Author Topic: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread  (Read 147983 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Hot Stove 2020-21 (non-Nats)
« Reply #2825: March 17, 2021, 01:54:20 PM »
Can’t add too much to that.

Definitely Leonard’s for the Malasadas.

We went in August 2018 to Oahu. Recommend Kailua Beach on the windward side although you are more likely to get some liquid sunshine there. We used to use the beach at Ala Moana Park but now too many homeless. In fact the in laws told us Waikiki is currently a ghost town except for the homeless.

Wife and son went on to Kauai for a few days. They stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Lihue which they said was nice. 

I liked the Big Island. Might have just been that it was different than the other islands.  Change of pace while living there. Volcanoes Park is a must see.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Re: Re: Hot Stove 2020-21 (non-Nats)
« Reply #2826: March 17, 2021, 01:56:27 PM »
In fact the in laws told us Waikiki is currently a ghost town except for the homeless.

I'm just speculating here but I'd suspect their strict quarantine rules have pretty much decimated tourism.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2827: March 17, 2021, 01:57:47 PM »
I'm just speculating here but I'd suspect their strict quarantine rules have pretty much decimated tourism.
Yes.  Unless you have the money to stay in a hotel for two weeks before actually starting your vacation.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #2828: March 17, 2021, 02:05:35 PM »
Yes.  Unless you have the money to stay in a hotel for two weeks before actually starting your vacation.

I'm further speculating that you responded in the wrong forum?? ;)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2829: March 17, 2021, 02:07:23 PM »
I'm further speculating that you responded in the wrong forum?? ;)
Yes. 

Mods please. Clean up on aisle six.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #2830: March 17, 2021, 03:24:00 PM »

They only require a negative test result immediately before departing now...

Offline Count Walewski

Thanks everyone, it will take me days to get through all the detailed advice. Like I said, this is going to be only after I am vaccinated and unless I get diagnosed with something big in the coming weeks, I'll be one of the last people in Virginia vaccinated. My understanding is that right now Hawaii requires a negative test 72 hours before departure, but it has to be from a test provider that is on Hawaii's good list and not all are.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
I’m reiterating VaRK’s advice on Oahu. I stayed at the ocean cottages at Turtle Bay and it was bar none the best accommodations I have ever stayed in. That resort was great.
Pearl Harbor is a must see. The Polynesian cultural center was fantastic if you do the luau.

And lastly, one of the best meals I ever had was at La Mer in the Halekulani. I will warn you it is quite spendy.

https://www.halekulani.com/la-mer-restaurant

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Can’t add too much to that.

Definitely Leonard’s for the Malasadas.

We went in August 2018 to Oahu. Recommend Kailua Beach on the windward side although you are more likely to get some liquid sunshine there. We used to use the beach at Ala Moana Park but now too many homeless. In fact the in laws told us Waikiki is currently a ghost town except for the homeless.

Wife and son went on to Kauai for a few days. They stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Lihue which they said was nice. 

I liked the Big Island. Might have just been that it was different than the other islands.  Change of pace while living there. Volcanoes Park is a must see.

Leonard's. :az:  The first time we tried to go there the line was out the door and so we went to another malasada place nearby that was recommended to us, the owner previously worked for years at Leonards.

We loved the Big Island. Just overwhelming landscape and some interesting things to see. We hiked in the north, visited black sand beaches and the place of refuge in the south, and spent some time in Kona.  A highlight was a snorkeling trip near the Cook memorial.  We took an overnight trip to the Volcano park and did a few hikes and drove down to chain of craters road.

IIRC, Turtle Cay Resort on Oahu is where Forgetting Sara Marshall was filmed. 

We never wanted to go to Maui just because all the folks we knew who only wanted to hang out in resorts and drink went there.

Kayaking to the fern grotto in Kauai was a highlight as well, we also did a morning bikeride down along the canyon on the west side.

We used these guidebooks extensively in planning our trips and once we were there: https://www.revealedtravelguides.com/

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
I’m reiterating VaRK’s advice on Oahu. I stayed at the ocean cottages at Turtle Bay and it was bar none the best accommodations I have ever stayed in. That resort was great.
Pearl Harbor is a must see. The Polynesian cultural center was fantastic if you do the luau.

