Author Topic: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread  (Read 145123 times)

Online Natsinpwc

http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler.com/2021/03/covid-and-travel-there-is-light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel-but-the-cdc-wont-tell-you-about-it-yet/
No one is delaying travel even if not vaccinated.  The CDC will be a day late and dollar short as usual.  If it's not safe on an airplane then all the stuff about air exchange systems on planes if just BS (which is certainly possible).

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
No one is dealing travel even if not vaccinated.  The CDC will be a day late and dollar short as usual.  If it's not safe on an airplane then all the stuff about air exchange systems on planes if just BS (which is certainly possible).

Classic case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. I just posted an article showing the stats from TSA about air travel now surpassing the same date last year. Air travel is back yet the CDC still thinks it controls the universe.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

Online Natsinpwc

Classic case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. I just posted an article showing the stats from TSA about air travel now surpassing the same date last year. Air travel is back yet the CDC still thinks it controls the universe.
I posted some pre-COVD articles before about how germs spread quickly on planes and why you can easily catch the flu or a cold here.  Then COVID comes and air travel screeches to a near halt.  All of a sudden the airlines are bragging about how great their air systems are.  Have not seen any independent verification of their claims.  I know the masks help but undoubtedly someone would sneeze in my direction as soon as I lowered my mask to take a bite to eat. 

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
I posted some pre-COVD articles before about how germs spread quickly on planes and why you can easily catch the flu or a cold here.  Then COVID comes and air travel screeches to a near halt.  All of a sudden the airlines are bragging about how great their air systems are.  Have not seen any independent verification of their claims.  I know the masks help but undoubtedly someone would sneeze in my direction as soon as I lowered my mask to take a bite to eat. 

American Airlines in particular is getting repeatedly called out on Skytrax for packing its planes to the max.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
American Airlines in particular is getting repeatedly called out on Skytrax for packing its planes to the max.

Everyone has a choice to board or not board. No one is being forced to get on a plane.

Online Natsinpwc

Everyone has a choice to board or not board. No one is being forced to get on a plane.
So I pay for a ticket with the understanding that it won't be filled and then they switch that.  Called bait and switch.  They know people are not going to walk away.  Why claim middle seats are not occupied when they are? Why can't they say there air systems are so fabulous that it doesn;t matter anymore?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
So I pay for a ticket with the understanding that it won't be filled and then they switch that.  Called bait and switch.

That's a terrible misunderstanding on yours or anyone elses. If you want a private flight then fish out your Bitcoin and talk to these people. :mg:

https://wheelsup.com/

Online Natsinpwc

That's a terrible misunderstanding on yours or anyone elses. If you want a private flight then fish out your Bitcoin and talk to these people. :mg:

https://wheelsup.com/
I stand corrected. Only Delta still blocking middle seats. So the complainers should stop complaining I guess.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/airline-social-distancing-policies/

Are you using Wheels Up for your Florida trip? 

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Are you using Wheels Up for your Florida trip? 

Prius.   :money:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

But is it packing it’s max planes to the max?

Offline OldChelsea

But is it packing it’s max planes to the max?

I am not personally aware of specific complaints involving the 737 Max (assuming that's what you're talking about) but it wouldn't be surprising - I haven't been on one myself but my understanding is that the 737 Max breaks major new ground in passenger discomfort.

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Ryanair ordered 200+ MAXes so they must be horrible  :P

Offline OldChelsea

Ryanair ordered 200+ MAXes so they must be horrible  :P

The airline that nearly put pay toilets in their passenger cabins...sounds like them.

Offline imref

I am not personally aware of specific complaints involving the 737 Max (assuming that's what you're talking about) but it wouldn't be surprising - I haven't been on one myself but my understanding is that the 737 Max breaks major new ground in passenger discomfort.

I've heard the opposite, it's more spacious than a regular 737 with larger overhead bins. Of course, it has an issue staying in the air.

I absolutely hate the narrow aisles and cramped spacing of the non-Max 737s so it can't be any worse, can it?

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Those are the roomettes, available for an upgrade on Ryanair
it's more spacious than a regular 737 with larger overhead bins.

Offline imref

Those are the roomettes, available for an upgrade on Ryanair

:hysterical:

Offline Count Walewski

I have been to 46 states and once I'm vaccinated I want to make that 47. After initially researching Alaska and finding out that even after the stimulus I can't afford to go there, I am now researching Hawaii.

Any advice? Is it too ambitious to want to do Oahu, Maui, AND the Big Island in just 12 days?

Online Natsinpwc

I have been to 46 states and once I'm vaccinated I want to make that 47. After initially researching Alaska and finding out that even after the stimulus I can't afford to go there, I am now researching Hawaii.

Any advice? Is it too ambitious to want to do Oahu, Maui, AND the Big Island in just 12 days?
No. That’s a good time. Spend most of your time outside Oahu. Don’t forget Kauai.

Offline imref

No. That’s a good time. Spend most of your time outside Oahu. Don’t forget Kauai.

2 days on Oahu to see Pearl Harbor and hike diamond head is enough. I’ve been to Hawaii three times, the big island is my favorite. Followed by Kauai. I’ve never been to Maui.

