentioned - they usually say 'UK only', where that applies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-62902778

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #3415: September 19, 2022, 09:48:18 AM »
Spent this past Tuesday night in Morgantown, first time we've ever seen it.  We were transiting through from South Bend and there is a new Interstate Highway section coming down from Pittsburgh area - I79, that is completely empty and passes through quite beautiful wooded hill and small mountains.

Morgantown itself is fairly dirty, as there's a coal power plant right in town and besides the smokestack grit you have the constant flow of trucks into and out of town daily to fuel the plant.  The town itself is very hilly, along with WVU most of the downtown sits down lower along the Monongahela River while the surrounding hills are largely residential areas.  Residents have a really nice set of hills to challenge their daily walks!  One thing about the streets, they tend to be narrow and twisting, very limited sight lines so you have to be careful.  Traffic can be surprisingly difficult, you may wait 5 minutes at a stop sign behind a few cars hoping to make a turn but unable to due to dense traffic in both directions. 

One of the nicer outdoor spaces outside of town is Cheat Lake, very clean and clear water with hiking trails.

We were there less than 24 hours so didn't really have time to be able to directly answer your question but wanted to share my perceptions.  We stayed overnight with a friend and had a very nice Thai carryout dinner.  Plenty of students walking about, band was practicing which is always fun to be around.  Top thing to do would be to watch a WVU football game I would think but they're off to an 0-2 start so might be some crankiness.  Apparently the town has really cracked down on couch burning, stiff sentences for the most recent perpetrators. 

My #1 goal for Morgantown is to ride the PRT - the experimental public transit system that was built there in the 1970's as part of a federally funded experiment. There are only a few PRT systems in the world and the one in Morgantown is the most famous and well known.

About 20 mins south of Morgantown is Fairmont, WV which is the home town of Nick Saban. As far as I know, there is no monument or anything to Nick Saban there but they apparently have a unique style of hot dog that might be worth getting.

Just outside of Morgantown is something called Coopers Rock State Forest that is supposed to have a big scenic overlook. If the weather is nice we will stop there en route to Morgantown.

Offline imref

« Reply #3416: September 19, 2022, 11:25:59 AM »
IIRC the College has its own train system, i'm not sure if that's part of the PRT

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3417: September 19, 2022, 08:57:22 PM »
My #1 goal for Morgantown is to ride the PRT - the experimental public transit system that was built there in the 1970's as part of a federally funded experiment. There are only a few PRT systems in the world and the one in Morgantown is the most famous and well known.

About 20 mins south of Morgantown is Fairmont, WV which is the home town of Nick Saban. As far as I know, there is no monument or anything to Nick Saban there but they apparently have a unique style of hot dog that might be worth getting.

Just outside of Morgantown is something called Coopers Rock State Forest that is supposed to have a big scenic overlook. If the weather is nice we will stop there en route to Morgantown.

We saw the PRT - very cute!  My wife loved them, I was less exited until I heard they are unstaffed.  But don't you need a student pass or something to get on them? 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3418: September 19, 2022, 08:59:34 PM »
IIRC the College has its own train system, i'm not sure if that's part of the PRT

I thought that was one and the same - painted up in the WVU color scheme of course. 

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/thedaonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/2/fb/2fbd9002-486f-11ea-b35b-dba09a84cbba/5e3b4f90bd99e.image.jpg?resize=750%2C500

Offline imref

« Reply #3419: September 20, 2022, 12:01:14 AM »
I thought that was one and the same - painted up in the WVU color scheme of course. 

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/thedaonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/2/fb/2fbd9002-486f-11ea-b35b-dba09a84cbba/5e3b4f90bd99e.image.jpg?resize=750%2C500

that's it. I've heard about it but haven't been there.

Did you know they have the only degree program in the country for Scouting leadership?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3420: September 20, 2022, 10:11:03 AM »

Did you know they have the only degree program in the country for Scouting leadership?

Had no idea there was such a thing.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #3421: September 20, 2022, 10:31:09 AM »
I wonder if they've been grooming the courses in the sylabus.

that's it. I've heard about it but haven't been there.

Offline imref

« Reply #3422: September 20, 2022, 12:20:00 PM »
Had no idea there was such a thing.

i'm going to guess it's not one with a high ROI. :)

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #3423: September 20, 2022, 06:18:09 PM »
One of the 'new' unis (former polytechnic) over here offers a degree in golf course management...I guess the degree grades are Eagle, Birdie, Par and Bogey... :hysterical:

Offline blue911

« Reply #3424: September 21, 2022, 06:37:05 AM »
One of the 'new' unis (former polytechnic) over here offers a degree in golf course management...I guess the degree grades are Eagle, Birdie, Par and Bogey... :hysterical:

Over here golf course management could be called chemical application management