We went in ‘91. TWA had a $500 airfare and hotel special. (It’s no wonder they went bankrupt). The hotel was in Waikiki, but a couple blocks off the beach. The Maile Sky Court. It was billed as the tallest hotel in Hawaii. It was behind this army base that was really nothing more than a few huts and large fields. They did have a small chapel that we went to for Mass. Waikiki was bilingual, English and Japanese. The Japanese honeymooners had a circuit of Hawaii, Disneyland and back to Japan. Saw a lot of Honolulu in a few days and loved it. Pearl Harbor, diamond head, the beach where they filmed the beach scene in From Here To Eternity, the Kodak hula show, snorkeling, a bus tour around the island. It was the best $500 I ever spent. Oh, there are ABC stores on every street corner in Honolulu. (It’s their version of 7-11).

Offline imref

We went in ‘91. TWA had a $500 airfare and hotel special. (It’s no wonder they went bankrupt). The hotel was in Waikiki, but a couple blocks off the beach. The Maile Sky Court. It was billed as the tallest hotel in Hawaii. It was behind this army base that was really nothing more than a few huts and large fields. They did have a small chapel that we went to for Mass. Waikiki was bilingual, English and Japanese. The Japanese honeymooners had a circuit of Hawaii, Disneyland and back to Japan. Saw a lot of Honolulu in a few days and loved it. Pearl Harbor, diamond head, the beach where they filmed the beach scene in From Here To Eternity, the Kodak hula show, snorkeling, a bus tour around the island. It was the best $500 I ever spent. Oh, there are ABC stores on every street corner in Honolulu. (It’s their version of 7-11).

There's a disney resort now just west of Waikiki.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
IIRC, Turtle Cay Resort on Oahu is where Forgetting Sara Marshall was filmed. 

It was. That’s one of the reasons we went there. I think we were in the Room that Jason Segel’s character was in.

Offline imref

It was. That’s one of the reasons we went there. I think we were in the Room that Jason Segel’s character was in.

Coincidentally that movie was on tonight. The wife and I watched it for around the 15th time or so. 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Thanks everyone, it will take me days to get through all the detailed advice. Like I said, this is going to be only after I am vaccinated and unless I get diagnosed with something big in the coming weeks, I'll be one of the last people in Virginia vaccinated. My understanding is that right now Hawaii requires a negative test 72 hours before departure, but it has to be from a test provider that is on Hawaii's good list and not all are.

Here's something of an update for you:

https://www.westhawaiitoday.com/2021/03/16/hawaii-news/vaccines-could-lead-to-lifting-of-travel-restrictions/

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
[...]Nothing in Hawaii is cheap...not even the shave ice anymore, so be prepared to drop a pretty penny.[...]

It was ever thus (lived there from 1969-72).

Offline OldChelsea

European Union to unveil 'vaccine passport' to enable summer travel (apparently in both digital and paper versions): https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/vaccine-passports-europe-travel/2021/03/17/65d645d4-8672-11eb-be4a-24b89f616f2c_story.html

Offline Natsinpwc

It was ever thus (lived there from 1969-72).
As a federal worker I used to get a COLA. Over 20 percent.

Offline imref

US looking at relaxing travel restrictions in mid-May

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/18/biden-eyes-mid-may-to-begin-relaxing-covid-travel-restrictions-sources-say-.html

this of course assumes Brazil can be contained.

Offline OldChelsea

US looking at relaxing travel restrictions in mid-May

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/18/biden-eyes-mid-may-to-begin-relaxing-covid-travel-restrictions-sources-say-.html

this of course assumes Brazil can be contained.

I hope it happens but I'm not over-optimistic - Europe is a mess too as far as Covid (full disclosure: my current bookings include Stockholm on 25th May and Bratislava on 8th June, and I still have two other bookings I need to move).

Offline imref

We looked into booking flights to Spain and back over the new year. Rough prices were around $3k per person. Yikes.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
We looked into booking flights to Spain and back over the new year. Rough prices were around $3k per person. Yikes.
they say Spain is pretty, though I've never been.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?

We were in Barcelona during the valentines day blizzard some 15 years ago. It's a beautiful, vibrant, and bustling city.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
We were in Barcelona during the valentines day blizzard some 15 years ago. It's a beautiful, vibrant, and bustling city.
OK, Daniel.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?

Offline imref

I’ve been to Barcelona before. It’s beautiful.