To add, here's the itinerary we followed for trips 1-3 (honeymoon and then 15 years later with kids):
- 3 nights on Oahu (Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, and a trip to the north to the Polynesian Cultural Center), this could easily be shortened to 2 nights
- 6-7 nights on the big island (5 on the west side, 2 on the Hilo side to see Volcanoes NP). We spent our east coast time snorkeling, at the beach, and in Kona.  The best resorts are north of the airport (we LOVED Hilton Kings' Land and hated Hilton Waikaloa Hawaiian Village).  On the east side we stayed at an old YMCA youth camp that's now a B&B just outside of the park entrance

Keep an eye on Manua Loa, it's gurgling again.

On Kauai we stayed in Poipu Beach at an outrigger and loved it, great location for touring the island.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Disney to open their 2 Cali parks on April 30 at 15% capacity.

Offline HalfSmokes

http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler.com/2021/03/covid-and-travel-there-is-light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel-but-the-cdc-wont-tell-you-about-it-yet/

people know that vaccinated people are generally safe- no one is buying the we still need to be terrified line. The question is whether vaccine passports will become a thing. Personally I doubt it because Americans are very squeamish about national registries, but we'll see 

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
people know that vaccinated people are generally safe- no one is buying the we still need to be terrified line.

Correctomundo!  :thumbs:

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness

I'd say 12 days is the bare minimum to cram all that in.  PWC and I both lived there for a number of years.  I was last there in June of 2019.  I'm sure we'd both be happy address any questions you may have thru a PM regarding your specific interests.

Not sure I'd choose Hawai'i as a spot to go during Covid, but only you can judge your comfort level with those limitations.  Be sure to follow their Covid-19 testing protocol even if you have been fully vaccinated, and bring all of that paperwork.

The Big Island:

Easily the last island I would choose to visit.  It's very large and primarily lava rock and cattle ranches other than the seaports.  I never did witness the volcano eruptions, so that may be of interest to you.  If you go during hurricane/tsunami season, this island will likely be at the tip of the spear...

Maui: 

You need to select somewhere to stay - West Maui or the Kihei area are the 2 most popular.  Time Share rentals are abundant, and depending upon the time of year, can be a real bargain.  I believe that either The City and County of Honolulu or The State has limited the number of Time Share rentals, so I don't know what impact that may have.  If the latter, it could impact Maui inventory.

Lahaina Town will be the primary tourist destination in West Maui and the bulk of the hotels are up the road in Kaanapali.  A drive to Kapalua along the Lower Honoapiilani Hwy. if you've time for that.  I worked on Maui for years...never stayed in Kihei, it was always too hot.  You will already have missed the prime whale watching season, though it theoretically runs thru May.     

A drive to the top of Haleakala to see the sunrise is high on the to-do list.  This is where NASA did the testing of the Lunar Rover.  Lots of interesting foliage along the way.  Not sure if this is the year for Silver Swords or not. 

A drive to Hana and the Seven Pools is another must, though this is an all day adventure and there really isn't much to see when you arrive.  This is more about the journey than the destination.  We've a friend that lives in Hana...it's a pretty sleepy place other than for the rental car traffic.

You may want to look into a helicopter tour if you are into that.  Keep in mind, this is nowhere near as crowded as Honolulu during non-Covid-19 times, but it is very popular.

Kauai: 

They say Maui no ka oi...but to me, Kauai is the best.  Very sleepy and landscape ranging from essentially desert out towards Barking Sands, to a lush tropical climate inland, with magnificent almost deserted beaches and towering mountains and waterfalls. 

Most people tend to stay in the Princeville area these days.  We used to enjoy the Coco Palms Hotel back in the day (their cabins had a zoo and private swimming pools in an enclosed lanai) but it was wiped out during a hurricane and is set for demolition after having remained vacant for many, many years.

This is another place to consider a helicopter tour, perhaps even moreso than Maui, to view the Na Pali Coast and it's waterfalls.  Stop at Tahiti Nui, a restaurant/bar in Hanalei on the way to Tunnels Beach.  My daughter tells us there is also a restaurant across the street from Tahiti Nui that is run by a VT or UVA grad...I forget which...adorned with appropriate sports memorabilia.

Kauai just underwent significant flooding and a road closure, but I suspect things will be sorted out by the time you would get there.

Ni'ihau:

While a private island, for the past 30+ years they have allowed tourists to drop in by helicopter for a very structured look at a society that has remained virtually unchanged since...essentially forever.  There are no overnight accommodations.

O'ahu:

I would encourage you to look into the Turtle Bay Resort in Kahuku.  I think bluestreak will back me up on that.  It is not far from the attractions you might want to see, but well away from the concrete jungle that is Honolulu.  Do avoid rush hour...not sure how busy things are with Covid, but normally, it makes DC rush hour traffic look tame.  You will pass thru more rural areas that are themselves quite popular, such as the Banzai Pipeline, Haleiwa and the Kole Kole Pass on your way to Honolulu. 

The Polynesian Cultural Center in Laie is quite worthwhile, if only for the luau and evening show.  You might get into the day tour...I never did, but I lived there.

From what I think I know about you, Pearl Harbor and the Pacific Aviation Museum are right in your wheelhouse.

Of course, you'll still want to see Waikiki just to cross that off your bucket list.  Back in '05 our oldest daughter said to me "So this is Waikiki Beach?  Lotta hype, huh?"  She nailed it.

Other Thoughts

I skipped Lanai and Moloka'i, as should you...

Nothing in Hawaii is cheap...not even the shave ice anymore, so be prepared to drop a pretty penny. 

I'm certain I've left some things out...like Leonard's Bakery...and screwed some things up, but PWC can likely fill in some blanks...